U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 06:42 PM

117 posts, read 332,559 times

Advertisements

Through this forum someone has lead me to seriously look into the SE Minnesota area for relocation purposes.

With my education and work experience I don't feel that finding a job in my field to at least get started as a Minnesota resident will be too hard. Of course, I plan on looking at making contacts first so I might even have a job to go to. (I already have a few good leads)

However, I don't know anyone in Minnesota and since a lot of places won't rent unless you've worked at your job first I might have to "camp out" for a short time until I find a place.

Just when does it start getting cold there? I mean, too cold to camp? I can handle night time temps being in the teens. (I don't like it, but I can handle it. ) But, I will also have a small dog with me so I don't want it too cold for him.

Might there be any other suggestions of a place I might be able to stay for a short time if the weather does get a bit cold before I find a place?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,208,348 times
You mean like right now? Pefect camping weather for the next 5/6 months.....After that just wear your longjohns

Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,150,640 times
It probably won't get too cold until sometime in mid to late October depending. It can get cold before October, but last year, we suffered through some of our highest temps in September.

If you can't find a place, the Salvation Army has a building here that I think has apartments. Not sure how it all works, though. But it's a good resource to look into for options.

I honestly don't think you should have too difficult of a time finding a place in Rochester before you get a job. There is everything from boarding houses to luxury condos for rent here. There are plenty of hotels that have weekly rates available too if it reaches that point.

If you are confident in finding a job based on what Rochester offers, I wouldn't worry too much about camping out for too long. Of course, camping out when it's cold will also all depend on when you plan to move here too.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:55 PM

39 posts, read 105,556 times
September is warm to hot in the beginning and progressively gets cooler. October starts out chilly, but by Halloween it is COLD. I grew up in Austin (45 mins west of Rochester), and I still don't have the skin to camp in the teens! But honestly, I have never heard of anyone having a hard time finding a place to rent if they had money. Southeast Minnesota is so small-town friendly I seriously doubt you will have to camp for any amount of time! I know of about a dozen drug addicts that have apartments. You'll be just fine.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM

256 posts, read 636,219 times
If you are comfortable camping when the temps get into the middle teens, you might be able to go longer, but I think that you could make it mid to late October. If you add the small dog in the equation, I would say that would probably be the latest I would try it. They seem like they get cold so easy. (Unless, of course, we have an unusually warm fall). Keep in mind, it is not out of the question for us to get snow in October, at least by Halloween. I spent many years as a kid with winter coats under my costumes. Sometimes it's still quite warm. Minnesota is kind of hard to predict.

I also have Rochester at the top of my list for relocating. It's a great city. Flipping through the visitor's guide, I found at least one place that allows for extended stay called Brentwood on Fifth. Whether it is expensive or any good, I don't know. But if you call and ask some of the hotels around there, I wouldn't be surprised if you could easily find one that offers weekly rates. I think with the Mayo Clinic, a lot of patients and family may need to stay for longer periods of time for treatments and such, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that offered often.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota