Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 20,683 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks..

I'm going to relocate to Granite Falls, MN because of my job.
Need your expert guidance/advice to choose a city/town to live in.
I did some research and found Marshall & Willmar are bigger towns near by but unable to choose between them.
Im married, no children yet. My wife likes to pursue her college undergraduation.
Also need help to know about good neighborhoods in these areas.

Appreciate your help!!
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Marshall would be a better choice if you are looking at doing a 4 year undergrad program with Southwest MN State in town. It is a little closer to Granite Falls then Willmar which will make a difference in the winter. I have lived in both Willmar and Marshall and they both have a lot to offer. I am going to guess you are working in Granite? If so, keep in mind winter travel between Granite and anywhere can be a major issue for work.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks!! golfgal for your quick reply. Yes, im going to work in granite falls. I think granite is too small of a community for me to stay...so i've to trade off my commute to work with a bigger community.
Do you recommend any good apartments/homes to rent in Marshall

Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhldude2005 View Post
Thanks!! golfgal for your quick reply. Yes, im going to work in granite falls. I think granite is too small of a community for me to stay...so i've to trade off my commute to work with a bigger community.
Do you recommend any good apartments/homes to rent in Marshall
There are several apartment complexes and houses for rent in Marshall. I don't know what you are looking to spend but I would look in the Marshall paper on Wednesday's and Saturday's-when most of the real estate ads are posted. You can try online but their online ads don't have everything that is in the paper. MarshallIndependent.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Info. - Marshall Independent . I would recommend not renting anything in an apartment complex out near the college unless you want to live with a bunch of college kids and their parties.

Carr Properties lists ads all the time-they are on there now. The ones they list close to Schwan's are the "Downtowner'". They are nice sized 2 bedroom apartments for $500/month or so. There are some listed in the Birch Court area--don't go there. There is one listed in a 3-plex somewhere that sounds ok. If you find some and want to run an address by me, feel free. You can send me a direct message by clicking on my user name.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks a bunch!!! That paper has lot of rental ads...
I want to live in a place which is safe, quiet and a nice view wouldn't hurt..
I'll go through all the ads and 'll seek your help if needed.
Thanks again for your help!! Appreciate it!!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch!!! That paper has lot of rental ads...
I want to live in a place which is safe, quiet and a nice view wouldn't hurt..
I'll go through all the ads and 'll seek your help if needed.
Thanks again for your help!! Appreciate it!!
Safe isn't going to be an issue, quite might, you won't find anything with a "view" though, sorry about that

Old 04-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Hello golfgal,

Last weekend I was in marshall, granite falls, willmar hoping to get a feel of the communities and towns...
Of all three, willmar seemed to be bigger town with more shopping and dining options...
Marshall was also nice, but it is farther away from twin cities.

I'm of Asian origin...noticed in some earlier posts that there are racial tensions in willmar....Is it still an issue up there?

Appreciate your advice!!
Thanks!!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Hello golfgal,

Last weekend I was in marshall, granite falls, willmar hoping to get a feel of the communities and towns...
Of all three, willmar seemed to be bigger town with more shopping and dining options...
Marshall was also nice, but it is farther away from twin cities.

I'm of Asian origin...noticed in some earlier posts that there are racial tensions in willmar....Is it still an issue up there?

Appreciate your advice!!
Thanks!!
Probably. Most of the tension was with the Hispanic population. Willmar is a strange town in that the population is fairly educated yet pretty bigoted at the same time. It is very odd. Hopefully it has gotten better but there are still problems.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the info...
I'm leaning towards Marshall now.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
Golfgal's right in that most of the bigotry was targeted at the Hispanic population- I would hope that things have gotten better by now, there are several Mexican restaurants and grocers in the town, and the town's Hispanic/ Latino population grew pretty significantly. In addition to this, there have been a number of Somali transplants to Willmar to work at Jenny-O.

I have family that lives in Clara City, MN, a very small town on 23 right in between (probably equidistant) Willmar and Granite Falls. I have noticed that there are several Asian families in town (or mixed white/ Asian) and they all seem to be well respected members of the community. For a small town in West Central MN, I was actually a little surprised by the amount of diversity there (still very small numbers for sure, but I was somewhat surprised nonetheless). I guess what I am getting at is that you will likely run into closed-mindedness and bigotry no matter which town you choose out there, it may not be directed at you by any means, but you will hear people say things on ocassion for sure. I have a friend whose children are mixed-race (black and white) living in Marshall and the kids haven't adapted too well after moving from St. Paul. Like golfgal said, people are fairly educated in this area, but there are still a number of people who aren't and haven't left their local environs to see what else the world has to offer. In some ways, I find persons that are ignorant solely out of not having experienced diversity less harmful than those that have lived in very diverse environments- the people that haven't had the exposure in some ways are more "teachable" so to speak, and potentially more open-minded for change if that makes any sense at all. Of course when you throw in closed-minded Rush Limbaugh conservatism regarding undocumented immigrants, etc., it's a whole new ballgame as can likely be somewhat seen around Willmar.

However, if I were in your position, I would probably choose Willmar. Not because of the demographics, but I think there is a lot more natural beauty in that area- tons of lakes (including a number in Willmar), public beaches, and parks within a short drive- the New London/ Spicer area is definitely a regional playground because of the beautiful lakes and trees. Marshall has always seemed very plain, nondescript, flat, and boring to me, and for this reason I think I would have a hard time living there. Having spent some time in Clara City- I tended to always drive towards Willmar vs. Montevideo (which is another town you may want to check out possibly), Marshall, etc. when needing to buy something not offered in town or just wanting to get away. Good luck-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota