Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 01:00 AM

31 posts, read 104,202 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone: Here's the deal, we are a chef,and artist, with a 1 year old looking for a suburb of the twin cities to live in.

We'd like to rent for a year, and then buy somewhere. Our renting cost should be $800 or lower, and when we buy a house we'd like to be under $250,000.

What are the best suburbs or cool little cities and towns that are within reasonable driving distance to the twin cities? How are the jobs in our fields?
Is there a movement of organic foods and healthy living in these areas? Are there little nooks to check out?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 05:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
There are many great suburbs in the cities but until you have a job you really don't want to commit to someplace to live. You could find yourself with an hour+ commute if you do that.

I don't know about the job market for chefs these days and "artist" is a little vague-do you teach or just create?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
The restaurant industry is no different in Minnesota than it is everywhere else in the country, which is bad. Increased food costs, increased labor costs due to minimum wage increases and the surge in fuel prices drove the price up for deisel fuel which threw everything off. On the other side, consumer demand has gone way down and families are eating out way less due to the economic recession and that has taken a huge toll on the family dining sector of the restauarant industry. Of course there are tons of restaurants to go around in the Twin Cities but expect the going to be tough for any restaurant related jobs for the next year or so.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:09 AM

" "artist" is a little vague-do you teach or just create?"

Hi, I should have been more specific. I work as a technical illustrator for a large company creating graphics and illustrations. I also run my own online store selling hand painted baby gifts and I also sell paintings, jewelry and crafts. If MN is artsy, I can always find something. I would like to eventually buy a store front for my baby gifts in an artsy type of area.

thanks! We're in MN today checking out Mpls. Tomorrow we're checking out St. Paul and surrounding. Any advice is helpful!

Oh, and my husband is now working in a corporate gig, and he can do the same here, like, cooking for a big company, military base, or school.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
By far the artsiest places I've seen in the Twin Cities aren't in the suburbs but in Minneapolis proper, in the northeast and uptown areas of the city.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melina635 View Post
" "artist" is a little vague-do you teach or just create?"

Hi, I should have been more specific. I work as a technical illustrator for a large company creating graphics and illustrations. I also run my own online store selling hand painted baby gifts and I also sell paintings, jewelry and crafts. If MN is artsy, I can always find something. I would like to eventually buy a store front for my baby gifts in an artsy type of area.

thanks! We're in MN today checking out Mpls. Tomorrow we're checking out St. Paul and surrounding. Any advice is helpful!

Oh, and my husband is now working in a corporate gig, and he can do the same here, like, cooking for a big company, military base, or school.
Ok, that is much more helpful-there are several large employers that would use someone like you, whether they are hiring or not is a different story. The first one that comes to mind is Thompson/West-law book publishers, also try 3M. As for your online business, I would say that since the majority of the young families live in the suburbs you will find a great market there. You could get connected to some mom's groups, ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) would be a great resource for you personally with your child and for your business. There are also plenty of church groups and other networking opportunities around.

There are plenty of great places to open a storefront shop like you are thinking, Stillwater would be my first suggestion (especially if your DH or you can get a job at 3M). It would be a great location. It is a very touristy town with a lot of foot traffic-perfect for your type of shop. Stillwater has been a long time supporter of the health food movement. It is a very physically active population. Rent might be a bit more then you want but you will probably be able to find something close.

As for your DH, many larger companies outsource their corporate cafeteria's now, Sodexo (I think that is how it is spelled) is a big one. I know that 3M have a very large food service, I am guessing that Thompson/West does as well. Of course there are the numerous colleges and schools around the area--most of whom would have their information online for job openings.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 AM

812 posts, read 2,172,026 times
I recommend St Louis Park. It's close to Minneapolis and uptown. It's centrally located so you or your husband could commute north or south and it has easy access to downtown Minneapolis. Uptown is the arty area around here and if your goal is a storefront that would be a good place to start. Whole Foods and Trader Joes are both in St Louis Park, there's definately a move toward healthy eating in that area.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:37 AM

thanks everyone! We went to the mall yesterday, and it was much funner than I thought it would be! That aquarium is amazing! We're venturing into the cities today to explore.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,938 times
Default ham lake

what are good places to live..either in ham lake or anywhere near by? ty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota