Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Anywhere but SW MN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Sorry. It's not a people thing...I just don't care for the scenery

Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Nisswa

Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Sorry. It's not a people thing...I just don't care for the scenery
I know what you mean. There are some hidden gems here in the SW though. I don't think I could stand northern Minn. I think this part of the state is as cold weather wise as I can tolerate. I should go up there in the summer though, maybe that would change my tune.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I know what you mean. There are some hidden gems here in the SW though. I don't think I could stand northern Minn. I think this part of the state is as cold weather wise as I can tolerate. I should go up there in the summer though, maybe that would change my tune.
Northern Wisconsin is also nice. Vilas and Oneida counties should fit the bill along with Sawyer county.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM

33 posts, read 80,955 times
I'm going to compare the two cities I lived in I like Chicago because I was born and raised there and we got a lot to do here and our city is big and a tourist attraction. plus we have one of the best downtown's ever. The crime is bad the education is ok depending on where you live the hospitals are great and the housing authority here sucks. The cultural diversity is ok we got people from all walks of life here also, but they all live on the Northside of the city especially in Rogers Park.

Chicago helps with getting an education but a job and housing is hard to come by here cause we got so many people here and a lot of more to come. The housing authority still got there wait list for section 8 and public housing closed in 2012 but Minnesota still help out with public housing. Hopefully Chicago open up as well we got a lot of new mixed income housing popping up everywhere that can't nobody afford not to mention the gentrification that's going on here. Most of the ares that's becoming integrated is Rogers Park, Humboldt Park, Hyde Park, Uptown, Lincoln Park and Edgewater.

Chicago is culturally diverse but very segregated at the Moment. They trying there best to gentrify the place.

I like Minneapolis because of the education system it's a woman and kid state they got tons of government services and resources. I also like the cultural diversity and the landscapes. The Mall of America in Bloomington, MN is too cool and so is Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis. The people are friendly and they got so many people there from all over the world like Whites, Blacks, Hmongs, Native Americans, Indians, people from the caribbean and a whole lot of Somalians. Downtown Minneapolis also have skyline which I love and is very beautiful because in the winter time you can go outside and walk through the skyline your outside but yet inside as well it is so cool and very little crime.

Minneapolis help you with everything thing from getting into a shelter and getting housing to getting an education and a job and cheaper cost of living than chicago.

Chicago got a mass transit system which is just about the only thing they got on Minneapolis.

Chicago got buses, pace, taxi, metra train and L line trains.

Minneapolis got buses,one train that takes you from downtown Minnespolis to the Mall Of America and tons of cabs.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former MN resident View Post
Been here 17 years, moving to Oregon in one. Can't wait to leave. Former MN resident
If you stayed for 17 years, you could not have disliked it that much. You would have been out sooner.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 PM

Ideal Minnesota places...for retirees: Alexandria, Red Wing, New Ulm, Buffalo and Annandale (admittedly biased...our family had a vacation cabin on Bass Lake a few miles from Annandale during my childhood years...we moved to CA when I was 12).

College students: Northfield, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud, Winona, Bemidji and Moorhead.

Middle class people ages 30-55: several neighborhoods of Minneapolis and St. Paul, most TC suburbs, Rochester, St. Cloud, Mankato, Northfield and Duluth in 5-10 years.

People with $$$$ (the wealthy): Lake Minnetonka region (Excelsior, Orono, Wayzata), North Oaks, Kenwood/Lake of Isles neighborhood of Minneapolis, Stillwater and Mendota Heights.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Ideal Minnesota places...for retirees: Alexandria, Red Wing, New Ulm, Buffalo and Annandale (admittedly biased...our family had a vacation cabin on Bass Lake a few miles from Annandale during my childhood years...we moved to CA when I was 12).

College students: Northfield, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud, Winona, Bemidji and Moorhead.

Middle class people ages 30-55: several neighborhoods of Minneapolis and St. Paul, most TC suburbs, Rochester, St. Cloud, Mankato, Northfield and Duluth in 5-10 years.

People with $$$$ (the wealthy): Lake Minnetonka region (Excelsior, Orono, Wayzata), North Oaks, Kenwood/Lake of Isles neighborhood of Minneapolis, Stillwater and Mendota Heights.
I should have also included the wealthier TC suburbs like Edina, Chanhassen, Shoreview, and Mahtomedi. I know I left out a few others.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,474,724 times
I always say North Shore, but that probably means I see it like Oz, something no place could live up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota