Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:30 PM

19 posts, read 106,061 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are thinking about relocating to the Memphis area and seeing as the house prices and schools look pretty good in Olive Branch and Southaven, we were contemplating getting a house down there.

The thing is that my wife and I are born and raised in NJ which is very egalitarian and secular, and not religious at all. We pretty much have a live and let live attitude.

My question is how bad are the religious fruits and nuts down in that area? Will my children (twins, age 3) be ok in a daycare or will they be subjected to indoctrination and brain washing?

What does a secular person who really wants nothing to do with religion do to protect his children from possible backlash? Or is that even a problem there? Perhaps people there are more tolerant than we think them to be up here in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,777 times
MY FRIENDS I PRAY THAT YOUR ATTIDTUDE ABOUT LIFE CHANGES IN THE NEAR FUTURE. tHE REASON MANY PEOPLE ARE MOVIUNG TO THE SOUTH IS BECAUSE PEOPLE DOWN HERE ARE FRIENDLIER THAN PEOPLE UP THERE. tHIS BEHAVIOR IS MAINLY BECAUSE OF THE RESPECT WE HAVE FOR gOD AND HIS DOMINION IN THE EARTH. BELIEVE ME, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT BE BRAINWASHED. THEY WILL BE DROWNED IN A SEE OF LOVE AND KNIDNESS. nOW IF YOU ARE HELL BENT ON LIVING A FRIVOLOUS LIFE I SUGGEST YOU STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE. BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT A CHANGE OF ATMOSPHERE AND A REFRESHING LOOK AT LIFE GIVE THE SOUTH A CHANCE AND LET GOD TRULLY LEAD YOU TO A BOUNTIFUL AND CHERRISHED LIFE.

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT

BROTHER SHERWYN

Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Default Wow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orleron View Post
Hello
My question is how bad are the religious fruits and nuts down in that area? Will my children (twins, age 3) be ok in a daycare or will they be subjected to indoctrination and brain washing?
?
You're really a piece of work. You're thinking of relocating to part of the bible belt (no. Mississippi) and you have the audacity to refer to "religious fruits and nuts", and "brainwashing."
Yeah, you're going to fit it real well with that mindset.
I'm not particularly religious, but you *really* come across as rude and arrogant. Please stay in NJ. That region of the country is perfect for you.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 AM

19 posts, read 106,061 times
Well I guess that answers my question!

There was no rudeness or arrogance intended, but I can definitely sense the difference in cultures.... such a statement would have never been interpreted negatively in a northeastern forum.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:01 AM

557 posts, read 1,675,354 times
Quote:
Hello,

What does a secular person who really wants nothing to do with religion do to protect his children from possible backlash? Or is that even a problem there? Perhaps people there are more tolerant than we think them to be up here in NJ?
I have lived in Mississippi for nearly 10 years and, although there are many churches here, most people seem to me to be tolerant; I would think that would especially be true in an area as populated as DeSoto County. Even though my religious belief is Christian, I don't go to church on Sunday, and nobody has ever hassled me over it. Since I moved here, Jehovah's Witnesses have visited my house twice, but they were not rude or pushy, and left when they realized I was not interested.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:11 PM

62 posts, read 253,990 times
Quote:
Hello,

We are thinking about relocating to the Memphis area and seeing as the house prices and schools look pretty good in Olive Branch and Southaven, we were contemplating getting a house down there.

The thing is that my wife and I are born and raised in NJ which is very egalitarian and secular, and not religious at all. We pretty much have a live and let live attitude.

Rarely went to church when I was a child(family finally quit) and it was well known by the majority of people in my school/town/whatever that I wasn't religious. No adults or their childen cared in the least and minded their own business more than most places. No inquisitions any longer. The Baptists have been tamed.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 AM

50 posts, read 50,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwyn71 View Post
MY FRIENDS I PRAY THAT YOUR ATTIDTUDE ABOUT LIFE CHANGES IN THE NEAR FUTURE. tHE REASON MANY PEOPLE ARE MOVIUNG TO THE SOUTH IS BECAUSE PEOPLE DOWN HERE ARE FRIENDLIER THAN PEOPLE UP THERE. tHIS BEHAVIOR IS MAINLY BECAUSE OF THE RESPECT WE HAVE FOR gOD AND HIS DOMINION IN THE EARTH. BELIEVE ME, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT BE BRAINWASHED. THEY WILL BE DROWNED IN A SEE OF LOVE AND KNIDNESS. nOW IF YOU ARE HELL BENT ON LIVING A FRIVOLOUS LIFE I SUGGEST YOU STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE. BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT A CHANGE OF ATMOSPHERE AND A REFRESHING LOOK AT LIFE GIVE THE SOUTH A CHANCE AND LET GOD TRULLY LEAD YOU TO A BOUNTIFUL AND CHERRISHED LIFE.

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT

BROTHER SHERWYN
To the OP:

"I PRAY THAT YOUR ATTIDTUDE ABOUT LIFE CHANGES IN THE NEAR FUTURE" and "Your child will be drowned in a sea of love" = you will not have a moment of peace from the religious fruits and nuts.

MS is well known for its hick Bible thumpers. I live in FL and it's almost as bad here in some places.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-05-2007 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM

12 posts, read 48,253 times
Now Pasco (for those that don't know, Pasco is a county in Fla., so why he's bumpin around on this board is beyond me), that's not very fair...Why, I had a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses visit me just the other day at my home in Aberdeen. Very pleasant, I invited them in, set them down in the parlor, got em some sweet tea, and asked them "Well, what do you want to talk about?" To which the elder of the two responded, "Gee wiz, I don't know. We've never gotten this far before."

Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM

50 posts, read 50,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00FXDL View Post
Now Pasco (for those that don't know, Pasco is a county in Fla., so why he's bumpin around on this board is beyond me), that's not very fair...Why, I had a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses visit me just the other day at my home in Aberdeen. Very pleasant, I invited them in, set them down in the parlor, got em some sweet tea, and asked them "Well, what do you want to talk about?" To which the elder of the two responded, "Gee wiz, I don't know. We've never gotten this far before."
I'm bumpin around on this board because my parents are from Mississippi. Just wanted to see what folks were talkin about.

I see you are also from Land O Lakes... why are you following me to the MS forums? lol

Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM

12 posts, read 48,253 times
In the process of moving to Mississippi...and I really do have a home there with a parlor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi