Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:46 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,150,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
In the next year/ two, Pawlenty is going to be credited with doing to Minnesota what George W. Bush did for the country. I'm not sure what his current popularity rating is at, but plan on it going way down.

Bush is credited with running up the deficit after spending our tax surplus. Bush was a no-tax and spend like mad kind of guy which is the worst possible combination. TimPaw is no Bush as Bush was an absolute disaster. Thankfully TimPaw will run for Prez. If he wasn't running, he would have increased our taxes and caved. Right now, he is pretending to be fiscally conservative. But I'll take that.

Personally, I liked Bill Clinton a whole lot better than Bush. He actually was paying off the deficit. Many top earners won't mind paying more in taxes if they pay off the debt and reform welfare, make deadbeat dads be responsible etc. People may complain about Clinton's personal life but I think history will remember him as a great President. The person who wants to spend trillions more than he takes in is Obama. We will see where his popularity is in a couple of years. He will blame it all on Bush when he fails miserably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,917,054 times
Since this is Minnesota and anything goes, my guess is Richard Simmons.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:53 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Exactly, now you can elect a Dem who will increase spending and taxes.
I never understood how paying more taxes, if you make a good amount of money, is a bad thing.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I never understood how paying more taxes, if you make a good amount of money, is a bad thing.

We already have that in place. Income taxes are based on a percentage of one's wages,thus the more you earn the more you pay.

The problem is that some who pay very little,want others to pay even more.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
We already have that in place. Income taxes are based on a percentage of one's wages,thus the more you earn the more you pay.
Although it's relatively easy for those at the very top to avoid doing so through various legal means. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but it isn't quite as cut and dried as you state.

Quote:
The problem is that some who pay very little,want others to pay even more.
I don't pay very little, but I'm also not sympathetic to those who make more than a half-million a year. I wish I could afford to have their tax concerns...

Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,828,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Although it's relatively easy for those at the very top to avoid doing so through various legal means. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but it isn't quite as cut and dried as you state.

I don't pay very little, but I'm also not sympathetic to those who make more than a half-million a year. I wish I could afford to have their tax concerns...
No kidding! Well said....

Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

I have to agree that those making more money probably pay less of a percentage of their income in taxes then those making an average income because of various tax shelters available to them (well to anyone but they have the means to take advantage of those more often). The only way to really eliminate this is to have a flat tax with no deductions.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:02 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,150,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have to agree that those making more money probably pay less of a percentage of their income in taxes then those making an average income because of various tax shelters available to them (well to anyone but they have the means to take advantage of those more often). The only way to really eliminate this is to have a flat tax with no deductions.

I hear this argument all the time; the "rich" top 1% or > $350K per year have these supposed loop holes. Please educate me as to what these loop holes are again??? I'm all ears. I must have a stupid accountant. Sure, there are ways to smooth out paying your taxes (taking a loss one year versus another year) but in the end, you always have to pay accordingly.

Mysteriously, I have found the exact opposite (loop holes when I have a strong income year). As an example, when I have had strong income year, I lose deductions left-and -right such as mortgage deduction, a portion of child deduction, alternative minimum tax etc. Now this isn't folklore, this comes from personal experience.

So please do share what loop holes you are speaking of. I'd like to educate my accountant.

I do agree a flat tax would be the smart approach but that ain't happening! Our politicians like to "reward" their constituency. In reality, they only want to get re-elected to line their own pockets but I am suspicious of all politicians.

As to why people complain (make a lot and pay a lot)... That should be pretty obvious. No one would complain if there was a flat tax. But. Those "loop holes" work both ways. If you make $40K as an average American family and take your child deductions, mortgage deduction, personal deduction, charity, etc etc etc, you won't pay a nickel in taxes if you work at it. So that is how the lower 1/2 pay a measly 10% of the entire budget. How is that fair???

Old 07-05-2009, 05:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I hear this argument all the time; the "rich" top 1% or > $350K per year have these supposed loop holes. Please educate me as to what these loop holes are again??? I'm all ears. I must have a stupid accountant. Sure, there are ways to smooth out paying your taxes (taking a loss one year versus another year) but in the end, you always have to pay accordingly.

Mysteriously, I have found the exact opposite (loop holes when I have a strong income year). As an example, when I have had strong income year, I lose deductions left-and -right such as mortgage deduction, a portion of child deduction, alternative minimum tax etc. Now this isn't folklore, this comes from personal experience.

So please do share what loop holes you are speaking of. I'd like to educate my accountant.

I do agree a flat tax would be the smart approach but that ain't happening! Our politicians like to "reward" their constituency. In reality, they only want to get re-elected to line their own pockets but I am suspicious of all politicians.

As to why people complain (make a lot and pay a lot)... That should be pretty obvious. No one would complain if there was a flat tax. But. Those "loop holes" work both ways. If you make $40K as an average American family and take your child deductions, mortgage deduction, personal deduction, charity, etc etc etc, you won't pay a nickel in taxes if you work at it. So that is how the lower 1/2 pay a measly 10% of the entire budget. How is that fair???
A lot of the loop holes are there for business owners. If you are a W-2 employee you don't have the benefits. There are plenty of deductions, tax shelters, etc. that you can take advantage of if you have the means. Do you own rental property? What is your charitable giving like? If you are a business owner you can deduct all kinds of things like health insurance costs, employee benefit costs, office expenses, etc. Warren Buffet had a good article on several months ago, maybe around election time, that outlined how he paid less proportionally in taxes then most of the people that worked for him.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:30 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,011 times
As a conservative/libertarian, the GOP no longer appeals to me. The Dems may be pushing us off a cliff at 80 miles per hour, but the GOP were pushing us off a cliff at 70 miles per hour-either way, we crash. There are only a handful of true constitutionalists in either party on the state and national levels, so I have to throw in a Libertarian and Constitution Party candidate when I vote. The Reform Party is no different, Jesse gave us light rail and was a radical "environmentalist", he didn't govern like the libertarian he campaigned to be. As far as taxes, people should pay for the government they use and not pit class against class. It is no ones business how I'm educated, how much health insurance I buy,what kind of home or business I can have, and it is no ones business what I eat, smoke or drink, as long as my behavior is not harming anyone else(yes, I said HARM and not OFFEND). The government is there to protect life and to protect the individual from force and fraud, not to redistribute wealth and property!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota