Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:22 PM

43 posts, read 89,015 times

Advertisements

I am living in Indiana, 20 miles north of Indianapolis. I really think I want to move to MN. What't it like? I want to know everything. Here we rake our leaves to the curb & the city picks them up along with any tree limbs. They clean the streets once every 2 weeks. The city stays on top of plowing the streets during our snow falls.We have nice safe community.There alot of Victorian homes,and duplexes for rentals etc.I am retired.It't just me and my dog and I want to rent from a landlord who mows his lawn,shovels his side walks,respects his property and rents to people who do the same. Is there really 10,000 lakes or are they ponds? Do you shovel your roofs?I hear you speak like they did in the movie Fargo.What about outsiders. Tell me everything.lol

Last edited by indylindy; 05-07-2009 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 05:30 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
Nope, not 10,000 lakes, just their way of saying there's a lot. We don't shovel our roof, we rake it We live in an older house so we pull the snow to prevent ice dams from building up. I think that's not necessary with newer homes but I'm not sure. Different cities do things differently, some take yard waste, I imagine with others you have to pay extra.

A lot of non natives, including myself, say Minnesotans are surface nice but hard to get to know. It's not impossible but it's something you have to work at. You may hit the right area find people easy to meet but you may want to join a club based on an interest.

The most Fargo like speak I've heard came from three guys in Wisconsin although I'm told I did pick up an accent.!

Why do you want to move to Minnesota?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:31 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,618 times
Well, that's alot of questions. It all depends on where you live. I can only speak for where I live. I live in mid north area of MN. You will find nice and safe communities all over. As far as the leaves part, sorry I haven't heard of such thing. They are real good about clearing roads. I have noticed there are more houses of blight here than from ND where i moved from. There are that many lakes. Some big some not so. The county I live in (Itasca) has 1000 by itself. To me, this is heaven on earth. I don't mind the cold, as long as there is no wind. This area is so gorgeous. The trees and lakes are so spectacular. Lots of things to do if you like the outdoors. Come for a visit.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:34 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indylindy View Post
I am living in Indiana, 20 miles north of Indianapolis. I really think I want to move to MN. What't it like? I want to know everything. Here we rake our leaves to the curb & the city picks them up along with any tree limbs. They clean the streets once every 2 weeks. The city stays on top of plowing the streets during our snow falls.We have nice safe community.There alot of Victorian homes,and duplexes for rentals etc.I am retired.It't just me and my dog and I want to rent from a landlord who mows his lawn,shovels his side walks,respects his property and rents to people who do the same. Is there really 10,000 lakes or are they ponds? Do you shovel your roofs?I hear you speak like they did in the movie Fargo.What about outsiders. Tell me everything.lol
There are 11,842 lakes in Minnesota. Certain areas of the state sound like they should be in the movie Fargo. Native Minnesotans all have "the accent" to some degree. The cost of living will be higher than in Indiana.

There are so many nice communities in MN. Do you want to be in a city or out in the sticks?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 AM

114 posts, read 535,373 times
"Minnesota, here I come", I highly recommend that you read on this forum, and others, to get an idea of what areas are like. You'll learn a lot.

I grew up in Minnesota, moved away after college, and will be retiring in Minnesota. It's a lovely state, with a lot to do. Read on this forum and you'll have a better idea of where you'd like to live.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
There are 11,842 lakes in Minnesota.
Yes, I've seen that number in several places. Most are natural lakes, but not all.

A body of water has to be at least 10 acres in size in order to be counted as a lake.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM

For everyone who responded to " MN. Here I Come",Thank You! I'm still trying to figure this out. I keep getting different screens when I want to respond. There has to be an easy way. Help

Old 05-09-2009, 11:28 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Lakes? - yes, well over 10,000
accent? - no, and kinda. There is a Scandanavian derrived dialect amongst those living in less cosmopolitan areas.. Similar to an Indianan accent would be from northern Indiana to Southern Indiana. Most accents are up north
cleanliness? - very.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM

I really think the Northern area would be for me. I think the accents alone would make me smile.That's were the ships come in.I would like to give ago at ice fishing too. But it's cold,really really cold.

Last edited by indylindy; 05-09-2009 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Lakes? - yes, well over 10,000
accent? - no, and kinda. There is a Scandanavian derrived dialect amongst those living in less cosmopolitan areas.. Similar to an Indianan accent would be from northern Indiana to Southern Indiana. Most accents are up north
cleanliness? - very.
You my friend are in "accent denial"

All native Minnesotans have the accent in various degrees. But we all have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota