Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:46 PM

394 posts, read 1,518,304 times

Advertisements

I don't think that weed should be legalized.

I just believe it shouldn't be painted in such a horrible light like most do. Its not that bad. And when something like alcohol and tobacco is legal, its rediculous to have marijuana be illegal as well as how bad of a repuatation it gets. People act like its the devil. I have never seen anyone get high and fight. People get high and connect on common grounds.
I have never seen a kid fall flat on his face because of pot.
I have never seen someone punch a wall in anger because of pot.
I have never seen someone get into a car, swirve off the road, and run head on with a tree because of pot.
I have never seen a girl get SOO high that she passes out, vomits and dies because of pot. I have never seen someone smoke pot and throw up.
I have never seen someone smoke pot and break up with their significant other because of sloppy reasons.
I have never seen someone smoke SOO much pot that they have to call in sick to work the next day.
I have never seen someone smoke soo much pot that they **** themselves.
I have never seen someone smoke so much pot that they stand up, dance around and regret things the next day.
I have never seen an uncle smoke so much pot that they become pot-aholics and **** away their marraige, life, house, career, and family

All of these things I have witnessed first hand from alcohol, and its all happened in the past 2 years. Its not skewed, because I know a lot of people that smoke pot-a lot of pot, and issues like this never arise.

What im saying is that I would rather see police put more of an effort to stop drinking mistakes like fights and driving, and stop trying so hard to prosecute those with dime bags of marijuana who sit around listening to music and smoking a joint.

Also, $5 a day for cigarettes = $35 a week in cigarettes. I would say that the average smoker spends $ 30-35 a week in cigarettes. Pot smokers generally smoke on average $20-35 a week on pot-depending on the strain. So I guess it is pretty even. But, id still rather put something into me that grew from the earth-you know, like apples, bananas, grapes, and marijuana ,-than a plethora of chemicals like cigarettes, thats all.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 PM

Here's also a story that actually was what I would like to see all the time, and basically what I'm getting at.

My roomate and I, after 4 days of rough college courses-where we were good students-3.3 and 3.8 respectivly, rolled a joint, and drove to a quaint, unpopular quiet parking lot at a park at 11 pm. No kids around, hardly any vehicles on the road- you know, safe. Sitting there, we see a black Tahoe pull into the lot on the other end. Still sitting there, we just assumed it was some other kids or people, no big deal. The next thing we know we hear knocking at the window-So I roll the window down and see a badge hanging from a gentleman's neck wearing street clothes. The man promptly asks "What you boys doing?" - I, quickly replied amidst the smoke - "Just smoking marijuana sir" From there the officer asked us to step out, hand over the half smoked joint and called over his partner who quickly arrived and began the search of the vehicle. After an unsuccessful search of the vehcile they continued on by taking out ID's and bringing them back to the Tahoe, where the other officer made sure we didnt do anything dumb. While standing there waiting, we struck of a conversation with the officer. We asked "SO what agency are you guys?" and he replied that he was part of the Tri-County task force that works on ridding drugs from the community. We talked about local issues, and got talking about how much of a problem meth is and what types of people are using it- moms, dads, little kids, professionals, low lifes, etc... As the other officer returned he handed us our IDs and began by saying "Welll, you boys have squeaky clean records- You both look like intelligent kids ( we were both well dress, clean cut guys, who opted out of sloshing out brains away at a bar like the HUNDREDs of college kids we sat in class with and eventually would graduate with)...He continued to say that "Basically, you guys are under our radar- We get it, you're young college guys, smoking a doobie after a long day of class-you're out of the way of traffic and people, you're not driving around and doing so, you're not doing it in day light" "You guys, we have bigger fish to fry" He also said that "The best thing I could have said when he approached was - ""Just smoking marijuana officer"" He went on by saying " You can sit here and hang out until your high goes away, or if you're fine , I'd suggest that you guys drive home and have a beer"... -What was ironic was that we weren't even 21.

Basically we were 2 responsible dudes that while our collegues, friends, classmates were out getting trashed making stupid decisions-we had intellectual conversation about our coursework while listening to the newest Oasis album in my car in a remote area.

I'm proud to say that I was that kid and not the kids slurring my words and screaming out obscene things, and pinching ladies butts at a bar...

Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
So......you don't think it should be legalized, but it is admittedly less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Unless you are a closet prohibitionist, I am beginning to wonder if you can discern up from down. Besides that, and your insistance on calling people out only for certain vices, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
That is a great story. The world needs fewer drunks and more tokers.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
So......you don't think it should be legalized, but it is admittedly less harmful than alcohol and tobacco. Unless you are a closet prohibitionist, I am beginning to wonder if you can discern up from down. Besides that, and your insistance on calling people out only for certain vices, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Haha, yes I made it very confusing. I no longer dabble in that stuff, as I have grown up and closed that chapter of the books. I think that as it is becoming accepted, there still are people who would put marijuana in the same boat as alcohol.

Both are very acceptable in my opinion if used discretely, in moderation, and used by individuals who are mature enough to handle it in a proper manner.

Those instances with alcohol i listed are freak incidents. They could have all be avoided with moderate, social drinking-like many of us take part in..

Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,538 times
I have no logical argument against legalization, I just don't see it happening in our current society.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
yawn

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I think that marijuana should be legalized simply because 1) tons of people do it anyways 2) the mob and gang members will not be able to price it.

I already gave my opinion on this topic in another thread on the subject, but I'll say this:

-After WWII, the American Lung Association did a massive 7 year study on cigarette smoking. Thousands of subjects were studied form young to old, black to white, male and female, smoker and non-smoker. It was this study that 'proved' that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer. An interesting note, though, is that prior to WWII most people got their nicotine through pipes, cigars, chew or snuff. Rates of lung cancer were relatively low until people began inhaling tobacco into their lungs via cigarettes. With all of the pipe and cigar smoke you'd think that the rates of cancer caused by second hand smoke would have been higher.

No study of this magnitude has been done on marijuana. It's hard to say if marijuana causes cancer or not partially be a lack of study on the subject and also because a lot of people who smoke pot may not admit to it if asked, or they may lie about the amount that they smoke and everyone that I know who smokes pot, except for one, also smokes cigarettes.

-Marijuana, tobacco and alcohol are all natural, form the earth.

-Marijuana may not be physically addicting, but it sure is mentally. I have lost track of how many times one of my mellow pot smoking friends began to act like a raging di*khead because they had no weed to smoke. Or they were making 3-am phone calls to everyone in that they knew, and driving all over town, acting like a crackhead, just for weed. Doesn't that sound like addiction? Needing pot to mellow out?

-No one has gotten into a car accident because unless they just smoked prior, those responding to the scene will have know way of knowing. You can smell alcohol on the breath hours after you've stopped drinking. Do you honestly think that a person who wrecked their car after toking up is going to admit to doing so?

I have been in many a car ride when the driver had said something to the effect of Glad we made it, I was almost too stoned to drive. I have even said that myself.

-I have long since stopped smoking pot because it makes me feel like I am going batsh*t crazy, even just smelling the stuff can trigger anxiety. So, because of that, I have a staunch Do not smoke your pot around me policy. But you know what? You know how many of my friends and others that I encounter who still think that it is okay to toke up in my house, or car? Without even asking and just assuming that I would be cool with it? Almost all of them. They just can't wait five more minutes until I park the car and they could smoke themselves silly.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
And, an eighth of pot is around $50. That eighth would last most people I know three days tops, so that is roughly $100 a week that they are spending on pot.

I had a room mate once who smoked pot everyday. This guy lost his job and didn't work for about a month. We lived in a five-bedroom, two story apartment with three other people. He was the one who dealt with the landlord, so we all gave him our rent money. This guy, who could barely afford to eat ramon, left the house with the rent money and returned later with a case of beer and an ounce of pot. He darted the issue of how he was able to afford his purchase and even had the audacity to accuse another room mate of not paying rent as the reason for the total rent being short. The accused roommate eventually caved in and forked over more money.

Yeah, pot smokers never do anything shady

Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
I've been pushing for legalization for years. The government should legalize marijuana and heavily tax it. The tax revenues could be used to pay off debts and balance the budget as well as provide for marijuana studies and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: