Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,625 times

Advertisements

I grew up in MN but havn't lived there since we have had children. We currently live in southern california and our son is in pop warner football, he's 8. Popwarner is HUGE down here and very competitive. What do 8 yaer old in Minnesota join if they want to play football there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 05:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Most towns have a rec league at that age. Football is popular but not like it is in some states (Texas especially). There may be a Pop Warner league in MN but I haven't heard of one. I know in our town the kids play each other. There are probably 15 teams and they play against each other during the season. I don't think they start tackle football until about 4th or 5th grade though.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Ha, Youth Football is awful in the Twin Cities, especially in Minnesota. Most communities in the Twin Cities Metro area don't even have Little League teams. Pop Warner is great because it gets young football players into the right mindset of football with contact and getting the right kids into the right positions. I remember youth football in 6th grade, they would have the weirdest kids at the weirdest positions, and it was flag football. I mean tall lanky kids playing running back, and short fat kids playing wide receiver. It's a joke.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Does it get competitive in the middle school/high school age? I remember football being a big deal in high school, but I guess it was mostly for fun, like Friday night lights and all. From what the parents down here tell me, in socal if your child doesn't start football at 7-8, there is no chance he will make the high school teams here since they are so so competitive.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Most athletics in Minnesota are quite competative. the Minnesota State High School Leauge does a great job at sustaining great coaches and programs.

Minnesota is THE best State in the USA for High School Hockey, and probably top 3 for High School Wrestling. The state Cross Country meet is one of the best in the USA as well.

It all goes hand in hand with the fact that Minnesotans are educated, healthy, and hard workers- and it shows in our work ethic and success of HS sports.

The football here isnt like in Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, or Virgina, but the programs are respectable

Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Unfortunately, no. The Vikings have a big following but youth football lacks big time in MN. That being said, there are a few exceptionally good programs: Eden Praire and Cretin Derham-Hall (A catholic school in St. Paul) stand out.

In Minnesota, at the HS level, hockey is where it's at. There is no high school league in the country, in any sport, that can rival Minnesota high school hockey. The state tournament at the Xcel Center holds 18,000+ fans and sells out the hs tourney a year in advance. A big HS football game in MN would be lucky to get 1/3 the amount of fans a big time hockey game (like between Hill Murray and White Bear) would get.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Unfortunately, no. The Vikings have a big following but youth football lacks big time in MN. That being said, there are a few exceptionally good programs: Eden Praire and Cretin Derham-Hall (A catholic school in St. Paul) stand out.

In Minnesota, at the HS level, hockey is where it's at. There is no high school league in the country, in any sport, that can rival Minnesota high school hockey. The state tournament at the Xcel Center holds 18,000+ fans and sells out the hs tourney a year in advance. A big HS football game in MN would be lucky to get 1/3 the amount of fans a big time hockey game (like between Hill Murray and White Bear) would get.
both statement are 100% false. i was at a regular season blaine/anoka football game with 12,000 souls. high school hockey only draws good crowds for the playoffs and state tournament. hockey arenas are small and they're rarely full. yes, the tournament is a big deal. but regular season hockey attendance pales in comparison to football attendance.

most schools in minnesota don't even offer hockey and many programs are consolidated so the towns don't really care anyway. hockey lives off of it's storied tradition. but interest in the sport is limited to a few of the powerhouses. there's very little turnover. only a few elite programs are in the tournament year after year after etc....

Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
both statement are 100% false. i was at a regular season blaine/anoka football game with 12,000 souls. high school hockey only draws good crowds for the playoffs and state tournament. hockey arenas are small and they're rarely full. yes, the tournament is a big deal. but regular season hockey attendance pales in comparison to football attendance.

most schools in minnesota don't even offer hockey and many programs are consolidated so the towns don't really care anyway. hockey lives off of it's storied tradition. but interest in the sport is limited to a few of the powerhouses. there's very little turnover. only a few elite programs are in the tournament year after year after etc....

Go to a Warroad vs Roseau game, pretty sure it's packed and it's not playoffs, and they are two remote tiny towns in NW Minnesota...

Old 09-03-2009, 10:43 AM

If we are able to move to MN in 2 years, our son will be 10. Will there be programs to keep him in football..he LOVES it and we want to let him continue playing. Is it tacckle football at 10. We would be looking to live in a western suburb. Thanks...

Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM

20 posts, read 71,815 times
My brother is 11 and here in Alexandria he's in a rec league run through Lakes Area Recreation (YMCA might be taking over soon??) but they play tackle. Just intramurals though. Here, 8th grade is the first year where you travel to play other towns in football.

That being said, with the size of our town it's not out of the question to start your own football league that travels, etc. It's been done with baseball, soccer, basketbal, and volleyball here so far. Football isn't out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota