Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please rate the fresh water fishing in Minnesota
Very Poor 0 0%
Not real good 1 4.00%
Average 1 4.00%
Good 9 36.00%
Outstanding 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,167,411 times

Advertisements

It's looper's as in Kamloops not Luper's

rainbow trout strains.

Kamloops, a strain of rainbow trout from the Pacific Northwest introduced into Lake Superior 25 years ago.
Identification: Stocky silvery body with a dull steel-blue to olive-green back. There is also heavy black spotting throughout the head, back, sides, adipose fin & tail. Iridescent pink to reddish band extends from the head to the tail along the lateral line. White mouth & gums with well-developed teeth on the upper jaw & back of the tongue. Anal fin has 10-12 rays.
kamaloops are Rainbow trout FROM of the interior of British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest are of the redband group
(Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri ).

Kamaloops are not stealhead. When in close proximity, Kamloops and steelhead will interbreed and create hybrid juveniles in the wild. we are actually concerned about them breeding with the local stealhead.
Kamaloop is actually a city in BC.

Like salmon, steelhead trout are andromous : they return to their original hatching ground to spawn . Similar to Atlantic salmon but unlike their Pacific Oncorhynchus salmonid kin.

Maybe someday
Will the MNDNR ever allow harvest of wild steelhead? As the rehabilitation process proceeds and adult steelhead abundance increases, we will consider relaxing restrictive harvest regulations on a group of streams that would be monitored extensively to determine how angling pressure and the steelhead populations respond. Based on what is learned from this experimental approach we would develop and discuss new, less restrictive regulations with interested anglers.

MN fishing, Average.
The streams along the north shore are all but dead if there is not a run in progress,
few brows or brook trout to be had, your better off fishing the Wi streams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
fishing for Steelhead also kown as Lupers.

Last edited by snofarmer; 08-29-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Hello all, I ended up doing a fishing trip to MN earlier this month. I just got through updating another thread with a report from that vacation, which was really nice and based on my first MN fishing experience, I would say the fishing is "good" to "outstanding." We were at a medium sized lake in the Aitkin area. Spent about five days there and had a nice experience. We caught a variety of fish, including nize sized walleye, bass and pike. Also lots of tiny fish, including some tiny bass and walleye that were about the size of Rapala's.

We only fished during the day. No early morning fishing and no nighttime fishing. The daytime fishing was kind of slow sometimes, but made up for it when we hooked into the larger fish.

Highlights were:
* 27" pike
* three 20" walleye
* 4lb largemouth bass
* bunch of large fish of unknown type that got away and never got the chance to see them
* several large perch

additionally, of course, were some medium sized and smaller fish.
thanks for reporting back to us, sounds like you did quite well for yourselves.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:15 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,880 times
It's the only place I know so I think it's great. I've caught nice Bass, Northern, Muskie, and the occasional Walleye and so forth. I caught a 6lb Large Mouth in the creek over here that connects to Phalen and Round here in St. Paul. Twas a HUGE fish to find in the city, I think. I've also caught some nice Northern in there as well.

Local favorites include White Bear Lake and Forest, the former of which a friend of mine when a kid had a cabin and we would go up there and fish off the dock. Always great great fishing on Forest. Bald Eagle as well.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM

434 posts, read 552,224 times
Is this opposed to the salt water fishing in Minnesota?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Is this opposed to the salt water fishing in Minnesota?
Are the great lakes considered fresh water?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM

434 posts, read 552,224 times
Quote:
Yes

Old 09-04-2012, 06:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,016 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Even though they're connected to the sea via the St. Lawrence Seaway, the Great Lakes are all fresh water.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Seriously?
Yeah. Seriously. It's not "brackish" water? I thought they were brackish rather than fresh water.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Yeah. Seriously. It's not "brackish" water? I thought they were brackish rather than fresh water.
Lake Superior does tend to get a bit cheddary where it touches Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota