Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 PM

9 posts, read 109,324 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I am a Conservative republican/Pro-lifer from the north.
I am thinking of moving into the south
I have always hated living in the north, Because of my families heritage I have never felt like I belonged or fit in in the north Especially considering my views on the civil war (I don't care what anyone says, I side with the southerners...they could've figured out the slavery issue in their own time without the Union sticking it's nose in it). When I tell people I know that my ancestors fought on the South side, that my favorite General is Robert E. Lee they look at me with shock.
Some of my family came from the south, fought for the confederacy under the command of General Ehrle, and my Great Great Grandfather was decorated by Robert E. Lee.
My dad even has a Confederate battle flag that was given to him by his Great Grandfather. I am thinking of moving into the south where my great great Grandfather came from.
Someone told me that if I were to move into rural mississippi not to mention that I was from the north, they would not welcome me because they're still having issues about the civil war down there.
Is this true? Would I have any problems being accepted if I moved down south or even in rural areas of Mississippi just because I was born up north even though, I love the south and have been called a true southern at heart by a guy I know in Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,788,771 times
Ummmm, the Civil War was 140 years ago! There are a few closed minded, intolerant people that might still be hung up on it, but you will likely not find them. Rural people everywhere are leery of outsiders. It's natural. You may or may not ever fully fit in; that's depends on the area and the people there. The issues you mentioned are nonissues.

Frankly, your post causes me concern about your perception of southerners. You know there are a lot of liberal Democrat, pro-choice people living in the south, right? There are those of us who feel that slavery should have ended with the founding of the nation, not almost 100 years later. There are those of us who had ancestors fight for the north, who are glad the Union survived. The people you're talking to sound pretty ignorant to me. Why don't you plan a visit to MS and see for yourself?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,080,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg_fan22 View Post
Hi.
I have always hated living in the north, Because of my families heritage I have never felt like I belonged or fit in in the north Especially considering my views on the civil war (I don't care what anyone says, I side with the southerners...they could've figured out the slavery issue in their own time without the Union sticking it's nose in it). When I tell people I know that my ancestors fought on the South side, that my favorite General is Robert E. Lee they look at me with shock.
Some of my family came from the south, fought for the confederacy under the command of General Ehrle, and my Great Great Grandfather was decorated by Robert E. Lee.
My dad even has a Confederate battle flag that was given to him by his Great Grandfather. I am thinking of moving into the south where my great great Grandfather came from.
Someone told me that if I were to move into rural mississippi not to mention that I was from the north, they would not welcome me because they're still having issues about the civil war down there.
Is this true? Would I have any problems being accepted if I moved down south or even in rural areas of Mississippi just because I was born up north even though, I love the south and have been called a true southern at heart by a guy I know in Alabama?
With all due respect--you sound a bit "hung up" on the Civil War yourself. Who cares whose ancestors fought for what? What you are is what is important. If your concern is that your northern heritage will be held against you and you are using the ancestor thing to prove your bona fides--it is not necessary. Be a good neighbor, a good citizen, and a hardworker and you will be respected.

Be humorous about your northern upbringing. After all, tell them " I got here as fast as I could"! (You may want to start out in less rural areas though--just to have a smoother transition because you won't be such an anomoly--and work your way into the hinterlands if that is your final destination.)

Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,642,619 times
I really don't think you want to move anywhere in Mississippi and tell them what you just told us in your post.
Your favorite gen, south would have figured out slavery all those goodies you just shared. It might come across the wrong way.
Most people in Mississippi aren't still fighting the civil war. You have a few who think President Johnson was the devil.
As Tama said just be a good neighbor. Most Mississippians are live and let live.
If you are northern and don't come across as looking down on them you might make some great friends here.
Remember you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM

I'd add to NWS's post - don't move anywhere and tell people what you told us in your post. It sounds very bad.

I polled several of my MS friends, and they were completely shocked over this post.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,574,362 times
I have to agree with everyone else here. Who cares who fought for what 140 years ago? Times change and people change with them.

Remember and learn from the past, but realize it is just that.... the past.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:51 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,740,450 times
Quote:
Hi.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,574,362 times
Quote:
When I tell people I know that my ancestors fought on the South side, that my favorite General is Robert E. Lee they look at me with shock.
I feel that the OP, considering the subject matter and post count, is possibly trolling. How does a conversation like that even start? I was born and raised in the deep south and I have never had that conversation or even though about who my favorite civil war general would be.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:19 PM

jhadorn, that's a good point. I actually never think that people are trolling. I guess I'm too trusting. Oh well. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:29 PM

30 posts, read 101,803 times
Yeah, I would call troll on that...

....but, in case it's a serious question.....seriously, never, ever mention that to anyone, please. I was born and reared in MS and my thoughts on the Civil War are this: ...it happened 140 years ago. If you were to mention your original post to anybody....well, anywhere... I would hope that you would receive the same shocked expressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
View detailed profiles of: