Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 PM

66 posts, read 828,997 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if Minnesota has seafood like catfish and shrimp and stuff like that? I'll be moving there soon and so I am wondering. I live in the southern Louisiana right now (right on the Gulf of Mexico), so we always have seafood anywheres you go. I'm trying to figure out how readily available and popular seafood is in Minnesota...crabs, fish, shrimp, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 06:43 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Catfish isn't exactly seafood, most (well, all) the seafood you get here is either frozen or has been frozen. It is readily available but it is expensive and sometimes not very fresh. I got used to eating the real thing on extended and regular visits to Mexico and got spoiled for the good stuff. My suggestion is to go to the larger grocery stores (I'm not sure what part of the state you're moving to) to get what you need. The larger stores have a greater variety and obviously, turn their product sooner. If you're moving to the Metro (Mpls. St.Paul) you shouldn't have a problem finding what you want. There is still the option of mail order if you really want the fresh stuff!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:47 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I used to live on the Gulf Coast and I do miss seafood here. There is some decent quality frozen and I believe if you have enough dollars, you can get fresh too. Not that it would be as good as picking it up off the boat. Yes, it's popular but not so available! The shrimp here just doesn't taste as good!

Don't miss your chance to try Walleye. It is really good. It's a flaky, soft, white fish. Lots of the time it's fried. My favorite is boil water and take it off the heat. Then put in the fish filet. I serve these with salt, pepper, and melted butter.

Too bad we don't have an ocean up here!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM

19 posts, read 133,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeb99 View Post
I'm wondering if Minnesota has seafood like catfish and shrimp and stuff like that? I'll be moving there soon and so I am wondering. I live in the southern Louisiana right now (right on the Gulf of Mexico), so we always have seafood anywheres you go. I'm trying to figure out how readily available and popular seafood is in Minnesota...crabs, fish, shrimp, etc?
Where in South LA are you moving from & what part of Minnesota are you heading to?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:36 AM

118 posts, read 388,935 times
You can get fresh seafood in Minnesota but it will cost you. Try Oceanaire or McCormick & Schmick's in downtown Minneapolis for fresh seafood on special occasions. Otherwise, get used to steak, the Midwest's version of seafood.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:51 AM

66 posts, read 828,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Paint View Post
Where in South LA are you moving from & what part of Minnesota are you heading to?
I am from New Iberia, LA....which is a small city right on the Gulf Coast. I'm trying to decide b/wn the Fargo/Moorhead area or Minneapolis/St. Paul. I'll be moving in May and was thinking about a delicious recipe for shrimp fettucine I have, and it got me wondering if I'll be able to find seafood there. Don't worry tho, I'll make sure to stock up with a lot to bring up there...lol

Old 03-06-2007, 08:51 AM

32 posts, read 94,126 times
I would think it would be easier to get seafood in Minnesota than in the Fargo area.

Lisa

Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 PM

5 posts, read 18,940 times
You want to get some good seafood around town. Check out Coastal Seafoods. But yes you'd have to pay for the great seafood you'd be getting. Check out their website.
http://www.coastalseafoods.com/

Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,074 times
Coastal Seafoods is great! We recently picked up some Marlin there.

Morey's is another great place to get seafood. But it is more expensive here than, say, MN fresh water fish.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:24 AM

10 posts, read 36,090 times
What about sushi? I know they exist in MN, but are they worth the cash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota