Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times

Advertisements

Hello my dad is a LPN and we were considering moving here. He makes 32k as a LPN at the Veteran's Affairs. We live in Virginia and are looking to move the family. So in short do you think we could make it here and have a good time on 32k? Is Minnesota a good move if he is a LPN? I know nothing of the health field. Do they have a "medical city" like how North Carolina has the Triangle and Maryland has John Hopkins. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Do they have a "medical city" like how North Carolina has the Triangle and Maryland has John Hopkins. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Rochester, MN - home of the Mayo Clinic, probably one of the biggest "medical cities" (per capita at least) in the country- huge campus that draws people from all over the world seeking specialized healthcare (and employs somewheres around 30% of the city's adults?), and one of the best employers in the nation.

Although I can't say for certain, I would think that $32K/ year would be pretty low for the average LPN in the Twin Cities or Rochester....that amount would likely be OK for 2 people living in a small town/ rurual area in Minnesota, but it wouldn't be the easy for a family of 2 to support themselves in the cities on $32K/yr (depending on what your monthly expenses are- if your dad has little to no debt and you both live modestly, you'd be fine but there wouldn't be much room for "having fun" or putting away savings). Check out position openings at Mayo Clinic and what the pay rate is there- it should still be the highest paying hospital in the state, and Rochester would have a slightly lower cost of living than the Twin Cities. The main VA hospital around these parts is in Minneapolis FYI. Good luck-

Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Thank you!! There is actually my parents, myself and 2 younger brothers

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times
I agree with Camden.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,832,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Thank you!! There is actually my parents, myself and 2 younger brothers
No problem, I'm confused though- I would assume that the cost of living in VA is pretty high no matter where you're at...would your family's income be significantly decreasing if you move to Minnesota? (or is the concern about whether one of your parents could find work here?). And to give some perspective- $32K to support a family of 5 would put you at just $6K/year above the federal poverty level (a nationwide measure, and cost of living in the Twin Cities would be at or above this average, however I still would think cost of living here would be lower than anywhere in VA). This can be the toughest income range as it would put your family out of reach for getting most "help" through any type of govt assistance (although you still would likely qualify for "affordable" housing programs, energy assistance, etc.).

However, although it would pay less than in the cities or Rochester, were your dad to find a position in a small town nursing home somewhere in MN or surrounding state, it maybe could work as rents are very cheap in small towns. Actually, the best bet would likely be to live in one of the small towns close by Rochester for the cheaper rent, and have your dad could commute to Mayo Clinic if able to get a job there. Downside of small town life is that if your mom is planning on working at some point, there would be a lot more limited options available.

Last edited by Camden Northsider; 04-15-2009 at 12:41 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 AM

Yeah I just saw that according to CNN

I also found a job for roughly the same salary in St. Cloud but he does expect a raise before our lease is up here.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
It would be very difficult to live on $35K/year for a family of 5 in the Twin Cities Metro area. It would be close to impossible in fact since an apartment alone is going to run $1200 minimum-you will have to get a 3 bedroom because of occupancy laws.

If he could find a job in a rural part of the state, $32K would be possible, not great but possible. The hardest part right now are the wage freezes and hiring freezes many hospitals and clinics have going right now.

If he could get his RN degree, he would double his current salary if he moved to MN and then it would be possible to live in the metro if you lived very conservatively.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 AM

lol my dad pays $1550 to rent the 1450 sqft townhouse/condo were in now. Only reason they are paying it is because we HAD to move from our last location, there was a murer suicide less than 3 feet from our house.. while we were inside ours.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
However, although it would pay less than in the cities or Rochester, were your dad to find a position in a small town nursing home somewhere in MN or surrounding state, it maybe could work as rents are very cheap in small towns. Actually, the best bet would likely be to live in one of the small towns close by Rochester for the cheaper rent, and have your dad could commute to Mayo Clinic if able to get a job there. Downside of small town life is that if your mom is planning on working at some point, there would be a lot more limited options available.
There are shuttles for Mayo from a lot of the smaller towns around too. Non-Mayo employees can take the shuttle for a fee too. I'm pretty sure they go to Iowa or very near the border as well as they go to Winona which is on the border with Wisconsin. It is possible to find a 3-bedroom for under $1000 here too. Doesn't mean it'd be the fanciest but it'd still be affordable.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
There are PLENTY of rural LPN jobs in Minnesota, and the cost of living is much less than would be near the cities. I'd consider all options first. No shortage of LPN work, no problem out here in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota