Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 AM

184 posts, read 1,019,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Regardless, the kids have no exposure to ethnic minorities now.
In the year 2007, those kids have lots of exposure to ethnic minorities. School is just a portion of their life. What about their neighborhood? Baseball practice? Dance class? Hanging out at the mall? This one will sound lame, but TV and movies? OK, that last one seems bad, but my point is in 2007, you have a pretty good idea based on the world around you that you are not the only ethnicity out there. Growing up in an all-white class in 1960, that may have been a different case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
If the kids attended the Public Schools near their home 1/3 of the children would be minorities. They are attending a private school that is 100% White. They insist they have not chosen the private school to get away from the minorities, but I wonder. Regardless, the kids have no exposure to ethnic minorities now.

First, why does it bother you so much, second, which school is this because I have not heard of an all white school in the Twin Cities Metro area?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:14 AM

370 posts, read 903,162 times
If the parents are "two faced" then there's probably not much that going to a "ethnically diverse" school is going to do for them, as if that was going to be of meaningful benefit anyhow.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM

76 posts, read 223,744 times
Of course, you will see bias responses from individual whom have no idea what it's like socially to be a minority kid and misunderstood by others. I believe diversity in education is very important to HUMAN development ands the lack of promotes ignorance. There is ALOT of ignorance here in Minnesota as well as other states in the US. I have met more open minded, exposed and progressive people elsewhere. Yet Minnesota has many other important educational opportunities for my daughter and myself. I have met other "minorities' of different ethnic backgrounds who are here and feel the same but we "go along to get along" and get other essentials of life. I pray things change for us all in America. No more crowed Ghettos filled with talented and intelligent children with less educational opportunities than middle class Caucasians in the suburbs. Martin Luther King and John F Kenney died for the sake of America’s progression. There's still a lack of.
When it comes to social issues I wish I could be Robin Hood!

Sabrina

Please... Intelligent responses only….

Old 05-22-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
Of course, you will see bias responses from individual whom have no idea what it's like socially to be a minority kid and misunderstood by others.
What I have "an idea of" is, respectfully, none of anyone's business .
My point was that there is nothing wrong with going to school in a place where the kids are all white, and awareness of culture and diversity is the responsibility of the parent not the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
...but we "go along to get along"...

When it comes to social issues I wish I could be Robin Hood!
These two statements don't quite go together, but we do what we must.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:06 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
I have to say I would be VERY bothered if my daughters school was ALL WHITE...
I prefer a more integrated lifestyle...the last thing children need is to be taught that because they are white, they are superior...

What a shame a school like this even exists...

Is it an accident that the school is all white?

Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM

So, since a school is all white because the area demographic is all white this means that all children at that school are taught that white is superior? I don't see where this was mentioned... Heck, I can't even follow this logic...

Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 PM

I wouldn't send me kids to a school like that AND I am not saying the school teaches that but the example that is given, only white kids can go here so we must be better, is them learning by example...

If you can't follow that then I don't know what else to tell you.

Children are very effected by their environment and in todays USofA its irresponsible to encourage your children to be anything BUT openminded racially...not only do I think its a mistake I think its immoral.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:28 PM

"only white kids can go here"

Huh? Not ethical, not legal, not sure where that came from.
I think if you read the thread carefully you'll see that the school happens to be majority white, it's not policy.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 PM

not majority...ALL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota