Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,599,000 times

Advertisements

Restored Fort St. Charles occupies the exact site of the original fort and fur trading post, built in 1732.

The reconstructed fort is located on Magnusons Island at the Northwest Angle, near Angle Inlet in Lake of the Woods County, Visitors may access the Island by boat from Angle Inlet at the Northwest Angle.

Grand Mound, at the mereging of the Big Fork and Rainy Rivers. Large burial mounds of the Laurel Culture

Koochiching Museums Smokey Bear Park, International Falls. Earley area history interpreted.

Ranier Rail Port, showing the oldest Cantiliever Rail Bridge in the United States or Canada.

Gold Mine District, Rainy Lake Vistitor Center, Voyagers National Park. Self guide tours of the historic gold mines that brought many to Rainy Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Lake Shetek State Park, located in Murray County, home of the Shetek Monument where 15 early settlers who died in the 1862 Dakota Conflict are buried. Several pioneer cabin sites are found inside the park, including Duley, Wright, Smith and Eastlick, however the only cabin surviving is the 1857 Koch cabin.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Lake George, Minnesota
Where 2havefun - Lake George, Minnesota

Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,566 times
I just was at Cass Lake the other day and stoped at their rest area off Hwy 2. I did not have time, but would love to have rented a boat to go out to the little Island on their lake that has a lake on the Island called, Lake Windigo. There was some historical information regarding making birch bark canoes and a history of the Anishinabe People. Very interesting. This is all right next to the Chippewa National Forest and is full of resorts and all about 15 miles from Bemidji and Lake Itasca State Park. Great area of the state.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:56 PM

141 posts, read 284,741 times
I'd say during the summer attend a street dance on the Range, they are fun and unique also a great gateway to some of the mining museums in Chisholm and grab a pastie for the ride home.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,566 times
You should also check out the Sudan Underground Mine-super cool experience.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,577 times
OP - Your idea of seeing MN is something I also want to do. I think MN and WISC are beautiful states and would be happy to travel in them the rest of my life.
Here is something that is really cool to do.....Each year on November 11th the Split Rock Lighthouse, on the north shore, has an outdoor ceremony to honor those who perished on the Edmund Fitzgerald. The really cool part is that the lighthouse light is lit for one hour at 5pm. Many people go to this and it is fun to walk along the trails right by Lake Superior with a flashlight and the glow of the lighthouse. When I lived up there I attended 5 yrs in a row. Love it!
Also, while going up the shore the best place for PIE is The Rustic Inn (not Betty's) on Hwy 61 in Castle Danger. All the food is good there.
The best agate shop is Beaver Bay Agate Shop & Museum - great displays, merchandise, and very friendly owners. This shop has something in everyone's price range.
Happy trails! P.S. I know these aren't "unusual" but what is anymore? ha-ha!!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,955 times
Ok, I can't believe no one has mentioned Dorset yet. Of all the small towns I've visited in my travels around the state, this one takes the cake. Wait for summer of coarse..

Dorset Minnesota - Restaurant Capital of the World ! - Park Rapids, Dorset, Nevis, Minnesota, MN

Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM

Chainsaw Sisters Saloon, Now on the National Registory of Historic Buildings Mn.

Small cemetary at Sawbill Landing, Mn.

Pictographs at North Hegman Lake at least day use permit required, canoe, just off Echo Trail Northern Mn

Pictographs on Island River, in Superior National Forest, canoe required passes into the B. on part of the paddle.

Last edited by demtion35; 11-20-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Wrenchall, Mn just south of Duluth a bit has a 30 foot high statue of a beautiful 8 point buck in full running leap over a large log.

The Rose Garden, known as Leif Erickson Park in Duluth, has a central water fountain with an intresting history. On the nearby plaque which tells of its use in the early days of Duluth, the fountain was in the Northern end of the city used to water horses.

Lake superior Railroad Museum North Shore Scenic Railroad, a wonderful place for 4-5 hours of pleasure.

Railroad Museum Duluth, MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota