Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,790 times

Advertisements

A ha! Always leave it to Golfgal to point out the obvious (which I sometimes miss!)

Issues such as needing new paint, needing some updating - these are all a matter of condition (see my previous post). And condition works like this:

Let's say you have 2 $100 bills. One is crisp and new, the other is dirty, torn, and smells of poo. You are offered one, and you can only have one. Which one do you choose? They are both worth the same, just the condition is different. Make sense?

I really hammer condition in situations when many identical houses are for sale in the same area for the same price. In those cases, it is typically worth it to spend $1000-$1500 on a professional stager to make the home look like a model. I figure that a price reduction will cost at least $5000 - staging the home makes sense.

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 06:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
Where is all of this coming from? No - the market isn't that bad. Sure, it's slow - but not really even that slow.

Winter is usually a slow time for us Realtors - and this past January I was working my tail off - busy busy busy!

Of course, sellers need to be reasonable with the price they ask for their home - but they should never give it away. A home has been, and always will be, a good investment. The growing population needs a place to live, and those are just the facts.

And if your home isn't selling (I tell this to clients all the time), its for one of three reasons:
A) Marketing
B) Condition
C) Price

I always try to fix problems associated with a long-listed property with new marketing strategies and updates to the condition of the home before I ever recommending touching the price. A price reduction is, in some cases, money out of the pocket of my client - and I wouldn't be doing a very good job if I was costing them money. That's how I see a price reduction, anyhow...

Price it once, market it once, sell it once - and get on with life.

Robert
You are an eternal optimist. I think you probably do well in real estate. And that's meant to be a compliment! No snark implied or stated!

But we aren't all so lucky! So far 2(TWO) people have come to see my house. And it's usable water front, 3200 sf, brick and stone, and totally updated, granite kitchen, all new mechanicals. New carpet and paint too. Has real architectural detailing like pocket doors and coved ceilings. New HW floors, inlaid Brazilian Cherry. Not laminate! French doors, heated shop. 1 acre property. In a neighborhood of more expensive homes. I have neighbors with elevators! Anyway, I'm sorry now that I spent over 100K improving the property! I've already lowered the price 40K.

If you have to show your house 30 times to sell it, I will be here waiting for another decade. How long can I wait? Days like today, it's tempting to mortgage it to the hilt and walk away! I don't think I would ever do it, but I think about it! Sorry, I guess I'm just whining.

I'll just put it back on the market and keep on waiting. Cleaning and waiting! I guess people like the clonehome neighborhoods better.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 PM

132 posts, read 576,642 times
I'd guess that some parts within the same metro area do better than others...didn't Lakeville place near the top of some "best places to live" list in forbes magazine or something similar? It's had some good publicity.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You are an eternal optimist. I think you probably do well in real estate. And that's meant to be a compliment! No snark implied or stated!

But we aren't all so lucky! So far 2(TWO) people have come to see my house. And it's usable water front, 3200 sf, brick and stone, and totally updated, granite kitchen, all new mechanicals. New carpet and paint too. Has real architectural detailing like pocket doors and coved ceilings. New HW floors, inlaid Brazilian Cherry. Not laminate! French doors, heated shop. 1 acre property. In a neighborhood of more expensive homes. I have neighbors with elevators! Anyway, I'm sorry now that I spent over 100K improving the property! I've already lowered the price 40K.

If you have to show your house 30 times to sell it, I will be here waiting for another decade. How long can I wait? Days like today, it's tempting to mortgage it to the hilt and walk away! I don't think I would ever do it, but I think about it! Sorry, I guess I'm just whining.

I'll just put it back on the market and keep on waiting. Cleaning and waiting! I guess people like the clonehome neighborhoods better.
Your house sounds beautiful and given the choice I would pick an older home with character over the house we have, however, it is more important to us to live in a good, safe neighborhood in a town with great schools and opportunities for our kids. Your location probably has much more to do with the sale of your home then the condition of your home. Move your home to my town and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,790 times
Your home sounds very beautiful. Where abouts is it located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Old 02-10-2007, 05:22 PM

131 posts, read 616,284 times
"it is typically worth it to spend $1000-$1500 on a professional stager to make the home look like a model."

Ah, but sometimes it's obvious it's "eye wash".

Old 02-12-2007, 04:28 PM

85 posts, read 566,891 times
Default house sold in forty six days

I lowered the price 6 percent on the forty fifth day as there was 20 other houses that were close to the same as my home all within few miles and it sold the next day. Like I have always said about selling a house, the priec must be right and the right person looking for the type of house you are selling must come along and like what they are looking at before they will buy a house.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:07 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P Stewart View Post
Your home sounds very beautiful. Where abouts is it located?
Big Lake Township. It's on the Mississippi River. It's right across the river from the Monticello Hospital.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:07 PM

132 posts, read 576,642 times
Default cnn story on some of the causes

CNN article today. They chose to place it at the top of the front page.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/15/real...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: