Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 PM

213 posts, read 1,085,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinky View Post
Regarding St. Cloud, today someone told me there's some issues there regarding racism. We may be doing an international adoption down the road and so if there are any such problems that could be a concern. Is there any truth to this?

I can assure you that you--and any children you might adopt from foreign countries--will have no problem in St Cloud. Such adoptions are very common here. Also, from my experience with St Cloud schools, I can say without doubt that children who have been adopted from foreign countries are accepted by both their peers and teachers. I also know of local support groups for parents of internationally adopted children--parents who choose to raise their children with their child's native culture in mind.

Unfortunately, the "truth" is that racism exists everywhere in the US. However, St Cloud has a large population that actively speaks out against racism and embraces cultural and ethnic diversity. Their voice may not make the news as often as the voice of the few "bad eggs," but make no mistake that the voice of acceptance (not just 'tolerance') is both strong and loud in St Cloud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 22,302 times
Hey Tinky,

I would say everything would depend on what kind of lifestyle that you want. If you are looking for the easiest commute, I would say pick the NW area of the cities, Maple Grove or even Wayzata area. I think if you are from New England you'd like Wayzata. Eden Prairie is also beautiful but it's further south.

A lot more people commute into the cities than out of the cities, so if you were driving from the Twin Cities to St. Cloud, you would be going against traffic. It would probably be the most pleasant. From Maple Grove to SCSU, which is more in the center of St. Cloud, it is about 50 miles and takes about 50 mins. My dad commutes from the St. Cloud area to N St. Paul and he says that worst part is getting to Maple Grove, and he leaves at 5:30 am.

This past winter we only had two snowfalls it seems like, but getting an AWD car would probably be the best and most economical if you are worried about winter driving.

As far as racism in St. Cloud, I think that is more aimed at immigrants moving here. I think it's minimal, but it certainly out there. If you were to adopt a baby, and he/she grew up here their whole life, I don't think there would be any issues.

Good luck with house hunting. I think you'll find you'll like MN!!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:46 AM

27 posts, read 123,754 times
Thanks again for all the info.

And mn_nice, you confirmed what I suspected about going against the flow of traffic being a much better commute. I think if we lived closer (or even in St. Cloud) my husband would have a pretty miserable drive into MSP.

Does anyone know much about Buffalo or Elk River? They seem like nice smaller towns kind of inbetween the two cities (although closer to MSP).

thanks!
Tinkya

Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,167,344 times
Buffalo is a great town, nice lake, etc. I haven't been to Elk River for several years but when I was there it was a pretty working class town, not much there BUT I am sure that has changed. The problem with living in these towns is you still run into the Maple Grove area traffic and then you might as well live in St. Cloud so only one of you has to commute. If he is working in an area where he woudn't have to drive 94-694 or Hwy 10 from the Buffalo area then it would be a great choice. The St. Michael/Albertville area would be another one to look into.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:11 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinky View Post
Thanks again for all the info.

And mn_nice, you confirmed what I suspected about going against the flow of traffic being a much better commute. I think if we lived closer (or even in St. Cloud) my husband would have a pretty miserable drive into MSP.

Does anyone know much about Buffalo or Elk River? They seem like nice smaller towns kind of inbetween the two cities (although closer to MSP).

thanks!
Tinkya
Elk River is very nice. Lots of decent housing and the schools are good. Being out of Hennepin County is a significant tax advantage. It's close enough to the Cities and yet much more rural. It's convenient to the freeway and the Mississippi River and the Elk River are both there. Lots of shopping and there is an outlet mall about 10 min north on 94. It has everything you could need and it's mostly a bedroom community to the cities.

I like Buffalo too but there is no direct freeway access. Buffalo is on 55, a good route into the Cities but lots of semaphores and traffic. The route to 94 is a 2 lane decent road that joins 94 in Monticello. That road is highly traveled. Buffalo is more of it's own town. Not just a bedroom community. It has a pretty lake in the middle. I believe it is Lake Pulaski.

Buffalo is the more rural of the 2 and Elk River is the easier commute. One other advantage of Elk River is you have an alternate way in to the cities. Hwy 10 on the east side of Elk River is sometimes a better option than 94. Just depends on where you want to go. 10 goes up to St Cloud as well.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 AM

27 posts, read 123,754 times
Thanks Golfgal and Yellowsnow.

I know some of this stuff (e.g., commute time) depends on where exactly my husband would be working. We're not sure yet, but he just got back from a schmoozing/networking trip in MSP and he's pulling for a job that is located in Excelsior. His other options at the moment are (1) MSP (just north of downtown on the east side of river, almost in St. Paul), (2) MSP (a couple miles northeast of Edina).

Does this help?

Thanks again! (And as a side note, now that this move is a done deal--I officially accepted the job this past Wednesday--I am TOTALLY psyched about moving to MN!)

Tinky

Old 03-25-2007, 12:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,959,936 times
Best of luck Tinky!

I think ER is probably a better choice because you are in the middle between 94 and 10. Between weather and construction, there have been many times I was glad to have choices. There are lots of properties on the market. I would be happy to sell you my house! Prices are good right now. Look in all the zip codes around ER, including Big Lake. Lots of bargains there and lots of the homes are within rock chunking distance of ER. You will have lots of reasonable choices.

Check out www.ziprealty.com. They let you keep a list of 100 properties you like and it's easy to watch the market. The only thing they don't do is let you search for waterfront. If that's important to you use Zip and Edina. When you look at homes, remember the weather. That long pretty driveway will be horrible in the winter! Same thing goes for sloping driveways! Out of the way rural places are great till you have to plow yourself out every time it snows. Regular subdivision type homes are usually fine.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,364 times
I'm going to mention the Albertville/St. Michael area as well. My husband and I are looking in that area and the price of newer homes is great! I seriously suggest looking there!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 AM

16 posts, read 84,318 times
I think Elk River is a fine choice, but I wouldn't rule out Monticello either. It is a nice city, decent size, and is right in between Minneapolis and St. Cloud (closer to St. Cloud, though). It doesn't have any shopping malls, but has nice houses, apartments, and plenty of things to do.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents out there. Good luck with the move!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,119 times
Don't move to saint cloud ... commute. St. Cloud is the most racist place I have ever lived, and the crime is unreal. St. Cloud is a very diverse city, but still has not adapted. I've been here for 4 years and cannot wait to leave! Please do yourself a favor, do not move here. If you don't believe what I say.... come visit for a week or two. In the last 6 months (I promise I would not joke about this), I have had 6 friends beat to a blood pulp. My friends are NOT ghetto by any means. One of my girl friends was walking with two of her guy friends and they were all beat up with bats. The sad thing was they people that did it, did it for fun and never took a thing. My girl friend was beat up so bad she had to get reconstructive surgery on her face. Its not safe here, but people never hear about what really happens here. They keep it hush hush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota