Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 4,875 times

Advertisements

Ok we are moving from sunny southern Cali to MN, just tired of the whole sun and beach thing and ready for a change in weather. We are both professionals am in Hi-Tech and my wife is an RN. Our baby is too young so schools at this stage are of no real concern we just want an area with a decent living standards, low crimes, more jobs, etc,...

Where would you suggest, southern or northern MN, oh I forgot to mention we have relatives near Eagan who want us to move close to them and am not sure if the area offers what we are looking for.

Greatly appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
There are great places all over the state. Can you be a little more specific as to what you are looking for, what type of community-small town, suburbs, urban, etc. Eagan and the surrounding area is a fantastic place to live. I would start, though, by finding a job because you don't want to end up with an hour commute if you don't have to.

Finding a nursing position won't be much of an issue. Can you be a little more specific as to what you do and then we can recommend some companies/areas to search.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 AM

336 posts, read 927,290 times
Are you planning to rent? Definitely find a job first before moving. I have to ask- have you actually been to Minnesota in the winter? You could still have a change in seasons without moving to one of the coldest areas in the nation. I just know my Southern California friends would not want to get through a winter here. If you are in a high-tech job, you are going to want to live near or in the twin-cities I imagine.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 AM

429 posts, read 1,148,035 times
I grew up in California, then moved to Minnesota. After much trial and error, I found that Woodbury was culturally the most comfortable fit. Some of the older cities have a deeply entrenched Minnesotan style ---not that there's anything wrong with that; it just may not be a good fit for someone who's just moved here from the coast.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I echo the others: what are you looking for in a community?

And while the winters can be brutal, most people get used to it. The switch from year-round indoor-outdoor living to seasonal living can be a big transition, though.

I also assume you will want to be in or near the Twin Cities for job reasons, although as to where specifically will depend on your personal tastes.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,875 times
Thanks guys for the quick reply. For job hunting reasons we want to be close to the Twin Cities area but not in it. I work as a network technician for a company here in SoCali, however, its time to move on to another career am simply burnt out and ready for a change so I have a background in sales, credit, collections and open to other job possibilities, wife has experience in her healthcare field of course the pay is less tha CA but the living cost is lower in MN than SoCali heck I can support two mortgages with what am paying in rent and utilities alone every month. We love it here where else can you wear shorts Nov-April? The beaches are beautiful, the way of life in SoCali is second to none if you can afford it. The other ugly side to this otherwise perfect place number one is the cost of owning home is almost impossible unless you make 100k each, rent is not far behind a decent apartment in a low crime area not too far from the coast are unbelievable add the highest state sales tax in the nation, local county tax, city tax, dont get me wrong I dont mind paying taxes as long I see the results with my own eyes here it seems we are throwing money at a hungry bear who gets hungrier with each bite.

We've been to MN before just not in the winter so have no idea what winters are like there except for the whining relatives who come to visit us here and go on and on about how good we got it SoCali. We have discussed this and agreed that if other humans can live there year round so can we, warm cloths and heat should take care of us this is a small down payment in return for other benefits that come from living in a place voted best places to live few times in the last decades. No jobs lines up yet, will keep looking if all else fails we willing to use our emergency fund to finance the move and sustain us for at least six months is this realistic?

Other areas I seek info on are Chanhassan and Plymouth.

Thanks again

Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 PM

Both Plymouth & Chanhassen are larger suburbs, nice, middle/upper class. Southwest Plymouth is more affluent than the North/east side. They are safe cities with a lot of ammenities, good schools. I don't know Eagan well, but I think it might be a bit more affordable? Perhaps others will know. Really, it would depend on where you get a job & how far you want to drive.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM

I forgot to mention- Minnesota schools have excellent programs called ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education). They hold parent/ child classes for infant through preschool. Great way to get involved with your community, meet other parents & get familiar with the school district a bit.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM

13 posts, read 26,292 times
We live near Plymouth and that is a good area to live in. We actually live in Medina and Orono schools which are good and small for the future. Convenient to much and where we live is still country but close to shopping and Mpls. We are actually wanting to move back to Texas even tho we are from here as cost of living less and like the weather. If looking for a home with 4 acres let us know. It is for sale. Plymouth is a nice area and good place to raise family. I personally like the western metro area.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 PM

13 posts, read 26,292 times
Yes, ECFE great way to meet moms with children. That is what I did and the moms have been friends for over 17 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota