U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM

1,454 posts, read 4,169,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I must like hockey? Oh, bother.... I hate these kind of sports.

It looks like Minnesota wins. Now I need to find a good job there then I can put my roots down. I was originally intending on relocating to NY, but after the tax hikes...

Anyone knows what's hiring? Any places to check out wanted ads? Thanks!
Hockey can be interesting to watch sometimes! But you don't HAVE to like it. That's just like saying that you HAVE to like surfing to live in Hawaii.

It really depends on what you're looking for when finding a job, what field, industry, etc. How much is the minimum you're willing to get paid, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 AM

15 posts, read 31,397 times
I wish you luck. I havent been their in a long time so I hope things are what they seem they are.

I have spoken with longtime almost long lost bestfriend from the cities and he said the economy is hitting them pretty hard too. He has a professional job and had been doing very well for himself for many years and even he is going through some tough times.

Hospitals are even laying people off.

Dont have to tell you about the housing market,,, just watch the news and im sure it's still part of the headlines. Yep its hitting Mn too.

I would say plan on hitting the college thing while this blows over if you cant find a job right off. Win Win sort of thing. Plus you'll meet some people very quickly I think. If things arent what they sounded to be, at least you have an education for support at your next stop.

Have fun and Good Luck.. Open Mind,,, Open Mind

Last edited by GoWild; 12-19-2008 at 01:44 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 04:57 AM

4 posts, read 22,539 times
I didn't read all the posts in this thread so I apologize ifI am being repetitive. St Cloud may be a thought. It's about 65 NW of the Twin Cities. It is very much a prominent college town with St Cloud St and St Benedict and St Johns a few miles west of the city limits.
[url]//www.city-data.com/city/St.-Cloud-Minnesota.html[/url]

Old 12-26-2008, 11:49 PM

256 posts, read 606,477 times
Quote:
Sounds good. I'll check out Duluth. Any other areas? How big is Duluth? How's the crime? I see it's a port city, so...

I view small towns as towns having 15k or less in population, and is not a part of any metro area [which is real tough nowadays].

How does the cold differ there from here? Although we hardly get snow anymore, it's always below freezing in the winter months. It's constantly windy, which gives the climate a nasty wind chill which makes it feel colder than it already is. I can deal with that just fine. I like it much better if it isn't windy - then I'm happy outside in the white stuff. I like snow that stays snow. Here, it turns mush then freezes up as the day/night pass.

ND always seem desolate to me. But it's different, and I like different.
I live in Western Minnesota and you would probably like it. I'm talking like Kandiyohi County and the town of Willmar and many other small communities (with much less than 15,000, but close enough to larger areas), Granite Falls, maybe even Marshall in Yellow Medicine County. They are pretty big on hunting out here. Not a lot of crime in these areas, either. The housing is much cheaper out here than in the Twin Cities area, and you can get a lot more for your money with big yards and quiet neighborhoods. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 AM

3,663 posts, read 7,995,812 times
Mn is overcrowded. You could check out another state.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,652,345 times
Quote:
I must like hockey? Oh, bother.... I hate these kind of sports.

It looks like Minnesota wins. Now I need to find a good job there then I can put my roots down. I was originally intending on relocating to NY, but after the tax hikes...

Anyone knows what's hiring? Any places to check out wanted ads? Thanks!
You don't have to like hockey. I know many, many people that don't, including me, and we all get along just fine in MN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarimn00 View Post
I live in Western Minnesota and you would probably like it. I'm talking like Kandiyohi County and the town of Willmar and many other small communities (with much less than 15,000, but close enough to larger areas), Granite Falls, maybe even Marshall in Yellow Medicine County. They are pretty big on hunting out here. Not a lot of crime in these areas, either. The housing is much cheaper out here than in the Twin Cities area, and you can get a lot more for your money with big yards and quiet neighborhoods. Good luck.
Marshall, which is in Lyon County not Yellow Med. if you are going to research that, would be a perfect option for you. It is a very nicely kept town with several major employers with all levels of employment opportunities. It has all of your day to day shopping needs and is an 1 1/2 to Sioux Falls for everything else.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 AM

129 posts, read 459,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
The last few days have been pretty scary. I think an old lady at my grandma's nursing home put a curse on me last week! She looked straight at me, raised her arms above her head and said, "Have a happy holiday" while swinging her arms straight down, continued saying "because tomorrow you die!"

It snowed. I was on driving down Piedmont toward Hwy 53 intersection. Lady pulls out in front of me. Bam! Airbag in my face, a few bruises, and bad neck pain all week.
Sorry about your accident.Hope you're feeling better!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:55 PM

721 posts, read 2,435,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
Sorry about your accident.Hope you're feeling better!
Thank you. Still a bit stiff, but I am on the mend! Happy Christmas.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:53 PM

82 posts, read 342,619 times
I honestly think a man can make it pretty much anywhere in Minnesota if you are low maintainence and willing to work hard, which it sounds like you are. You could work at any number of resorts during the summer months, maybe even winter, and probably get free room and board, you could also do something like logging in the winter. If you can see yourself in the more remote areas, you could find an old fixer upper for not a lot of money and find some type of seasonal work.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:57 PM

941 posts, read 3,491,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Mn is overcrowded. You could check out another state.
How's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota