Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I think it is the Minnesota winter that makes me hate the state as much as I do. I loved growing up in Minnesota. I loved being able to relax by the lake with friends during High School. In big cities you can't do that.

But the winters, which usually last (at least psychologically) from October until early May, are too much.
This is the main reason that I want to leave Minnesota. Everything else about Minnesota is great. If they could pluck the Twin Cities metro and place it somewhere with a warm climate, it'd be the greatest place to live ever

I hate winter with a passion. I don't care if I never see snow again. And I've lived in the Midwest and Great Lakes area for twenty years.

I'm actually considering Yuma. Yes yes I know, the heat. I absolutely love heat. I'm talkin' 90s, even 100s aren't a problem for me. I honestly don't mind at all. And this is coming from a person who lived in Chicago during the '95 heat wave. As long as it ain't too humid.

And it's a smaller city with not much going on, that's exactly what I'm looking for. All my life I've lived in either Milwaukee, Chicago or Minneapolis. I'd like to live somewhere smaller for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,773 times
I've got to weigh in with kuan, newcastle, and steve-o on this. Snow and winter provide a far greater variety of things to do - skiing (alpine and x-c), snowshoeing, snowmobiles, winter camping, or just building a snow fort with the kids and having a snowball fight! A fresh blanket of snow can make even a busy city seem calm and peaceful for awhile. My biggest gripe with being in Portland is there's no true winter with consistent snow on the ground. The mountains are close by, but I like looking out the window and seeing snow!

And mosquitoes aren't that bad in MN. At least not compared to out in the woods in Alaska!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:21 PM

443 posts, read 2,135,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm1518 View Post
This is the main reason that I want to leave Minnesota. Everything else about Minnesota is great. If they could pluck the Twin Cities metro and place it somewhere with a warm climate, it'd be the greatest place to live ever

I hate winter with a passion. I don't care if I never see snow again. And I've lived in the Midwest and Great Lakes area for twenty years.

I'm actually considering Yuma. Yes yes I know, the heat. I absolutely love heat. I'm talkin' 90s, even 100s aren't a problem for me. I honestly don't mind at all. And this is coming from a person who lived in Chicago during the '95 heat wave. As long as it ain't too humid.

And it's a smaller city with not much going on, that's exactly what I'm looking for. All my life I've lived in either Milwaukee, Chicago or Minneapolis. I'd like to live somewhere smaller for once.
Yuma is WONDERFUL in the winter. So sunny all the time. Someone told me that Yuma was in the guiness book of world records for the most sunny days? I don't know if that is true but it sure seemed like it! The summers are yes VERY hot. Tripple digits from end of May to early Sept but there is hardly any humidity. A pool is a must in my opinion, and if you can afford it a boat or some sea doos are awesome for the river. If your into dirt biking and that stuff than you would love quading on the dunes.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 25,943 times
I was born and raised in Minnesota, grew up in one of those small towns that if you blinked you missed the whole town. I couldn't wait to graduate HS and move to the cities and make the big money. Once I got to the cities I found a job, found a place to live, all the things you need to survive. I often wonder what it is about MN that keeps me here, but I think a few people have mentioned it, the friendly people. I spend the summer evenings with neighbors just shooting the bull, or hang out with family and friends, long past the going out and parting age.
Now I'm to the point where I can't wait for retirement so I can move back to one of the small towns that I hated as a kid and enjoy my retirement.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 PM

56 posts, read 223,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
I tried getting a job in Arizona once. It was like pulling teeth!

LOL-- Too Funny!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsiorgal View Post
I've met people like the OP who call the midwest or Minnesota or (enter city name) "dull" -- "not much to offer" -- "pathetic" -- and these are the people who lack imagination, who grow bored very easily because they haven't a lot of inner resources to draw on, and who don't have a lot of innate curiosity about their surroundings. There are always new people to meet -- new ideas to encounter -- new landscapes to explore -- no matter where you live: small town, big city, suburb, exurb, midwest, coast, etc. And in bigger cities (e.g. MSP) there are always a lot of resources such as museums, libraries, theater, live music, sports, etc., no to mention the diversity of people. There is definitely something for everyone -- that is, for people who chose to look for it, and not expect it to come after them.

The original poster is young and fairly inexperienced and, as other posters have said, your 20's is a great time to explore. By all means, get out of MN and see what you can see! Find somewhere that suits you. But I've lived around the US and in western Europe and visited many, many places and I have to say that "pathetic" is a state of mind and not a place you visit or live. The OP's comment that everyone who thinks Minnesota or Wisconsin are "great" is "just stupid" -- well, that says far more about the OP than it does about MN, WI, or their admirers.

So remember, OP: no matter where you go -- there you are.
Sometimes people grow bored very easily because they have alot to draw on within, but their surroundings aren't stimulating..I think people are always looking over the horizon to new places.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Girl View Post
Because of my husband's job, we moved to Lakeville, MN from Baton Rouge, Louisiana one year ago. My husband grew up in Plymouth, MN and I in Louisiana and we are "always" comparing the two states. My husband could not take the heat and humidity in Louisiana and I can't take the long, cold winters in Minnesota. I've heard about "Minnesota Nice" but it's a far cry from "Southern Hospitality". Boy, am I homesick!

There's a big world out there - go and explore it. Only then will you be able to determine where "home" is.

I'm sure that would be an adjustment. I love Louisiana although I've never been South. I would love heat and humidity- hate snow. I think you are right about the Southern Hospitality- my friend is just the nicest person you'd ever meet, and she says people in LA are really friendly, and like to talk to you (esp N. O). Hope you aren't still stuck in Lakeville!

Last edited by summer grace; 11-04-2008 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want_out View Post
I think its absolutely good to get away from where you're from and see somewhere else, no matter where you're from. Everywhere is different and if nothing else, its good to get some perspective.

One of the reasons I hate Minnesota, is that it seems so few people have done that, or if they have, they've like gone to college in Chicago or some other midwestern city for a few years and come right back and think they've seen the world.

I've moved here from New Jersey (via NYC, Seattle, DC, Vermont and Virginia and have lived here almost two years (moved for my husband's work). It is my least favorite place of all of the places I have lived. Yes, its affordable, clean, pleasant, and of course "nice." But its dull, frigid, flat and just well, bland. Its hard to adjust to here where every vaguely ethnic restaurant is hyped to no end and they are always kind americanized and dull, I have yet to eat a spicy dish in this entire city.

The suburbs are usually development style, not old houses unless you're right in the city, there are endless strip malls. I don't know, if you're from the midwest, this will probably be okay but if you're from the east coast where they have real towns, old homes are the norm, you will feel like you are in a generic wonderland.

People are nice but they are not interested in really getting to know you. Everyone here grew up here and you will find if you're not from around here that you are left out and there are very few young or even older professionals that move here so you will be alone. And you will be expected to laud Minnesota and say how much better it is than everywhere else (even at the DMV where they really laid into NJ bizarrely when I went to chagne my license), I just went along but if an NJ person did that to a Minnesota person, well, they never would, and I guess that's what ironic.

It would be nice to be from here, but if you're not, you will probably not like it. And the weather is very, very bad. Minnesota was hyped to me as this cultural oasis in the midwest, and maybe it is, I've lived anywhere else in the midwest, but if it is, its a disappointment. Well I'm unhappy and am hoping to move and I'm sure no one will miss me and my negative attitude but just wanted to put my two cents in -- Minnesota is generally just an okay, dull place to live, on the whole average with below average weather.
What you say about the people is dead on! I love the landscape of NE IA, but the people in MN and Iowa! Nice people seem to be ALWAYS not from the area!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
Yuma is WONDERFUL in the winter. So sunny all the time. Someone told me that Yuma was in the guiness book of world records for the most sunny days? I don't know if that is true but it sure seemed like it! The summers are yes VERY hot. Tripple digits from end of May to early Sept but there is hardly any humidity. A pool is a must in my opinion, and if you can afford it a boat or some sea doos are awesome for the river. If your into dirt biking and that stuff than you would love quading on the dunes.

Good luck!

I have thought of relocation to AZ at times too for the heat.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times
I don't know how anyone could really hate MN as a state. It's nice here. It's just, the weather is too cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota