Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM

43 posts, read 251,639 times

Advertisements

I lived in Pamama City Beach for most of my life, but got tired of all the spring breakers and partying! We moved to Beaufort, SC, which is a charming small town, but very expensive in the housing market. We want very badly to get back to the gulf coast, I miss it tremendously, so we have been looking at the coastal areas of Louisiana.
I get postive and negative feedback, so it is hard to decide between the cities there. I am unsure of the economy however, and would hate to move somewhere that we would be struggling, (my husband is a trim carpenter, I am currently a property manager).
I wondered if anyone had opnions on the comparisons of La and Ms's gulf coast? If we were to move to MS, where on the gulf coast would be best? What are your thoughts on the rebuilding since the storms? I am looking for that laid back small town, but still with the comforts of malls and such close by!
If you had a choice which state would you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,846 times
If you move off the 3 coastal counties, you would save a ton of $$$ on Ins.
stone co. is just 30min from Gulfport. Malls, Dr's., Fishing/Beachs Ect.
La. doesnt have a bunch of beachs. unless your looking for marsh and swamps.
IMHO

Old 06-19-2007, 09:17 PM

29 posts, read 155,799 times
There is so much reconstruction building going on here right now, I would say your husband should not have trouble finding work. Any of the Coastal towns have major construction going on from Ocean Springs, Biloxi, Gulfport, Long Beach, Pass Christian, Bay St.Louis, Diamondhead and Waveland. Lizana, Lyman, Saucier, Woolmarket, and Orange Grove are all small towns that are conviently located close to the beach front and I-10 and you will not have far to drive into town. I have lived in Louisiana (Slidell) and it was okay but home is always best.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:35 AM

Thanks to both responses, I have not been to either state, but this is a great starting point in my search!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 12,614 times
Smile Come To Gulfport The Best City On The Gulf Coast

You Should Consider Coming To Gulfport,ms We Have Plenty Of Areas To Offer. Some Very Nice Areas That Are Growing Are: The Lyman Community ,orangegrove , And The Duckworth Road Area. Those Are Some Good Reasonable Places To Move To On The Coast. Orange Grove Is The Area I Live In And Its Not To Close Or To Far From The Three Malls In Gulfport. We Are The Fastest Growing City On The Coast. And The Second Largest In The State, We Have ''emeril Lagasse'' New Restaurant That Just Open This Month. Mississippi Is A Better Choice For You (louisiana Citys: New Orleans,slidell, Baton Rouge All Have Very High Crime Rates. New Orleans Was Ranked The Murder Capital In The First Quarter Of This Year Please Please Please Choose Gulfport,ms!!!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM

Wow, this is great information, I have been on the LA forum and this one, and I have gotten much more positive response on this one! The only thing that had me going toward La more is the housing cost, we will need to rent for a while when we 1st move, and have found very reasonable rentals in La. We have to have a house, there is no question, so that always narrows our choices. Would you know about the rental market around Gulfport?
How about housing cost when we decide to buy? We ultimately want an older home, something we can work on and restore over time. Are there places like that in this area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james g.p.t View Post
You Should Consider Coming To Gulfport,ms We Have Plenty Of Areas To Offer. Some Very Nice Areas That Are Growing Are: The Lyman Community ,orangegrove , And The Duckworth Road Area. Those Are Some Good Reasonable Places To Move To On The Coast. Orange Grove Is The Area I Live In And Its Not To Close Or To Far From The Three Malls In Gulfport. We Are The Fastest Growing City On The Coast. And The Second Largest In The State, We Have ''emeril Lagasse'' New Restaurant That Just Open This Month. Mississippi Is A Better Choice For You (louisiana Citys: New Orleans,slidell, Baton Rouge All Have Very High Crime Rates. New Orleans Was Ranked The Murder Capital In The First Quarter Of This Year Please Please Please Choose Gulfport,ms!!!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 12,398 times
Hi.I live in New Orleans area and want to give you a little info I know. My mom is from Waveland,MS and I grew up going to Waveland for summers to our camp there which got blown away in Katrina. I really love the MS gulf coast area. Please just do your homework regarding flooding if choosing S.E. La. Most all smaller towns in Southeast LA are low lying and Katrina would have put water in your house. Insurance(home) has tripled in NO areas. Mine went from 550 to 1550/yr.and I am very high in elevation. Others I work with went from 1200 to 3000/yr. I would look at SW rather than SE Louisiana. Mabye around Lake Charles or Lafayette areas but in the suburbs with more country feel. Metairie and other suburbs of N.O. are fine but we are a big city and you will not get that small town feel like the MS gulf coast areas. Drop me a reply if you have any NO area questions.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:18 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie88 View Post
I lived in Pamama City Beach for most of my life, but got tired of all the spring breakers and partying! We moved to Beaufort, SC, which is a charming small town, but very expensive in the housing market. We want very badly to get back to the gulf coast, I miss it tremendously, so we have been looking at the coastal areas of Louisiana.
I get postive and negative feedback, so it is hard to decide between the cities there. I am unsure of the economy however, and would hate to move somewhere that we would be struggling, (my husband is a trim carpenter, I am currently a property manager).
I wondered if anyone had opnions on the comparisons of La and Ms's gulf coast? If we were to move to MS, where on the gulf coast would be best? What are your thoughts on the rebuilding since the storms? I am looking for that laid back small town, but still with the comforts of malls and such close by!
If you had a choice which state would you move to?
The Mississippi coast seems to be coming back well and will likely be better than ever a decade from now. Louisiana doesn't really have much of a coast. It just goes from land to swamp to ocean. What little coastline it does have is very difficult to access and doesn't have much population. Be ready to pay higher insurance premiums to live on the coast, especially if you are close to the water.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM

17 posts, read 110,493 times
Mississippi Coastal residents tend to be a lot friendlier than Louisiana. Take it from me, I have lived in both places. The Cajun culture is very stand offish to accepting new residents.... and forget the warmness or the South you are used to.... South Louisiana is a WHOLE different country compared to the rest of the Southeast US as a whole. Wonderful food is one positive aspect of S. LA. however!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoIStayOrDoIGo View Post
Mississippi Coastal residents tend to be a lot friendlier than Louisiana. Take it from me, I have lived in both places. The Cajun culture is very stand offish to accepting new residents.... and forget the warmness or the South you are used to.... South Louisiana is a WHOLE different country compared to the rest of the Southeast US as a whole. Wonderful food is one positive aspect of S. LA. however!!!
The people in South Louisiana are some of the warmest, down-to-earth, and most hospital people I've ever met. They might be the friendliest people in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi