Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 PM

11 posts, read 54,618 times

Advertisements

Hi all - We're considering a job relocation to MN and the job would be commutable from the Rochester area. We have 3 children at different ages. Can anyone comment about the culture of Rochester, housing, as well as any other input you could give us? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 10:10 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,624 times
Thumbs up Rochester is Nice

Yeah I lived their in 2006 and I rented At rochester Village Apts.I liked the climate cool falls and mild summers except maybe 2 weeks in August when it got pretty warm and humid.The culture was like a big city esp. downtown yet it had a coziness to yet.I don't know about the housing since I rented.IT seemed great for familes.try silver lake for recreation.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 54,618 times
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info we're looking for. It seems like housing prices are relatively high in the area we're finding...

Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 PM

169 posts, read 526,334 times
this is a good site for rochester real estate: http://semnrealtors.com/

i thought the house price isn't too bad, compared to the twin cities. though i guess it depends on where you're moving from since it is all relative...

Old 05-26-2007, 05:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
You say the job is commutable from Rochester, where is the job? It might be in an area that is more affordable the Rochester or it might not really be commutable in the winter.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 AM

5 posts, read 29,145 times
If you are looking at neighborhoods, this is a good website to look at crime incidents and reports around the Rochester, MN area: Rochester Minnesota Crime Information, Maps, and Reports | RochesterCrime.org

I've lived in Rochester all my life, just recently moved to Byron (8 miles west) but work in Roch. Good place to live.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Nice small city. Great place for young kids although I can see how late teens and single twentysomethings could get bored. Lots of parks and bike/walking trails.

I have to disagree with what an earlier poster said about the culture being "like a big city" -- while there are museums, restaurants, shows, etc, there is definitely nowhere near the variety of a big city. I do wish it was a little closer the Minneapolis/St Paul.

Downtown is compact and walkable. A big chunk of it is Mayo, and you may not notice a lot of businesses/shops but keep in mind that many of them are underground or above-ground-level, linked up by underground and overhead walkways.

Rochester is overall very commuter friendly. Nothing seems to be more than a 10 minute drive away, and it's a nice city for walking or biking.

Generally safe city, although like everywhere else not entirely without problems. There was a murder this year . . . General rule of thumb given to newcomers is "avoid the southeast part of town."

Lots of nice neighborhoods. Housing is generally affordable although if you want a big new McMansion in a new development you will certainly pay for it . . .

Public schools are OK. I think the earlier grades are generally a bit better regarded than the high schools. From talking to people, I get the sense that if your kids are reasonably smart to begin with and can handle honors or other advanced classes, they will get very good educations, but more average students tend to get a more average education.

Didn't notice where you are moving from. Weather is cold in winter (frequently below 0 with wind chills . . .) but you will adapt. Summers are nice; I think one other poster noted maybe a couple really hot weeks at peak summer, but generally it's not too bad. And it always seems to be windy.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 AM

195 posts, read 1,078,584 times
Well, I think it's a great city, I've lived near there. I think it's the perfect city, and unlike most cities in the midwest, people know where it is!!! ( I think..) Anyway, you will love it there.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 16,159 times
Hi Moving616, I have to disagree with Vagus' comment about southeast Rochester. I have lived in that part of town for 14 years and can truthfully say "it's just fine"! If you look at the crime link above, you'll see that most of the bad stuff is happening in the newer parts of town (north) and around the college. The murder happened in the northeast. Southeast has some of the best values in realestate in the Rochester area simply because the 'growth' is happening to the north and to the southwest.

I do agree with the rest of his comments. I like Rochester because it doesn't have the small town clicks or the big city confusion! I'm still finding places I didn't know exsisted and new stuff is poping up all over. We are slated to reach 100,000 souls by Jan 1st, 2008 and I'm sure there will be some kind of celebration!

Good luck with your move....
bipeguy

Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 36,525 times
Bipeguy, may I ask what you think about the Rochester's ethnic diversity? Does it seem to be a favorable place for minorities to live, particularly Blacks or Hispanics? I have visited the Twin Cities and unlike the South I have found people in Minneapolis and St. Paul to be respectful towards Blacks and I was wondering if Rochester had a similar attitude.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota