Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

I am going on a trip to your good state sometime next year, what would be some good places to see in Northern/Central MS? What should I expect of the people, drivers, historical sites and such?

I'm also a Civil War buff, so that might help.

DK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,109,361 times
If you are a civil war buff, Vicksburg should be your first destination. You should probably add Natchez for antebellum home and Oxford for college town ambiance.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
If you are a civil war buff, Vicksburg should be your first destination. You should probably add Natchez for antebellum home and Oxford for college town ambiance.
Vicksburg, Natchez, Oxford. Gotcha'. Any others? I remember there being a battle marker near Tupelo (Brice's Crossroads I think)

Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Corinth, MS - Corinth, Mississippi...History is Only Half Our Story!

Here's a map of MS Civil War cites. Mississippi American Civil War Map of State Battles

Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,564 times
Here's a good start for the Civil War history in Mississippi:
Mississippi American Civil War Map of State Battles

Edit:
Ha ha... that was a little odd peppermint! We must be twins.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
Great minds!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
I would say Tupelo. Go see Elvis birthplace/chapel/museum, Tupelo Automobile Museum which has a 1976 Lincoln Mark IV Elvis purchased for a friend and the check he purchased it with on display as well as the 1939 Plymouth Elvis family owned when they moved to Memphis, Tupelo National Battlefield, Tupelo Buffalo Park, Oren Dunn Museum, Natchez Trace, festivals and more.

Oxford is a good choice as well. See the Historic Square, Ole Miss, great local restaurants, William Faulkners home, festivals, and more. With students from 67 foriegn countries at Ole Miss, the town has some diversity.

The Gulf Coast used to be pretty awesome, but I haven't been there since Katrina hit. I think alot of the historic places have been destroyed. May still be worth a look.

Vicksburg, Natchez, Jackson, Hattiesburg, and the Delta, even though it's a poor area has a lot of musical as well as other history behind it, as well as some pretty good BBQ and tamales.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I would say Tupelo. Go see Elvis birthplace/chapel/museum, Tupelo Automobile Museum which has a 1976 Lincoln Mark IV Elvis purchased for a friend and the check he purchased it with on display as well as the 1939 Plymouth Elvis family owned when they moved to Memphis, Tupelo National Battlefield, Tupelo Buffalo Park, Oren Dunn Museum, Natchez Trace, festivals and more.

Oxford is a good choice as well. See the Historic Square, Ole Miss, great local restaurants, William Faulkners home, festivals, and more. With students from 67 foriegn countries at Ole Miss, the town has some diversity.

The Gulf Coast used to be pretty awesome, but I haven't been there since Katrina hit. I think alot of the historic places have been destroyed. May still be worth a look.

Vicksburg, Natchez, Jackson, Hattiesburg, and the Delta, even though it's a poor area has a lot of musical as well as other history behind it, as well as some pretty good BBQ and tamales.
Thank you for adding more potential places, I should also note that Jefferson Davis' home was in Biloxi, I think it was damaged but not destroyed by Katrina, any word on that?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:34 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Thank you for adding more potential places, I should also note that Jefferson Davis' home was in Biloxi, I think it was damaged but not destroyed by Katrina, any word on that?
It has been repaired and a new museum and library will begin construction on the grounds soon as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I am going on a trip to your good state sometime next year, what would be some good places to see in Northern/Central MS? What should I expect of the people, drivers, historical sites and such?

I'm also a Civil War buff, so that might help.

DK
Also visit okolona. Its a very small town that hasn't changes much since the civil war. It seems like the battle of Okolona just happened. Tupelo also had a civil war battle and is Elvis Presleys home time. Btw I'm related to Elvis.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi