Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,377 times

Advertisements

i'm 53 raised in california, lived in belle plaine (southern west mn pass shakopee) for one year and back to california, sure the winter is tough but it was a new experience, left because of sickness in the family, was lucky in that i sold in california and in mn before the bubble burst, able to buy a cheaper home (but newer) in antelope valley ca for what you can get in a small town in southern mn, you can't beat the weather in california 11 months of sun, but you can't beat the people in mn as being more friendly- cost of living is higher in mn, food is more expensive (seems to me that the stores in mn are in cahoots in keeping prices the same -non competitive), even the water is more expensive in mn than in my desert community in california, be prepare to pay higher for gas and electricity for the home-get use to the state mandated humdifier running 24 hours, watch the show at the gas stations i swear they change "hourly" but is still cheaper than california. it is a coin toss, if we had jobs in mn we would probably move back, but as of right now i am liquidated our belongings and see what happens-hard to find jobs in california presently have two school age girls, they will miss soccer but basketball and valleyball is great. the city of los angeles - 60 miles south of us - mostly immigrants legal and illegal, the state of ca is overwhelm with the cost of taking the illegals and paiding for the legal immigrants distant families that do come with them (the legal immigrants bring all of their brothers, sisters, cousins, parents and they become a problem for the overtax welfare system and medi-cal (free) system in ca.- i.e. pharmacist which are in short supply in the u.s. are coming from many nations around the world- they bring therir families as stated before, the pharmacist make their 150,000 but the family members they bring cut the job supply that is already low, lower, or if they can't find a job they go on welfare and medi-cal-thus not a good trade-off for the pharmacist- a losing battle more money lost for ca.

toss a coin and pick, but if you pick mn, burnsville, shakopee, apple valley, prior lake are nice like burbank, glendale, san fernando valley in california, but very much white.

watch out for the smaller towns, as their expenses are very high, thus utilities, property tax are outrageous, check all before buying, renting is a very good idea for a full year or two (to feel the full effect of the seasons)

also watch out on the freeways- no guardrails- so you can easily see yourself in a pond or lake, stay away from lowlying housing by rivers-floodings and expect tornando warnings and hailstorms but dynamic weather as it is all flat and changes rapidly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:29 PM

43 posts, read 101,023 times
I hate to be the person that says this but I have grown up my whole life in southern mn and I LOVE it but I have also seen the really dark side of southern mn and that is all the cancer...........who knows where it is coming from and who knows if we will ever know in the last 6 months I have had 4 people i know die from cancer and no one knows what it is from..........could guess the chemicals the farmers are using gets in our water but who really knows. Doctors say some of hte worst cases they see comes form the sw part of mn which I love and nothing against farmers i have grown up on a farm but this is something to think about...........I am going through a family member with cancer and seen some pretty bad ones come out of this area and I really don't want to see anyone go through this. I forgot southern mn is in the top of the list for thyroid cancer for females age 25-30. Again I love southern mn and have no problems well a few with the growth of mexicans moving here and not being legal but that is everywhere.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:27 PM

36 posts, read 66,341 times
Default Not a hater

I dont think anyone who prefers California over Minnesota is a hater. I was born and raised in MN and I COULD NOT WAIT to leave. I adore my family and some of my good friends, but that is it. California has ALOT of problems obviously but it is true that the sunshine in general makes people happier. California has an awfuly bad rep. Especially in MN. I hear MN's all the time make California jokes when they themselves have never visited.

California Con's:

Gas prices that are incredibly un-justified
A horrible housing market
Over 11 million people in just L.A. County where I live (Almost triple of MN's whole population)
Lack of trees. MN is very green compared to Los Angeles
No real sense of community
Extremely spread out

Minnesota Con's

1. Passive aggressive people. I dont care what anyone says, Minnesota people are not very friendly. I have heard this from a MASSIVE amount of transplants when I lived their.

2. Minnesota has TOO much state culture. If your an outsider you better hope to god you like hunting, ice fishing, potlucks, hotdish, and meet fellow outsiders. Minnesotan's are notorious for having the SAME friends year in and year out. It's fine to have great lifetime friends, but it makes being a transplant extremely hard.

3. Weather that is insane by anyone's standards. Colorado has 4 seasons but they are not OFF THE WALL like Minnesota. It could be 75 degress in October and then have high's in the 30's three days later. Very hard to adjust. The cold in the winter will remind you of every hair that is placed on your body. It's cold, cold, cold. Side note: I love snow, just not extreme frigid cold.

4. Poorly traveled folks: Minnesotan's hate on almost EVERY state that is not MN. This is a fact, not an observation.

5. Lakes can be pretty, but Minnesotan's dont travel alot because they plan at the age of the 3 to have a 'up north' lake place. Minnesotan's dont travel the globe much because they spend all of their money on lake places. When they get back from vacation, they usually have something snotty to say about the place they just visited. NOTHING compares to MN in their minds. NOTHING.

6. Humid summers that see mosquitos the size of Chevy trucks

7. They call it POP instead of SODA.

8. They take 25 minutes to say goodbye to everyone

9. Minnesotan's love the booze!

I love some things about Minnesota (Minneapolis is a clean, beautiful city), but the con's far outway the negatives. If your a different race, be ready for a culture shock seeing that outside of Minneapolis the state has a massive caucausion population. It's more expensive here in California with crappy goverment, but I really think nothing compares to an ocean walk, year round perfect climate, friendly chill folk, and authentic sushi and thai food.

BTW - To Minnesotan's the answer is YES! I would rather die by an earthquake then get hit by a drunk driver or get smashed in a ice accident.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entourage8147 View Post
I dont think anyone who prefers California over Minnesota is a hater. I was born and raised in MN and I COULD NOT WAIT to leave. I adore my family and some of my good friends, but that is it. California has ALOT of problems obviously but it is true that the sunshine in general makes people happier. California has an awfuly bad rep. Especially in MN. I hear MN's all the time make California jokes when they themselves have never visited.

California Con's:

Over 11 million people in just L.A. County where I live (Almost triple of MN's whole population)
Extremely spread out

Minnesota Con's

1. Passive aggressive people. I dont care what anyone says, Minnesota people are not very friendly. I have heard this from a MASSIVE amount of transplants when I lived their.

2. Minnesota has TOO much state culture. If your an outsider you better hope to god you like hunting, ice fishing, potlucks, hotdish, and meet fellow outsiders. Minnesotan's are notorious for having the SAME friends year in and year out. It's fine to have great lifetime friends, but it makes being a transplant extremely hard.

3. Weather that is insane by anyone's standards. Colorado has 4 seasons but they are not OFF THE WALL like Minnesota. It could be 75 degress in October and then have high's in the 30's three days later. Very hard to adjust. The cold in the winter will remind you of every hair that is placed on your body. It's cold, cold, cold. Side note: I love snow, just not extreme frigid cold.

4. Poorly traveled folks: Minnesotan's hate on almost EVERY state that is not MN. This is a fact, not an observation.

5. Lakes can be pretty, but Minnesotan's dont travel alot because they plan at the age of the 3 to have a 'up north' lake place. Minnesotan's dont travel the globe much because they spend all of their money on lake places. When they get back from vacation, they usually have something snotty to say about the place they just visited. NOTHING compares to MN in their minds. NOTHING.

I love some things about Minnesota (Minneapolis is a clean, beautiful city), but the con's far outway the negatives. If your a different race, be ready for a culture shock seeing that outside of Minneapolis the state has a massive caucausion population. It's more expensive here in California with crappy goverment, but I really think nothing compares to an ocean walk, year round perfect climate, friendly chill folk, and authentic sushi and thai food.

BTW - To Minnesotan's the answer is YES! I would rather die by an earthquake then get hit by a drunk driver or get smashed in a ice accident.
you don't spell good and if your cons for California are as dumb and as inaccurate as they are for Minnesota then California must be a wonderful place to live.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Geez, I don't have ANY interest in fishing, hunting, and grew up calling it casserole and even sometimes soda. Kind of like saying all Californians spend all their time surfing, talk in valley talk, and all have cosmetic surgery. My Minnesotan friends and relatives are also mostly very well-traveled; I was jealous of all the travel they got to do while I was living in CA! I think much has to do with the fact that cost of living is enough lower that more people have the money to actually travel, while in CA so much goes to housing (unless you bought pre-bubble, I suppose). And on the flip side, I found that my parts of CA (including in the LA area) had a great sense of community. Not that all places there do, but the same can be said of MN, too.

I think in BOTH states what it comes down to is specific situation and specific location. If you don't like fishing and hunting, for example, there are parts of California that you would not enjoy, just as if you really are into hunting and fishing, there are parts of MN that are probably not your best choice.

If you like big cities, admittedly CA has MN beat, same thing for those with a love of mountains or oceans.

In any case, I've spent seven years in California (bounced back and forth between CA and MN a bit) and love them both. I also know that there are locations in both states where I would NOT be happy. Take just LA, for example; I loved where I lived, but there are portions of LA that would leave me absolutely miserable if I lived there. The same could certainly also be said of Minnesota.

I think sometimes people who have grown up in a place have a tendency to see it through a limited vision; human nature, of course, and something we all do, but remember that we all have different experiences. There is no one "Minnesota" experience. The stereotypical hunting/fishing/live in the same place all your life and never leave experience is just one of many. While I think it's great to get out and explore new parts of the country (and really miss living in LA), you could probably have also found a different experience if you just made a move within the state.

I also never heard California jokes while living in MN, by the way. Most Minnesotans are more likely to ask WHY we moved back! The only negative comments I've received have been from former Californians or those married to former Californians. (not that everyone wants to move off to CA -- most people are perfectly happy where they live, or would choose somewhere else before they chose CA -- but they have no anti-CA bias, unlike some states, mostly those where ex-Californians have been blamed for running up real estate prices!) Not sure where you're from in MN, but it sounds like you're just talking about your circle of family and friends, who sound like they have more limited experiences (or when it comes to the anti-CA cracks, are just giving you a hard time for the fun of it). And believe me, there are people like that in CA, too.

I will say that I grew to appreciate the benefits of Minneapolis more when I lived in other places. Sometimes it takes time spent elsewhere to get some added perspective of both the strengths and weaknesses of a place.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entourage8147 View Post

California Con's:

Extremely spread out

Minnesota Con's

As someone who grew up in Minneapolis for 20 years, and now going on year 3 in Los Angeles, I mostly agree with this post. Poor Los Angeles is the red-headed step child of cities. Lot's of people bash it, before ever traveling here.

The pop instead of Soda one isn't much of a con. Who cares? And, I enjoy the humidity in the summer, Los Angeles never really has hot summer nights.

However, I prefer California over Minnesota, any day.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
As someone who grew up in Minneapolis for 20 years, and now going on year 3 in Los Angeles, I mostly agree with this post. Poor Los Angeles is the red-headed step child of cities. Lot's of people bash it, before ever traveling here.

The pop instead of Soda one isn't much of a con. Who cares? And, I enjoy the humidity in the summer, Los Angeles never really has hot summer nights.

However, I prefer California over Minnesota, any day.
Except for the majority of August and September this year. Even by the beach.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Remember that Los Angeles does not equate "California." Heck, even the different neighborhoods in LA can vary so dramatically! Just like one guy's small town MN experience with some sheltered friends doesn't equate to "Minnesota." Both states are big enough that they have a huge range of experiences. California is obviously much bigger and has a much wider range of types of experiences, but Minnesota has its share of diversity, too. (although FWIW, I do prefer LA to Minneapolis, but also find much to like about Minneapolis)

Old 10-23-2012, 03:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Because grouping 5 million people under one category under fisherman, hunters, pop-sayers makes sense.....

I'm not even going to waste my time reply to your post.

Besides, it's been proven that Minnesotans travel well. We travel a lot more than people from other states. And not just within the US, we're pretty global. It's an easy number to calculate - the # of INTL flights and Minnesotans on them, and passports per capita.

And yes, Minnesotans DO travel a lot> It's been proven. There are entire hotel chains in Mexico that have Minnesotans as their primary demographic. So don't give us this mumbo-jumbo of not travelling.

You passive-agressive opinion is just an opinion. For every person that's told me "Wow Minnesotans are cold" I've heard "Wow, Minnesotans are so nice". So it's a wash. take it how you want.

Your generalizations are sickening. No one in my circle of friends/co-workers/family hunts, fishes or participate in 'potlucks'

Minnesota is #1 when it comes to snowbirds - A lot of people have houses in Florida or Arizona. Plus a lot of those people have cabins. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind living in a place that does so economically well (per capita GDP) that they can afford to live half the year in a different house in a different state...Or have a cabin/second home.

Lookie here, I ended up wasting my time replying to your post. But it seems like you have a lot of insecurities. I think you're someone who grew up pretty sheltered in an outstate Minnesota community. Disgruntled that the weather isn't cool enough for you. All of your "cons" are pretty ridiculous and complete conjecture. You don't like Minnesota because the people there say pop, take too long to say goodbye, it gets humid in the summer, and they like booze?

How old are you? 20? 23?

Soon you'll grow up and realize that while ocean walks, beaches and palm trees are cool, its the real things that matter in life like Cost of Living, Air/Water Quality, Affordable Housing, Job Availability, Good Government and Schools... All of which have been proven to be better in MINNESOTA than CALIFARTNIA

Last edited by knke0204; 10-23-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 08:53 PM

36 posts, read 66,341 times
Default Are you ok or did I ruin your week?

For starters, I think you did waste your time with the anger targeted at me. I had a friend on the phone from MN sit here while we teased each other about the states we will live in. I was trying to have fun and you said it was sickening? I wasnt trying to rattle the overly sensitive at all. California gets a bad rep. Especially from from people who have never even visited it here. I miss things about MN and still have family and friends located there. I think it's perfectly ok to poke fun at my hometown and NOT get extremely defensive responses back. I truly apologize if I have offended you somehow. It certainly wasnt something I intended to do in the slightest. I dont think I was mean in anything I wrote. Minnesota IS a culture shock for people who have never lived there. That is a fact. Especially coming from California. I think the same could be said from someone used to MN upbringings than all of sudden moving to Philadelphia. Am I correct? Is Minnesota cheaper? YES! Is Minnesota a good place to raise a family? YES. Does it get extremely cold in the winter? Ummmm... Yeah. Is the food different than California? YES. I could keep going on and on. Minnesota has it's own way of living and I wasnt stating that anything was wrong about that. To each their own. I didnt mean to offend anyone but just was giving a fun (if somewhat stereotyping) rant about my experiences in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota