Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
I never understood why people complain about being fired. Like they are entitled to a job. Employers don't care about you or your life as long as you just show up and get the job done with as little problems as possible. If you do, then you're gone, simple story.

This recession would be over by now if all these lazy people would get off the couch and go work. I have a job. I found a job in this recession and it wasn't hard at all. Of course you're not going to find a dream job in the best location with the best hours with the best boss, but just go to work and stop being a damn bum
Sure, a job checking groceries is pretty easy to get for someone but a REAL job that actually pays money that can support a family is very difficult to find. We have some friends that have been out of work for almost 2 years when their companies when out of business. They were upper level management and a $7/hour job just isn't going to cut it. The other problem is that yes, they can apply for a job that pays $50K/year when they were making $200K but they won't get considered for the position because they are over qualified. It isn't as easy as you make it out to seem when you are older then 20 and have some work experience behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Quit crying like everyother unemployed American and go find a damn job, it's not that hard.
Yes, it is. Making $10/hour will result in anyone who has an established family and related expenses spending 40 hours a week to be slowly evicted or foreclosed on.

That isn't a good long-term solution for anyone.

With the housing market the way it is (where houses aren't selling), the only way to make it out of that sort of situation is to walk away from the house.

I've been there, and I suspect you haven't. It sometimes isn't easy even in a moderate recession, and moderate this ain't.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:53 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I've been there, and I suspect you haven't. It sometimes isn't easy even in a moderate recession, and moderate this ain't.
No kidding.

Walk a mile and all that.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 AM

721 posts, read 2,610,320 times
Speaking from a management position and having testified at unemployment hearings, the unemployment judges (IMHO) typically rule in favor of the employee. I mean we fired people for sleeping, stealing, gross employment misconduct, and simple black and white rules such as not having a valid drivers license when the position required one. All of these cases the judge ruled in favor of the employee.

From what you are saying, I would fight the case. Give it a try.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 11,057 times
Quote:
Quit crying like everyother unemployed American and go find a damn job, it's not that hard.
Well Sir, I must take offense at your statement. Not everyone is able to walk out the door, and find a job immediately. May I ask what industry you are in? I'm in health care (LPN) and the one facility that I was working at kept cancelling my shifts. Since I was the "low man" on the totem pole, I was dismissed. I have over 23 years experience in nursing,and it took me over 3 months to find a full time gig. Please have some compassion for your fellow human being. Not everyone is as fortunate as you are!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yes, it is. Making $10/hour will result in anyone who has an established family and related expenses spending 40 hours a week to be slowly evicted or foreclosed on.

That isn't a good long-term solution for anyone.

With the housing market the way it is (where houses aren't selling), the only way to make it out of that sort of situation is to walk away from the house.

Ok, but I work in the biz, and can tell you I'm sick of the complaining.

"I can't afford my house, boo hoo, the value dropped $30,000 since 2005. Even though I bought it at an overly priced, overly valued amount when everything was puffed out in the late 90s. My mediocre mundane job just laid me off, and I just can't keep up with my payments (that ironically haven't changed) but I keep spendin' over $500 a month on worthless consumer goods"

Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyF View Post
Well Sir, I must take offense at your statement. Not everyone is able to walk out the door, and find a job immediately. May I ask what industry you are in? I'm in health care (LPN) and the one facility that I was working at kept cancelling my shifts. Since I was the "low man" on the totem pole, I was dismissed. I have over 23 years experience in nursing,and it took me over 3 months to find a full time gig. Please have some compassion for your fellow human being. Not everyone is as fortunate as you are!
I don't have time to be compassionate for others, dog-eat-dog is my motto.

I guess I have no idea what it's like. I guess I have no clue what it's like to have $0 to my name, no job and a 15 yr old car full of belongings, moving to a city where I know nobody, scamming to donate plasma 4 times a week and literally eating just ramen twice a day. I guess I didn't walk into places such as Ace Hardware, restaurants, and warehouses and ask to speak for managers to see if they had availability, while holding on to my bachelor's degree. I don't know what it's like to go door-to-door asking people if they need any help raking leaves or yard work for an extra buck, while renting a crap room in a house built in 1890.

Man I have no clue, ha.

I hate to be a cynic, but come on, this recession BS is bugging the heck out of me. I dont know what's worse, being in a profession for 23 years adn then losing your job, or working my butt off in college for four years to 'get a better career', only to graduate with a giant debt, and ZERO job offers, job openings or job prospects. I have handfuls of peers who are flipping burgers, folding sandwhiches and t-shirts with bachelor's degrees living in mom and dad's basement, driving 15 yr old cars. Oh yeah, not to mention being 26 yrs old. It sucks.

I hate to be mean or come off as an idiot, like I usually do on here, as I really do feel for the people that are struggling, but I care a little less, since I was border line poverty stricken for amost 6 months but my hard work paid off, and it truely will for you and everybody else, we just gotta keep our heads up.

My old man has been laid off 5 times in the past year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota