Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Slig, why do you have to keep bashing small towns? I don't go around bashing Minneapolis. To each his own.

It just seems like so many Twin Cities snobs think anything in MN outside of the 494 loop doesn't matter. Minnesota is a huge, diverse state, and 95% of it doesn't involve Minneapolis or St. Paul.
Look closely at my posts. Not once in this thread did I make any comments about how Marshall is a crappy town or there is nothing to do there, etc. I simply made corrections to some of the misinformation you posted (which is a little ironic considering you were so concerned about people posting misinformation in one of your earlier posts) and discussed possible reasons for some of the information golfgal Meanwhile, you claim you don't go around bashing Minneapolis but you've specifically done just that (and the Twin Cities area in general) in your last couple of posts. What's up with that?

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 02-21-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Slig, why do you have to keep bashing small towns? I don't go around bashing Minneapolis. To each his own.

It just seems like so many Twin Cities snobs think anything in MN outside of the 494 loop doesn't matter. Minnesota is a huge, diverse state, and 95% of it doesn't involve Minneapolis or St. Paul.
Well, you're kind of the exact opposite. You do go around bashing big cities and act like small towns are the only thing that matter, well I shouldn't say you've said anything like small towns are the only thing that matters, though you have been bashing the cities and highly exaggerating some of the cons which aren't all that bad for a lot of people who live there. Just like driving to Sioux Falls or Mankato every once in a while isn't that bad for some people, while others could possibly dislike it a lot and find it really tedious.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Yeah, a couple people in here have already alluded to the fact that there are unique benefits to each scenario of either living in a large metropolitan area or living in a relatively isolated small town. It definitely comes down to personal preferences as most people seem to have a strong preference with one over the other. I admittedly would probably never be able to tolerate small town living, but that is my own personal preference. I try my best to accept the preference of those who prefer the more slow-paced quieter style of small-town life and the other benefits associated with that style of living. It just isn't something I'd ever willingly engage in for anything other than a very short-term basis. If you love small-town living and feel that Marshall does a good job of providing that experience, more power to you. I'm glad you're happy living there instead of miserable and living in the Twin Cities. If I had it my way everybody would be allowed to live where they want to live.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 02-21-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 AM

210 posts, read 285,626 times
As a person that has lived in Marshall for 3 decades, I'd like to add my 2c worth. As soon as I retire, I'm outta here. The town itself isn't that bad, but trying to find specialized products is almost impossible. I couldn't even find a plastic coated 8 or 10 lb. anchor in Marshall without going to Walmart. I ordered one online. When I needed trout spinners last year I had to wait until I got to Park Rapids to find them. There isn't a decent sporting good store in town. This is one reason many people go to Sioux Falls shopping. My wife has the same problem with clothes and Christmas gifts.

I enjoy photographing nature. SW MN has corn and bean fields for scenery and other than deer, a person can put on 100's of miles without seeing another critter. If you enjoy fishing, you better have a pretty large boat because we have gale force winds most days around here. Then again, the prairie potholes that we call lakes around here are looking pretty nasty by mid or late June, with the algae bloom taking over. This happens when you have farm runoff and the lakes are only about 8 feet deep, which causes them to heat up pretty fast.

I think Marshall does have pretty good employment opportunites with Schwans, the college and the corn plant. However, I do think the main recreation in this town is drinking. Pretty sad. I'd prefer living in a town the size of Mankato. That is a pretty town with nice parks. Mankato also has stores where you can find what you need without living in an asphalt jungle like the twin cities. I wouldn't mind retiring along the north shore, but the skeeters are as big as dragonflies and the ticks will carry you away. The cold wouldn't be so bad because they don't have to deal with the nasty wind chills we experience in SW MN. I'm thinking the SE part of the state may be the closest to ideal with the numerous trout streams, awesome bluffs and much less wind.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
People with 1 post reviving old threads, lol.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 PM

210 posts, read 285,626 times
Hey, a person's gotta start somewhere. Besides, the thread wasn't even 2 months old - barely cool.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Ya, you're right I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota