U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 32,646 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt worry about the traffic, I lived in LA are for 10 years and am now living south of Owatonna even on a "bad day" traffic is nothing like LA.

I would however, be more concerned about the weather, no other way to say it but winter here SUCKS!!!!!

Owatonna and Mankato are both growing communities with lots to offer.

Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 25,222 times
Default Southern Minnesota is great

I lived in Mankato for 22 years and just recently moved to Houston TX. We are moving back this summer. The only thing that my husband didn't like is there is less for entertainment in the smaller towns and we had to drive a ways to get to Minneapolis. There is not much traffic between Owatonna and Mankato. You will have to watch out and plan accordingly when it snows though. People will slow down a lot. The highways are only two lane (one in each direction). I went to MSU, Mankato. I really enjoyed it.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 PM

132 posts, read 559,145 times
My brother and I stayed in a motel in Owatonna two years ago when we were up there for our aunt's funeral. We were right off the highway and it was summer, but it was nice and quiet. I don't know how much it offers in jobs or otherwise but it was a pleasant place to stay IMO.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 23,180 times
I live in rochester which is about 45 minutes east of owatonna. We go to Mankato quite often. Waseca woud be my choice of town to live in in your situation. There is a new four lane highway that was just completed from Waseca to Mankato. It now only takes about 20 minutes to make that trip. And Mankato State is easy to get to from the east. It can't be more than 15 minutes back to Owatonna. Waseca is small and probably doesn't have a lot going on at night. Another option would be to look at living east of Owatonna and attending the University center in Rochester. The have extensions of Winona State and the University of Minnesota there.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 50,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhouse View Post
Hi I live in waseca and the drive from here to mankato takes about 30 min from waseca to owatonna is only about 20 min. I saw that you had asked about serving jobs and they are plentiful around her ( if you go to mankato you have your pick of resturants, I myself work in Owatonna at the Perkins Family resturant and I know they are always looking for servers there and the tips are pretty good depending on how much you are use to making, on an average you can make about 100 a day, if you need any more info on the restratants around this area and I can email you, if you are looking for a certain type of resturant.
Can you tell me a little bit more about Waseca? Spefically is the 30 minute drive something that's a reasonable commute in the winter, or would someone be better off staying in Mankato? Also, are there any rentals in Waseca? I need to find something for 6 months

Old 05-14-2007, 05:57 PM

28 posts, read 92,126 times
Default advice re: MN move

Quote:
Originally Posted by marebear63 View Post
Hello,

i currently live in Los Angeles,CA and may be moving to Owatonna MN in June for about 9 months. I'll be moving with my boyfriend whos doing a training program in Owatonna, but if i go with him i plan to go to the State University in Mankato, which is why i asked about both cities.

I have no idea what to expect. Since i'll be living in Owatonna, can anyone tell me what that city is like? Also what cities are between owatonna and mankato that would be a good place to live (to make the commute for me a tad less long)

Is the traffic bad around there? Also im curious to know if there are a lot of big restaurants around this area because i'll have to waitress to get by while im there.
Im not even going to ask about the weather!! The winters sound scary...ive never ever driven in snow.

Anywyas, any feedback would be great!!

Do not worry about traffic. I live in Seattle now, but am from southern MN. The issue for you is winter weather driving.....that and the inevitable major culture shock you will go through. Neither town is a "city" they are both quite tiny compared to LA....look on the internet for population info. You do not want a long commute in the winter. Personally, if it's only for 9 mos I'd stay in LA...your boyfriend then can live in Owatonna at some cheap apt and not have a commute. I'm not trying to sound negative, but by your email I don't think you have any idea what you're getting into :-) Why not just stay in LA and get a roommate for a few mos??

Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 PM

389 posts, read 1,599,073 times
I highly recommend the Owatonna area its a great place to work and live.
and mankato is a college town for sure you'll like the resturants their good selection.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 PM

81 posts, read 284,209 times
Traffic, rent, commuting and all that will be no problem. These cities are NOTHING like LA. Not that they are bad in any way, I actually really like Mankato and Owatonna but the culture will be real different. There's no beach and designer clothing stores so they might look at you a little weird if you're really interested in that stuff. People, especially the younger group doesn't really drink socially all that much, its more like binge drinking night after night. Mankato is definately a college town and thats what is going to dominate the nightlife. I wouldn't be scared of getting a job around there, they are both growing communities. Again, I like them both and I love out state MN, I grew up in the country on a farm N of a town of 1,800 so I understand it. Be prepared for the differences and embrace it and I'm sure you'll love either!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,137,882 times
Quote:
hows traffic going that way?
Traffic between O town and Waseca kinda sucks hwy 14 is only 2 lane there but changes into 4 lane in Waseca and don't let the 45 miles scare you! In California that can be a 3 hour drive. I can make the trip from Owatonna to Mankato in about 40 easy minutes......
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota