Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,782 times

Advertisements

I am researching history of Nassau, MN. Anybody have any information they can share?

I believe one of the "Founding Fathers" of that community was William Penn Macy. Who were the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM

70 posts, read 279,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Barry View Post
I am researching history of Nassau, MN. Anybody have any information they can share?

I believe one of the "Founding Fathers" of that community was William Penn Macy. Who were the others?
I am not from the area, but I am a geography/history nut.

Try this link: http://home.att.net/~Local_History/LacQuiParle-Co-MN.htm (broken link)

And also, check out Greg Breining's website. http://www.gregbreining.com/
He is a local author who has written exensively about the area.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,571 times
I am preparing a slide for a family reunion my all of my fathers family grew up and are from there my mother grew up not to far away. I have some extensive history as it relates to Censuses information but it hard to find much history as the town is almost no existent. My father's family moved there in the late 18oo's it was mostly farm community. I am looking for any old or new pictures and fill footage of the town if you happen to have any or no where to find it could you let me know? I ll keep you posted of any thing that I find.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
Hey this is cool! I live about 7 miles north or Nassau! It's a great town, although, I do not know who started the town. Its sort of dying off..the town only has around 100 people left. The post office left a few years back, and the only thing holding the town together is the grain elevator, and Wildungs ( a parts/ implement dealer). Otherwise the town is pretty tiny. Anything else you would like to know? Are you researching the town for some family history or something?

Like I said, the town is super small. Most towns in this area that used to be big are either small, or completely gone. Look up Rosen Minnesota on google earth. Its basically a few houses near each other around a church. All the people left this area and now its just farms. p.s I grew up in Rosen...I love that town! I live about 2 miles northwest of Rosen.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
It's sad what's happening to Nassau, how it's dying off. Unfortunately, it's happening to small towns all across the Plains, not just in western Minnesota.

Towns like Nassau and Rosen were founded on farming and agriculture, and back in the late 19th century it took a lot of hands to farm a field. Now, with our technology, it takes many fewer people. Because farming was the only economic opportunity in these areas, people left. People are still leaving. Unfortunately, most people from my generation (I'm in my 20s) think it's "uncool" to live in small towns, so they all head for Sioux Falls, Fargo or The Cities after they finish high school. It sucks, but that's what's in today - "move to the city." The groupthink is so strong.

I wish there was something to bring small Plains towns back. There needs to be some source of jobs to attract new people. Growing towns like Marshall and Worthington have decent economies, and they (and surrounding towns) are growing, while other towns in the area are shrinking.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
I can't even Google Street view Nassau.

Whats all there? You said the post office left, looking close up on it at google maps it it says theres a state bank of marietta there, is that still there?
You also have to remember the Post Office is hurting as well, so yeah

Lucan has about 300 people and has a post office, and a little restaurant/bar/microbrewery place there, and a bank that my mom used to bank at and my grandma and one of my aunts still bank at it to this day, and my aunt that banks there has lived in Mankato for around 30 years, and she still supports the bank there and banks at it.

Theres also a park there, and another really small park(not sure if its still there) and some churches. Out of all the small towns in minnesotaa (<1000 people) im most familiar with Lucan, mainly because I have spent soooo much time there visiting my grandma couple days every month for well over 10 years, probably around 13 years.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Unfortunately, most people from my generation (I'm in my 20s) think it's "uncool" to live in small towns, so they all head for Sioux Falls, Fargo or The Cities after they finish high school. It sucks, but that's what's in today - "move to the city." The groupthink is so strong
Well, after kids finish high school they go to college or get a job, or they live in their parent's basement. There is the university in Marshall, but the reason they go to Sioux Falls or the cities is because thats where the colleges and the jobs are. But yes, one of the reasons im going to St. Paul this fall for college is because I really want to, and Minneapolis was my first choice but MCTC doesn't have the program I want, but if I wasn't going to the cities i'd stay in St. Cloud or go to Mankato or Duluth or Fargo or Marshall or anywhere else that has a college with the program I want. It'd be next to impossible for someone like me graduating high school this year to get up and move to a town like Nassau with little to no money and no job when I get out there. If I were to go to Marshall, I would then live in Marshall, not move to Wabasso and commute, lol. Also housing will be next to impossible to get, while my grandma lives in an apartment in Wabasso(I think it's a small 8plex building), rentals are practically nonexistant in really small towns like Wabasso or Nassau.

I have a cousin whos same age as I am who lives in Redwood Falls graduating high school this year and hes probably going to Southwest Minnesota State in Marshall and he will be living right in Marshall.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Then they could go to college and move (back) to small towns after graduation. There are jobs available in tiny towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota