Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM

22 posts, read 55,679 times

Advertisements

Interested in hearing comments about Minnesota's tax burden - I saw a chart listing it as the 12th highest - especially if you moved there from a state with a lower burden, and/or if you are retired since I also read MN is one of the states that tax retirement income. Do you feel that you get something back in terms of good roads, good schools, good recreation, public transport, public services, etc. In essence, do you feel that you get your money's worth? I'm especially interested in the Duluth area. Thanks.

Last edited by tazzman; 03-02-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
We don't get all of our Fed. tax dollars back but I still find we get out what we put in. I see it most in the quality of education, recreation, and public safety.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I most defiantly see a return on our taxes especially living in a low tax state for a while. Basic services, schools, roads and whatnot are of a much higher quality in our state compared to the lower taxed states I have visited and lived in. While no one really likes to pay taxes I would rather have the quality we have in MN and pay higher taxes then live in a lower tax state and struggle with everything.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM

69 posts, read 198,197 times
Duluth is a wonderful place, with somewhat high taxes. The roads are in maybe the worst shape of any city in america. The shool district is bankrupt (or close to it) and the crime is a bit higher then it should be. But if you live in Hermantown, you get a much healthier lifestyle, with a quality school district, and it is very close to duluth.(the taxes are higher there though) Of course, Duluth has as many great neighborhoods too,where your kids will have a great education, but it also has some bad ones. As with any old city with a large housing supply, many have sadly been given to section 8. But on the bright side, you can easily ignore the ugly because of Duluth's unique beauty that most cities only dream of having. It is sort of a mini Portland, or mini seattle. With a very New England feel to it. You can move to the east end and own a early 1900s mansion for half of what it would be worth in some markets. As with any liberal city, it is full of culture, art, and college kids. But it is also a target for the needy, who move there for the handouts. If you have exercise higher on your list of needs in an area, Duluth will blow your mind. Hundreds of miles of woodland trails within the city. Both biking and hiking. You can surf, ski, bike, kayak, flyfish, big sea fish, camp, or whatever most mountain communities have to offer. And Gov. Pawlenty has made the area ,along with others, a tax free zone for start up businesses. In order to compete with the Dakotas and other conservative states that are near by. All in all, the higher taxes are worth it, considering the high quality of life offered in that area. It has an amazing bus system too. And a lot of public parks. Not to mention the Canal and park point areas. Both very unique tourist areas......Good luck...

Last edited by skipast75; 03-03-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: forgot something....

Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,745 times
I think too many people in Minnesota(and elswhere)think that other people ought to subsidize their "quality of life". As a single person with no kids who owns property and drives a vehicle, not to mention has three jobs, don't think I get much at all for what I'm FORCED to pay for in this state! I'm not anti-education, but I think that singles, home/private school parents and retirees should not have to pay for it especially when much of what public schools are "teaching" these days goes against many peoples values. I dont think that as a suburbanite that I should have to pay for mass transit boondoggles that only benefit a few in the inner city, while the highways are crumbling and are only 2 lanes wide in some parts of the metro causing backed up traffic. I don't think that certain businesses should get the "JOBZ" treatment, while others have to pay-why not lower the burden across the board? I am not anti government, I am not an anarchist, I think that governments job is to protect us from force and fraud and not to rob Peter to pay Paul! I would love to get the heck out of here and go to a lower taxed state , but I could never sell my condo, not in this market. I know I get some hateful responses for this post but I believe freedom loving people ought to have a voice on City Data, were not allowed in the Pioneer Press, The Star Tribune or the Duluth News Tribune!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
After living in the south for some years, I have decided that the "high" taxes in MN are well worth it to me.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 PM

22 posts, read 55,679 times
Thanks for the responses, keep 'em coming. Looks like four out of five so far feel they're getting a fair shake on taxes, or mostly so.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
A good book came out about this topic in the 1970s.
You generally have two categories:
High tax and high service states.
Low tax and low service states.
Generally, a state falls into one of the two categories with some falling in the middle ground.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:28 AM

143 posts, read 327,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
A good book came out about this topic in the 1970s.
You generally have two categories:
High tax and high service states.
Low tax and low service states.
Generally, a state falls into one of the two categories with some falling in the middle ground.
I think that by looking at the shifting trends in population, it is easy to see which type most people prefer.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButler7000 View Post
I think that by looking at the shifting trends in population, it is easy to see which type most people prefer.
I don't know that there is a clear delineation of which is prefered here, based on high service/low service states. What would be some examples?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota