Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,763 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our will be 2 year old daughter are moving to the Twin Cities area sometime next spring to start our career/internship. We want to find a nice safe family friendly neighborhood near or in a good school district. We will be renting or lease to own for a few years while working on paying off student loands. My husband is from the northern part of the cities and really like that area. Any suggestions for us?
-Adam and Chelsea-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 AM

5 posts, read 43,810 times
What area of the northern part is he from? Just to make sure, becaue I would like to know what part of minnesota you want to be living in!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 AM

64 posts, read 223,220 times
do you plan on moving to Mpls / saint paul proper or a suburb? its very hard to pin one city or even neighborhood.

I would do some looking here //www.city-data.com/city/Minnesota.html

I currently live in Roseville and love it here. I uset to live in the Mcalester/ groveland neighborhood in ST paul and really liked that as well. it had a small town feel to it.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,763 times
He is from Forest Lake. We would like to move to a northern suburb if possible.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Where will you be working. You will want to decide where to live based on that. You don't want to end up with an hour+ commute each way.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I agree with golfgal. You already have it narrowed down to a general part of the metro area (northern suburbs) where you'd like to live if possible; realistically your job - and your budget - are going to narrow it down even more. Concentrate your job search in that area, and ideally at least one of you will have a job before you move. (it could be hard to find a place to live if not, anyway)

The Twin Cities are different from some areas of the country in that most school districts are pretty good. I've lived in other places where almost no one sent their kids to the public schools - it's not like that in the Twin Cities (there are, of course, private options, but there's not the pressure that you "have" to go the private route). You shouldn't have any trouble finding a family-friendly neighborhood with decent schools, so if you have the chance definitely find the job first and then the home. I think you're smart to rent first, too; that will give you a better chance to learn the area yourself (and for your husband to learn the area as a father - I think being a parent often gives you a different perspective on things) Since your daughter will still be young you won't have to worry about pulling her out of one school district and into another if you end up buying a house in two or three years that's in the next-over suburb from wherever you end up now.

If you want more specific targeted suggestions as to where to start investigating now, then it would be helpful if you could provide some additional information. What kind of housing do you want? Older home? Newer place? Is walkability important? How about diversity? Specific types of businesses/parks/etc. that would be of interest?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
I would move right back to Forest Lake. Even though it's on the edge of the twin cities, this town doesn't "feel" like a big city subburb such as a Brooklyn Park, Eden Prairie, or Woodbury. To me it seems like a town from outside the metro area.

I used to have a customer there, and went there a couple times a year. Very nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota