Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 13,074 times

Advertisements

First time writer , hi. I am relocating from NY to MN, and will adopt 2 toddlers. I have a Section 8 Voucher for $790.00. I hope I can find a two bedrm apt in a decent suburb. Section 8 Voucher holders are not usually the best tennants, because some have been to jail or take drugs. HONESTLY! However since 911 in NY, lots of decent, law abiding folk had to apply for help as jobs were lost. I am one of those, and it is very difficult to even get an appointment with landlords, as they become scared when they hear "Section 8" in NY. The property I live in now is being forclosed on! Any Ideas? How about Golden Valley? I think I am being wise to avoid Minneapolis city, because, although the crime may not be compared to NY, I want to be separate from it with 2 little ones. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 AM

102 posts, read 162,373 times
Yeah you don't really want to raise 2 little ones in Mpls. Golden Valley is a fine city, located just outside the limits on the west side, it's easy access in and out of Mpls if you have to work down here.

St. Louis Park (just south) is also a decent city, but has it's iffy parts. Plymouth was rated one of the #1 cities in the nation for quality of living, that's right near by and you might check that out too. Lots of options, and I hope you make the transition well...best of luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I promise, I won't get into the suburb versus city debate that so often seems to go on these boards, but for what it's worth I wouldn't totally rule out Minneapolis if you can find something in a nice neighborhood. Many city neighborhoods have lower crime rates than neighborhoods in the suburbs. I think you'll find in general that much of Minneapolis looks like what you'd think of as suburban in cities like NYC. In other words, I wouldn't cut out possibilities because of preconceived notions of what the "city" is like versus the "suburbs."

I like Golden Valley and think it's a fine place if you can find something, but it's really not any different (especially safety-wise) from countless other areas across the Twin Cities, including the core cities. I don't know of any iffy parts in St. Louis Park, actually; not there aren't some areas I like better than others, but it's a nice inner suburb with great schools and a lot of amenities for kids. Richfield is another inner ring suburb that is a bit more affordable than some and might have something. Bloomington, too.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:23 AM

102 posts, read 162,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I promise, I won't get into the suburb versus city debate that so often seems to go on these boards, but for what it's worth I wouldn't totally rule out Minneapolis if you can find something in a nice neighborhood. Many city neighborhoods have lower crime rates than neighborhoods in the suburbs. I think you'll find in general that much of Minneapolis looks like what you'd think of as suburban in cities like NYC. In other words, I wouldn't cut out possibilities because of preconceived notions of what the "city" is like versus the "suburbs."

I like Golden Valley and think it's a fine place if you can find something, but it's really not any different (especially safety-wise) from countless other areas across the Twin Cities, including the core cities. I don't know of any iffy parts in St. Louis Park, actually; not there aren't some areas I like better than others, but it's a nice inner suburb with great schools and a lot of amenities for kids. Richfield is another inner ring suburb that is a bit more affordable than some and might have something. Bloomington, too.
Well, you make a valid point and I am more country than a lot of folks. I don't like the city...but, with regards to section 8 housing, and this is not a sleight against anyone who it doesn't apply to including the OP, but I would NOT want to raise my kids in the city, in sec. 8 housing. It's just the nature of things. I don't have any #'s in front of me, but I would almost bet, statistically, that there are more 'issues' with inner-city public housing than suburbs. I know that comes off as elitist, but I feel it is fact and I come from that side of life. Apologies if that's offensive to anyone. Poor does not = criminals, but it's a fact that poverty attracts all sorts of social issues.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM

249 posts, read 503,967 times
Section 8 vouchers don't have a set value but rather are based on your income and the rent amount, with a ceiling of how much the program will pay, of course. So your $790 in New York may not be as much in Minnesota. With that being said, people have said there is often a city vs. suburb debate on this site but I can tell you as a resident of Saint Paul for 20 years there are magnificent neighborhoods in the city as I am a product of one. The only drawback you have as a Section 8 recipient is that in the nicest neighborhoods the children usually go to private school because the public schools leave much to be desired.

The entire Southwest side, Loring park, and River Road are nice areas in MPLS. In Saint Paul, nice neighborhoods include Crocus Hill and Macalester-Groveland, and Highland Park. Rents are higher in these neighborhoods than the rest of the city as a whole because they are so nice.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 PM

Thanks so much. The voucher I received is actually $1275 in NY, and in MN, it is $790, so hopefully I can find a safe, decent place with that. I do need and appreciate your honesty, gtrguy. For I have seen some city places in NY, where "I" cannot live much less raise children. I will research a bit in Golden Valley, and Richfield now. I want to ask a sort of silly question. Is there any great difference between "well water" and "surface water". I only know about NY surface water which is generally ok. I didn't do any research in Plymouth because they use well water, and I had not a clue whether that was good or bad. I know you have the largest fresh water lake in the WORLD and that's super. I actually spoke with Golden Valley Police Dept, and they said that the crime is not that bad (only 3 robberies for the year, and most vehicle crimes were in open parking lots, also that Golden Valley was actually the safest among New Hope and Crystal, and they were sincere, sensing my concern). You are blessed in Minnesota. I have had my fill of hearing of crime in NY. It spoils the beauty of any city. Almost all of my friends have moved away. I know it's my turn. I have the feeling I'm picking the best state in the US to live. Thanks so much again.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,158 times
Some cities (in particular Minneapolis) get their water from the Mississippi, while others (most of the suburbs) have their own wells/water towers. The well water tends to have a "cleaner" taste. I live in Minneapolis and I use a Brita pitcher for drinking water because the tap water has kind of an iron aftertaste.

FYI, some of the apartment complexes in Richfield aren't that great, particularly those close to the freeways that border the north and south ends of the city. Nothing on the level of murders, but there tends to be a good amount of drug dealing, car theft, etc.

The "Crossroads at Penn" buildings (right across from the Best Buy headquarters) are particularly bad. A friend of mine lived there and the hallways always stunk of bad weed, wannabe gangsters would try to hassle me for money, etc. I never really feared for my safety, but it's definitely the sort of place that I wouldn't want to have kids in.

Also, are you going to have a car? If not, Plymouth might not work for you. The bus service in the suburbs can be spotty, especially at night or on weekends.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truewritr123 View Post
First time writer , hi. I am relocating from NY to MN, and will adopt 2 toddlers. I have a Section 8 Voucher for $790.00. I hope I can find a two bedrm apt in a decent suburb. Section 8 Voucher holders are not usually the best tennants, because some have been to jail or take drugs. HONESTLY! However since 911 in NY, lots of decent, law abiding folk had to apply for help as jobs were lost. I am one of those, and it is very difficult to even get an appointment with landlords, as they become scared when they hear "Section 8" in NY. The property I live in now is being forclosed on! Any Ideas? How about Golden Valley? I think I am being wise to avoid Minneapolis city, because, although the crime may not be compared to NY, I want to be separate from it with 2 little ones. Thanks a lot.

It might be difficult finding affordable housing in places like Golden Valley or nearby towns like Wayzata, Saint Louis Park or Minnetonka. If you want a New York analog think Westchester County or the North Shore of Long Island (aka the Gold Coast). The movers and shakers with money drive home in their BMWs, Mercedes or Lexsuses along Hiway 12 from a busy day at the office to places like Golden Valley. Minnesota is a kind of white bread sort of place with relatively little racial diversity and they kinda like it that way.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I would agree that there are some undesirable apartment buildings in Richfield (probably all the other suburbs with any affordable housing too, though); I wouldn't rent anything anywhere (meaning: any city or suburb) sight-unseen. I do know people who have rented apartments in Richfield and have been quite happy, so there are some affordable, safe, decent options in nice locations out there, too. Is $790 your upper limit, or is that just the portion that they're covering? I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if you add in some additional money on top of that you might be able to rent a duplex with access to a yard in somewhere like Richfield or Golden Valley. (and I wouldn't put Golden Valley in a Westchester County or Minnetonka category by any means; it's pretty middle-class for the most part). Robbinsdale would be another option with potential lower cost of living that's out that direction (by Golden Valley, I mean). It's fairly affordable and my impression is that it's pretty family-friendly.

Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Thanks again. I am so glad for all the responses I received. I will use a Brita filter. I visited Minneap/St. Paul for only 1 day. A Real Estate agent was going to show me some properties, but I decided to use Public Transport, all day, to see what a Real Estate agent MAY not show me (a little New York smarts); I will need to commute to the Minneapolis, driving, but will need to be familiar first. I was very concerned about the ALMOST FULL bus of HOMELESS persons (the number 16), which runs to and from St. Paul through to the Metro Dome. Then I took the light rail to the Mall of America and downtown. When I returned to NY, I called up the Real Estate agents, They said that they do places to offer me in Golden Valley, and they seem to know all about the Section 8 vouchers. Remax and another agent said Golden Valley has apts within the limit of the value of it (voucher). I'm also glad I got the hang of using the forum. A very handy and helpful resource. Many, many thanks.

Last edited by truewritr123; 03-20-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota