Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,573,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuan View Post
It really makes a difference in the spring. Spring comes a month earlier in Marshall compared to Bemidji.
Well, as far as Duluth goes, the lake is the major heat sink. There's microclimates in Duluth. It's very weird. Downtown is colder in the summer, but warmer in the winter. Up the hill just feels like a completely different climate than downtown! Very odd, and must be experienced on a summer day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:12 PM

141 posts, read 284,586 times
Those six months is when the ice fishing is available. You gotta be outside, along with the road sledding, snowmobiling, and the saunas and jumping in holes cut in the ice, or maybe this is because I am still young. Or maybe its the ranger in me, but I love the winter.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,860,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Well, you're comparing a part of Australia that ranges from subtropical to tropical. Especially North Queensland.

I'll take Cairns for example. You'd be better off comparing the climate of Cairns and Miami.

Minnesota just plain is a cold place. It's for people who like cold weather. It's not for me, but I can understand why some would like that and respect their decision to stay here. (While I'm on my way out in a few months here )
So true.

But its more fun to compare a winter day in Cairns being warmer than the same summer day in Minnesota.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
So true.

But its more fun to compare a winter day in Cairns being warmer than the same summer day in Minnesota.
Haha indeed! I noticed that Duluth's summers are either the same or colder than Phoenix (Arizona)'s winters! Haha. Yes indeed, weather is quite an interesting thing!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:24 AM

679 posts, read 1,801,627 times
Personally, I would rather be inside than out for most of the winter, but with children -- it's unavoidable. I do run if it's above 10 degrees, but skiing here SUCKS, ice skating is generally too cold, snowmobiling is too loud, cross-country skiing is nice but bringing three little kids along? No thanks.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 AM

429 posts, read 1,147,771 times
I spent more time indoors when I lived in Southern California, because I couldn't take the heat or the smog!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:30 PM

559 posts, read 1,322,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
So true.

Wow! If your winter days are hotter than 90F with a dew point of 70, I would hate to see what your summer is like down there! I hope everyone has air conditioning down there so your not dying of heat stroke and gasping for air

Old 11-16-2009, 06:28 PM

987 posts, read 3,816,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Personally, I would rather be inside than out for most of the winter, but with children -- it's unavoidable. I do run if it's above 10 degrees, but skiing here SUCKS, ice skating is generally too cold, snowmobiling is too loud, cross-country skiing is nice but bringing three little kids along? No thanks.
You can check out the MYSL. Minnesota Youth Ski League My friend has triplets and she's had them out since they could walk.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Wow! If your winter days are hotter than 90F with a dew point of 70, I would hate to see what your summer is like down there! I hope everyone has air conditioning down there so your not dying of heat stroke and gasping for air
That's an extreme case. 90's don't happen too often in Minnesota. I think it happened once this summer in Duluth. How many times did it happen in the rest of Minnesota? Not many. 90's don't happen all that often. It's USUALLY in the 60's, 70's, and sometimes 80's in the summer. In extreme heat waves it can get up into the 90's.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:03 PM

559 posts, read 1,322,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
That's an extreme case. 90's don't happen too often in Minnesota. I think it happened once this summer in Duluth. How many times did it happen in the rest of Minnesota? Not many. 90's don't happen all that often. It's USUALLY in the 60's, 70's, and sometimes 80's in the summer. In extreme heat waves it can get up into the 90's.
Well, in the summer Duluth might as well be 1,000 miles away from southern Minnesota, you have the lake affect there, plus its way north. In my area of the state (not to far from the Iowa border) the AVERAGE high in July and August is 85F so we see quite a few 90s in June-August. The humidity can compare with that of the deep south during those months as well. This summer was a great exception and was way below normal I think we only saw 90's 5 or 6 times, it was indeed mostly in the 70's and 80's all summer. We hardly ever see highs in the 60's during the summer, maybe in Duluth. I do love the thunder storms that the heat and humidity bring though as long as there are no tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota