Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 AM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how I can find any information about a local arrest?

We live in a very quiet, nice neighborhood.
Yesterday morning, my 8 year old was playing in the front yard when a big man with a battering ram, told her to go inside her house.
Behind him, came running over 10 to 12 police officers with vests and guns drawn, running across our yard, front and back to our neighbors house.
About 15 minutes later, they came dragging out our neighbors wife, handcuffed.
Mind you, this is a quiet neighborhood, and quite a few little kids around.
We've lived next to this neighbor for over 10 years. She has a really nice husband, she's a little mouthy, but, not in a million years would I have ever imagined something like this happening.

The officers were in her house for well over 2 hours, and outside going through her garbage.
I didn't see anything on the news.
I thought at first maybe she had done something to her husband, but, we saw him getting his mail last night.

So, how does a person find out information like this?
My 8 year old couldn't even sleep in her own bed last night.
This whole thing has scared her.
There were about 10 to 12 unmarked cars parked past our house all along the street, and about four more on the other side of our neighbors house, only one was marked.

Ordinarily only one officer comes to a house, but, 12, with guns raised.....
and a ram to break down the door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoReturn View Post
Does anyone know how I can find any information about a local arrest?

We live in a very quiet, nice neighborhood.
Yesterday morning, my 8 year old was playing in the front yard when a big man with a battering ram, told her to go inside her house.
Behind him, came running over 10 to 12 police officers with vests and guns drawn, running across our yard, front and back to our neighbors house.
About 15 minutes later, they came dragging out our neighbors wife, handcuffed.
Mind you, this is a quiet neighborhood, and quite a few little kids around.
We've lived next to this neighbor for over 10 years. She has a really nice husband, she's a little mouthy, but, not in a million years would I have ever imagined something like this happening.

The officers were in her house for well over 2 hours, and outside going through her garbage.
I didn't see anything on the news.
I thought at first maybe she had done something to her husband, but, we saw him getting his mail last night.

So, how does a person find out information like this?
My 8 year old couldn't even sleep in her own bed last night.
This whole thing has scared her.
There were about 10 to 12 unmarked cars parked past our house all along the street, and about four more on the other side of our neighbors house, only one was marked.

Ordinarily only one officer comes to a house, but, 12, with guns raised.....
and a ram to break down the door?
Howdy Idaho...first you need to go to your local Police Department and inquire. Go with the address of the house, the date and approximate time. In all likelihood, all you'll get is the I.C.R. number and type of incident as most information will not be public until the investigation is complete and charges are made. Depending on which county you live in (the county attorney's office will likely be drawing the charges) you may not be able to get any information until the case is adjudicated. If rams were used on the door, one could assume the crime involved evidence that is easily destroyed such as drugs, financial documents, etc., or there was probable cause that existed causing a Judge to sign what is known as a "no knock" warrant to ensure the safety of the officers and others in the area. Keep in mind, it isn't the cops that are the bad guys here. I know it must have been shocking to see for your child, but cops don't come by the dozen with a ram and guns drawn just for entertainment value or because they lack something better to do. There is no such thing as "ordinary" in police work, and normally there are very good reasons for such police presence and forcible entry such as you describe.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:34 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.
I called the County Jail yesterday, and she hadn't been before the judge at that time.
I asked him if he knew the charge, and he said, it was a Felony Theft.
I asked him did plain clothes officers in bullet proof vests, and a battering ram, normally come to arrest a person for Felony theft?
He said not usually. I told him that they went through her garbage, and were at the house for quite awhile. He thought perhaps, it could be drug involved.

It is rather shocking when you have been neighbors with someone for over 10 years and then, something like this happens.
My little girl is doing much better now, but, it was pretty scary when they told her to go inside, as they were running past her with guns drawn.

I also emailed one of the local news channels and he's looking into the other charges.
I am extremely concerned about the guns drawn, and aspect of some kind of danger within the neighborhood because there are small children present.
Apparantly, they had felt the need.

I'm not upset with the police one bit. They were doing their jobs, and I perfectly understand the necessity for everything that they did.
Basically, most of the neighbors were gone, and the neighbor children were at grandparents houses or off swimming. So, we were the only ones that were even aware that this had even happened.
The neighborhood was extremely quiet at the time.

I guess you never really know sometimes about your neighbors.

Thanks for your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Howdy Idaho...first you need to go to your local Police Department and inquire. Go with the address of the house, the date and approximate time. In all likelihood, all you'll get is the I.C.R. number and type of incident as most information will not be public until the investigation is complete and charges are made. Depending on which county you live in (the county attorney's office will likely be drawing the charges) you may not be able to get any information until the case is adjudicated. If rams were used on the door, one could assume the crime involved evidence that is easily destroyed such as drugs, financial documents, etc., or there was probable cause that existed causing a Judge to sign what is known as a "no knock" warrant to ensure the safety of the officers and others in the area. Keep in mind, it isn't the cops that are the bad guys here. I know it must have been shocking to see for your child, but cops don't come by the dozen with a ram and guns drawn just for entertainment value or because they lack something better to do. There is no such thing as "ordinary" in police work, and normally there are very good reasons for such police presence and forcible entry such as you describe.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:45 AM

5 posts, read 29,143 times
You didn't mention what city you were from, with a nick containing "Idaho", and a post in the Minnesota forum I can't even venture a guess :-).

I have been putting together a lot of various public information sources on crime incidents for my city, Rochester MN (and soon surrounding county) at Rochester Minnesota Crime Information, Maps, and Reports | RochesterCrime.org . It lets you map crime in a particular neighborhood, or for the entire city. It's your right to know whats going on, I hope you found the information you were looking for.

There arn't a lot of people out there plotting this information on websites yet, but hopefully the trend is more toward public awareness lately.

~ Nebb0r

Old 06-19-2007, 05:18 AM

6 posts, read 34,732 times
I am not sure what area of MN you live in but I lived in the suburbs for quite some time and became accustomed to the quiet life so to speak. I have now been forced to move to the city due to my education and my husband being the only one working at the moment. I have to say that the sort of situation you described would almost make me feel safe in the fact of knowing that the police presence is determined and has the time to do that sort of thing. If it is a smaller town I am assuming the PD has more funds and less things they need to focus on. I am in no way judging you for I was very naive before I moved to the city on how over extended the police department truly is. I hear screaming and gun shots about once a month and the police do not even come they are too busy.. So I guess I am trying to say be thankful you live in such a wonderful neighborhood and hopefully your neighbor turns out to be ok.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM

We live in Anoka County.
The reason for the Idaho nick, is because we are in process of moving back there.
With more and more people moving out this way, and the traffic starting to get pretty bad, we want to move back to where there are less people and less snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebb0r View Post
You didn't mention what city you were from, with a nick containing "Idaho", and a post in the Minnesota forum I can't even venture a guess :-).

I have been putting together a lot of various public information sources on crime incidents for my city, Rochester MN (and soon surrounding county) at Rochester Minnesota Crime Information, Maps, and Reports | RochesterCrime.org . It lets you map crime in a particular neighborhood, or for the entire city. It's your right to know whats going on, I hope you found the information you were looking for.

There arn't a lot of people out there plotting this information on websites yet, but hopefully the trend is more toward public awareness lately.

~ Nebb0r

Old 06-23-2007, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,043 times
Try this, I've used it................

Intelius People Search - Public Records, Background Checks & More.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: