Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM

102 posts, read 622,297 times

Advertisements

Winter is coming. In Minnesota, it is going to be another harsh one. Personally, I hate the cold and the winter. I can't stand it (look at my name)! Just out of curiousity how many Minnesotans love our winters, and how many of us HATE them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
Hello

I have posted before about winter....and I am the opposite of warmweather. I was born and raised in Kentucky and hated the constant heat and humidity of the lower Ohio valley....and always wanted to go north. First it was central Canada, but job-wise got into weather forecasting and my dream location was in Grand Forks ND as it is one of the coldest areas of the lower 48.

So...I love the cold...snow is OK...but I like zero and below. Do I go outside in that for hours at a time....no....but I do enjoy the feeling of that crisp arctic air and the crunch of dry snow while walking. Above about 75 and I dont like it too much....I am very hot natured it seems. And odd but true the doctor said I may have the reverse SAD's....in that I have to go through an adjustment period in spring when things are warming and greening up as I get very irritable, crabby and just want to stay inside. In the fall when the leaves are falling and nights are longer I am so happy.

Takes both kinds I suppose.

And...just read today that the waters of the Pacific around the equator have warmed some more....so looks like a moderate El-Nino coming up for much of the winter which in the northern plains into Minnesota means a good chance of above average temps for the winter as a whole. Of course does not mean we will not get a very cold period or two....but that extreme cold will not be common (cold as compared to average).

Dan

Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,488 times
I am from the State of Minnesota, I have lived here about all my life. I for one am with you on this, I hate snow and everything that goes with it, the cold temps. for sure, it does my body harm. We seen the first 12 inches in our area already. I hated trying to shovel it, bout killed me.
Thank God the temps have warmed up enough that most of it has melted. I also do not like driving in it, because we have to many nuts out there that don't know how to drive. I plan on moving out of here next summer, so I am thankful this will be the last winter I see here. Hope this made you day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweather! View Post
Winter is coming. In Minnesota, it is going to be another harsh one. Personally, I hate the cold and the winter. I can't stand it (look at my name)! Just out of curiousity how many Minnesotans love our winters, and how many of us HATE them?

Old 11-15-2006, 07:45 AM

19 posts, read 98,621 times
I sort of like a winter but here it just seems to be too long. To me it seems most years the winter runs from mid october to mid march. Even when it is 40 something temps the wind just makes it feel very cold. Do like the snow and driving on it though. And walking around the city when it is around zero degrees . It is nice to have a warm place when I have had enough though. Am just amazed at the toughness of the homeless streetpeople.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,179,064 times
Default Winter!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the winter. Given the choice, I'd like freezing weather 9 months out of the year. I'm not sure why - guess because I get to wear all those cool holiday sweaters from my grandma <<sigh>>.

Robert

Old 11-15-2006, 03:50 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,556 times
I like living where there's 4 seasons and actually DO enjoy the winter months. I just wish there were only 3 of them instead of the 6 we seem to get in this neck of the woods! I could even do 4 months (like Nov-Feb) but by March I'm ready for spring.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
I also like the 4 seasons, by time winter is rolling around, like now, I am ready for snow and change. By March I am ready for spring, etc. The changing seasons are what make Minnesota great. No, I don't like the -50's we have sometimes but I also don't like the 100+'s we have.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweather! View Post
I loved the winters up there, and I miss them terribly. Except when I'm wearing shorts in January down here. :-) But I do -- I miss the way sound changes and gets "crisper" when the temp gets down around -15F or so, and I miss the feel of COLD air on my face (it'll get into the teens here at night a few times a year, but that's not quite the same).

Old 11-23-2006, 05:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
I remember on year, about 1977-78 somewhere around there, when one local tv station was having a contest to predict the first 2"+ snowfall in the twin cities because we hadn't had snow yet. That year we got that snow on Thanksgiving. It was odd then going into Thanksgiving not having snow, NOW, it is almost normal. Heck, it was 55° here yesterday and looking for similar temps today. I miss the snow!

Old 11-23-2006, 05:03 PM

29 posts, read 66,658 times
Default Having just moved here...

I have to say that the winter here is the most OVERRATED thing ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota