Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,058,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The metro tv anchors ( and nightly world news anchors) both stated that it could be a cold winter, but the good news is the heating costs have dropped.

I filled today with furnace oil ( a popular fuel in rural Minnesota) and paid ------$2.09

------$2.95 in October of last year.

However, I paid $1.95 December of last year

----------------$1.79 end of January 09
----------------$1.49 mid march of last year
(all those prices were cash prices and using the same fuel company )

Those fuel price drops were amazing last year and unless it repears itself ( highly unlikely) fuel bills for this season will be a whole lot higher.

And yet the " talking heads" from the metro and national news try to " spin" and convince you otherwise.
It dropped relative to fall last year. Perhaps the pattern will continue and it will keep dropping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:43 AM

16,368 posts, read 30,094,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The metro tv anchors ( and nightly world news anchors) both stated that it could be a cold winter, but the good news is the heating costs have dropped.

Those fuel price drops were amazing last year and unless it repears itself ( highly unlikely) fuel bills for this season will be a whole lot higher.

And yet the " talking heads" from the metro and national news try to " spin" and convince you otherwise.

I purchase natural gas AND electricity for a manufacturing facility. Less than two years ago, I paid $1.25/therm in January for natural gas delivered. Two months ago, the spot market was closer to 0.31/therm.

I sat through a presentation in 2005 which stated that natural gas was "running out" and that gas would shoot up considerably. In the past three years, there have been a number of large reserves located, many in NW Louisiana so that supplies are up substantially.

If you are in a situation where you can buy fuel in the off-season, you can get some great deals and will really cut your heating prices. We buy must of our natural gas at the ead of the heating season through a program with the utility that allows us to store natural gas.

However, do realize that ALL energy costs are volatile. If this winter is a lot colder than expected, spot rates in all the fuels will jump considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota