Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:46 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk123 View Post
I know a few people that live in northern Wisconsin that poach. But they do it to feed themselves and their families. In many rural areas a lack of a good paying job exist especially in the winter months. An as a hunter I don't really have a problem with this. But as another poster said this guy didn't kill the deer solely for food to feed his family. He did it to get a record.
I would still have an issue with someone fishing over the limit (hungry or not) when it relates to fishing in MN. But there are no shortage of deer in MN or WI. Rules still need to be followed though... So long as they are hunting deer for food and there isn't a lot of pressure on the population, then I will look the other way. I suspect authorities also look the other way when it comes to deer poaching in rural communities. People don't even hide from doing so. It's a way of life in Northern MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 05:53 PM

150 posts, read 405,597 times
I also heard that he's wanted in Montana for illegal hunting. Anyone else hear this? The hunting has been pretty bad this year up here in the north country. DNR (do not respond) had given so many excuses...

Susie in MN

Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 6,106 times
Default Poaching deer or Moose or ELK....

Poaching to feed family? That is a good excuse or the best I would think of. However, it is still stealing from his neighbors. Rules are rules and if you allow this poacher to come up will "oh poor me" stuff then the paying hunters are the ones who loose out.. This is stealing simply as that. Now if the courts want others to get away with this then lets all go kill deer out of season..

Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 6,106 times
Angry Park Ranger or F & Game guys shot?

In Organ several weeks ago I know of one for sure and maybe two Park Rangers or Fish and Game guys were shot and killed by what they think was a poacher? Any of you hunters from Oregon can add to this story?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 AM

150 posts, read 405,597 times
Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkroad2 View Post
Poaching to feed family? That is a good excuse or the best I would think of. However, it is still stealing from his neighbors. Rules are rules and if you allow this poacher to come up will "oh poor me" stuff then the paying hunters are the ones who loose out.. This is stealing simply as that. Now if the courts want others to get away with this then lets all go kill deer out of season..
I Agree, there are those that hunt for just trophys though. Their the ones that we have to watch for.

Susie

Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,482 times
Times change, rules change. Back in the 1870's the government encouraged you to shoot all the buffalo you could find.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 PM

534 posts, read 1,170,756 times
Quote:
In Organ several weeks ago I know of one for sure and maybe two Park Rangers or Fish and Game guys were shot and killed by what they think was a poacher? Any of you hunters from Oregon can add to this story?
I hadn't heard that, but it sounds a lot like Claude Dallas, a poacher who killed two Idaho game wardens back in the late 70's/early 80's.

I chase these poachers for a living and from what I've seen, many of the the people who claim to do it to "feed their families" could usually do the same thing by working - but they'd rather not work (at ANY job), which allows their families' to collect disability and/or welfare, and which then gives them the time AND the excuse to poach. This is not every person who uses that as a reason, of course, but there are very few "poachers" I've caught who are actually doing it JUST for the food and who couldn't get that food by other means. That's just in my experience.

And of course, anyone who poaches just for a trophy needs a serious lesson in outdoorsman (and woman) ethics, IMO. The premium we put on "big bucks" and not on the hunt, itself, is partly to blame for that, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: