Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM

26 posts, read 85,602 times

Advertisements

I have read many posts about "Minnesota Nice" and of people who had difficulty making friends. I was wondering if this was true about Rochester. I thought with the Mayo there would be a lot of people living there who aren't from the state, I was also wondering if its location (near Wisonsin and Iowa) would make it a little more friendly. Please let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Cities aren't friendly, people are friendly. Every town in the world is going to have crabby people and overly friendly people and everything in between. I am not sure what Rochester's location would have to do with anything. You will find that people react in kind, meaning if you are friendly, outgoing and nice, you will find the same in people.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 AM

"Cities aren't friendly, people are friendly. Every town in the world is going to have crabby people and overly friendly people and everything in between. I am not sure what Rochester's location would have to do with anything. You will find that people react in kind, meaning if you are friendly, outgoing and nice, you will find the same in people."

Your reply is tedious and you missed the point. If you had been reading the Minnesota threads you would have realized that many people who move there complain about the unfriendliness of the people (obviously the people, I realize a street light, or other things which make up the structure of a city, is an inanimate object and not capable of friendliness). Some people claim that the unfriendliness is cultural to Minnesotans but Iowa and Wisconsin are friendlier which explains why I refer to its geographic position. Also some say that the unfriendliness is worse in small towns. With Rochester being around 100,000 population it isn't too big or too small, hence the question. Having moved around the world for much of my life I disagree with you, people aren't just people wherever you go. Some places are nicer and more considerate, it has to do with the culture.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
This is the 2nd time I've lived in Rochester. The first time, my husband and I weren't married yet and no children. I had no problem whatsoever making friends. Neither did my husband. All of my friends were through work, but I worked 2nd and 3rd shift so I slept away part of the day. This time it did take a little bit longer - but it wasn't because there weren't friendly people I'd run into. I was working at home and have 3 kids. I'm not working anymore but most of the people I come into contact with are other parents.

I think you will find some people are quite snobby here. That doesn't necessarily have to do with how much money people make either. Some people get a sense of superiority or entitlement here - probably because of working for Mayo or IBM.

There are lots of people here who work for Mayo and IBM who live in Wisconsin and Iowa. I've never asked any that I know what they think of people here though. I do remember the 1st time we lived here the only person I didn't get along with was from Wisconsin.

I understand what you mean about small towns. I have heard of 2 small towns within easy commuting distance of Rochester that are not at all receptive to newcomers. I'm sure that's not the case with all of them around here as back in like the early 1970s, Rochester was a city much, much smaller than it is now. So there are a lot of people not originally from the area who live here now due to Mayo.

I think the whole Minnesota Nice thing has gotten out of control. You can take it with a grain of salt or let it determine your whole view of the state. It's kind of sad that the slogan was ever created. Having grown up in NE MN, I can honestly say people seem more courteous up there. If you hold a door for someone up there, you will hear thank you. I very rarely hear it here. I've even had people wait for me as I open the door and push a stroller through on my own rather than help me or use another door. If you come to a 4-way stop and you let someone go, people here rarely acknowledge it but up north they wave. But I've also never had a problem with smiling in return when I smile or saying hello. I can go for a walk and pass someone by and they will say hello or smile. So it's all how you look at it IMO. Could those unfriendly people be the people who've relocated here or people who've lived here for 20, 30 years? I have no idea. I just don't take it personally.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:37 PM

Thanks so much for the insight. My husband and I are looking to relocate to Rochester next spring. Your reply was really helpful!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:07 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaplayful View Post
"Cities aren't friendly, people are friendly. Every town in the world is going to have crabby people and overly friendly people and everything in between. I am not sure what Rochester's location would have to do with anything. You will find that people react in kind, meaning if you are friendly, outgoing and nice, you will find the same in people."

Your reply is tedious and you missed the point. If you had been reading the Minnesota threads you would have realized that many people who move there complain about the unfriendliness of the people (obviously the people, I realize a street light, or other things which make up the structure of a city, is an inanimate object and not capable of friendliness). Some people claim that the unfriendliness is cultural to Minnesotans but Iowa and Wisconsin are friendlier which explains why I refer to its geographic position. Also some say that the unfriendliness is worse in small towns. With Rochester being around 100,000 population it isn't too big or too small, hence the question. Having moved around the world for much of my life I disagree with you, people aren't just people wherever you go. Some places are nicer and more considerate, it has to do with the culture.
I do read the MN threads and my post was in direct response to those threads, you will find crabby people and nice people everywhere, MN is no exception. Each person's experience will be different. On another thread one person posted about how unfriendly Orange County, CA was yet my parents lived there for several years and found their neighbors to be wonderful, friendly and they are still in contact with them many years later. That is the point. I will beg to differ that WI and IA are "friendlier" then MN, you will find no difference overall in any of the 3 states. I have also realized that the people that post how 'unfriendly' MN is also tend to be crabby themselves and thus, their experience is a result of that.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:47 PM

69 posts, read 198,092 times
From my experience Rochester is a nice place to live if your into flat boring corn towns. But the jobs are great there and it is fastest growing city outside of the twin cities. Personally if I were moving to minnesota, I would go to duluth. But Duluth needs jobs and less people exploiting its niceness(welfare). But I still think I would rather struggle in Duluth then succeed in Rochester. It has stuff to do when your bored. Lots and lots of stuff

Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Rochester is the fastest growing city in the state and definitely has more to offer than Duluth - aside from the big lake, which makes Duluth a nice place to go to for the weekends.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:25 PM

69 posts, read 198,092 times
Yes it has more jobs to offer, but if you think it has more to offer then you sir are smoking crack. Only city in minnesota you can ski at one of the three areas,surf,xc ski,snowmobile, go see a play in the same day. Or in the summer, go sailing, waterskiing, walk the board walk fish and watch the sixth largest marathon in the country all in one day. That is the dumbest thing I have heard yet. Hahahahaha. The best qualities Rochester has is that it is near bluff country. Good flyfishing and ok skiing. And of course jobs. But by your rational, I'm sure you think Fargo has more to offer then Duluth too. Like tumbleweeds, and wind. The fact that Duluth ranks in the top ten cities in Outside magazine for activities is proof. And that you who live four hours away still drives to Duluth on Weekends for stuff to do. I live in Bozeman MT and Duluth is the only place in the midwest I would ever visit. Period....Unless I get sick, then I'll go to rochester Mayo.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:05 PM

You're real mature, skip. I know everything there is to know about Duluth as I lived there for over 30 years. I would still pick Rochester. Not everyone is all about doing outdoor activities all year. I do not go every weekend for activities. I go for family. And I do not appreciate being called "sir". You need to grow up. Perhaps you should move on back to Duluth and you can be another person on these forums who can't stop talking about how great Duluth is. It's not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota