Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM

22 posts, read 59,076 times

Advertisements

I was looking at different apartment locations on Google Earth. Read some reviews. There was quite a mix of opinions on just about all I looked at.
If you live in or haved lived in an apartment in the Southaven area please give me an idea of which places to you are good. Maybe your top 5 or top 3.

The most important thing to me is a safe area. Decent size would be good. Not a little box of a place. Decent maintenance. Close to shopping areas.
It would be for my family. My husband and our 17 yr old as well as me.My husband and I are in our 40's so we aren't looking to move in somewhere where there are alot of young people but also don't want to live in an elderly type complex either.

Just curious what your opinions are here at the forum.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,897,679 times
I lived in Church Lake apartments 9 years ago right after moving here. I had family that lived in the Civic Center apartments 3 years ago. The CC apartments were a little nicer because they were newer. I wouldn't live in any complex north of Goodman road.

The age range in both complexes I have experience with varied widely. A bunch of pilots rented the unit next to ours so at any one time there would be two or three guys getting rest before going back to work. We had a young family across the hall. Even though both complexes are near the college, they don't attract the typical college crowd.

This is Southaven so you are never far from anything. Have you checked out the Southaven.org site?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 PM

Yes, I have been looking at southaven.org. Reading about utilities, cable, etc.....

I am glad you wrote about not going north of goodman. That's the kind of info I am looking for.
I can look up sites on the web. And look at sattelite photos but I am not really able to tell where a good or bad area is.

Thank you.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:25 AM

There is a nice looking apt complex north of Goodman on Airways but I know nothing about it.

I think that the two complexes I mentioned earlier are in the Desoto Central district if that makes a difference. All schools in the county are similar academically since they are under the same administration but Desoto Central High School isn't as competitive in sports as some others. Olive Branch is the football powerhouse.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM

I thought you said in the previous post to stay clear of anything north of Goodman.
I'll have to look up the complexes and see if there are any reviews.

My son is not into sports. He is more into music and computers. Are there a lot of kids in the high schools? Here I think the total for all 3 yrs was about 800. The population here is a little under 20,000 during the off season. It doubles during the winter.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 AM

Yes, I did say stay south of Goodman but check out the complex on Airways. It is very nice looking every time I drive by. It is near the hospital.

If he is in the band, Desoto Central High has won a statewide band competition.

Compared to my high school (85 graduates) and my wife's (13 graduates), these schools are enormous.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:26 AM

My son is in Show Choir, Chorus and is taking keyboard (musical) classes. I'm trying to talk him into musical theater/ drama classes.

Thanks for the info

Old 06-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Is show choir like that Glee show? I'm they have something like that. As far as individual music lessons, you can't find a better place than this area. I think every music store has multiple teachers associated with them. There are guitar players from nationally touring bands that give lessons during their down-time.

Even though I haven't been to there, there is a local theater working out of the Civic Center. I always see newspaper stories on the shows. Hernando High has an award winning group - http://www.desototimes.com/articles/...7350437034.txt

Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the link.
No it is not a Glee type group. They dress in tuxes and gowns for special performances. Mainly they go to different local places and perform. Not dancing or theatrics. I wish it ws more like Glee.
Its also good to hear about the teachers. He is doing really well with the keyboard. I know he would like to learn guitar.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,420,604 times
I think Olive Branch is nicer. But thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi