U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:03 PM

46 posts, read 204,176 times

Advertisements

My husband has a fly-in interview for a job in MS. We can live anyplace we want. We're checking out DeSoto County, Madison and Hattiesburg in a whirlwind long weekend tour. Is there any other places we should take the time to check out? We want the best fit and want to make a good decision on the best place to live for our family.

If you haven't read my other posts, we're a family of 5. Our boys are BIG into baseball and my daughter is a gymnast/swimmer. My hubby is an avid outdoorsman, hunting and bass fishing. I'm looking to finish college, but a town with a college is absolutely lowest on our priority list.

I look forward to your replies and travelling MS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 05:21 PM

442 posts, read 1,995,772 times
I still say Madison/Ridgeland is your best choice for everything you are looking for, especially for the kids. For you, a degree from Millsaps or Mississippi College will land you any job you want. Employers go for those schools over MS State, Ole Miss and Southern.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,777,958 times
Good Luck, WifeRN. Let us know what you decide!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM

I have never been there and can't tell you a thing about it. However, I have heard that the Tupelo area is progressive and vibrant. If you are traveling nearby, you might want to take a peek at it.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 PM

I was thinking about mentioning Tupelo. Tupelo is a nice place, but NE MS has more tornadoes and bad weather than the rest of the state, minus the coast with the hurricane potential.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:35 AM

Wifern-If you are checking the site while on the whirlwind tour-The Sunday paper in Hattiesburg has a pullout section for newcomers with bunch of info. Hope it is going well! LOL! Also forgot to give you this site since you mentioned Hattiesburg is on the list Hattiesburg Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM

130 posts, read 123,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
I was thinking about mentioning Tupelo. Tupelo is a nice place, but NE MS has more tornadoes and bad weather than the rest of the state, minus the coast with the hurricane potential.
Actually, Tupelo has no more adverse weather than any other part of the state. If anything around Jackson, Ms it seems they always have tornado warnings when those systems roll out of Texas and the Tupelo, Ms area gets nothing.
I would look into Oxford and Tupelo and i would not live in any other area of Mississippi.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:48 PM

46 posts, read 204,176 times
Default Proud, why do u say that...

Why would you say only Oxford or Tupelo? What do you love so much about those 2 towns? Or is it you dislike the rest of MS?? Just curious... I didnt put either of those towns in my whirlwind tour but i definately will now.
Thanks!

PS Other posters have mentioned looking for the old south small town feel, I'd like that too. Do you feel that in either Oxford or Tupelo?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:19 PM

6 posts, read 25,419 times
madison would offer more than hattiesburg. hattiesburg is a great place to live(safe,college town...) however if you are in Madison you are nearby Jackson, Ridgeland... I think Madison/Ridgeland can offer far more in the way of medical services, sports (MS Braves, little leagues,swim teams),colleges(MC,Belhaven, Hinds CC)

Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 PM

Madison will give you that small southern town feel, but the advantage is that it is in the Jackson Metro area will access to medical services, sports, colleges, etc., as mentioned by carolynmc20. Tupelo is mostly a manufacturing area with lots of plants and industry, like furniture manufacturing. I have family there, and they most definitely get more tornadoes than the Jackson area. All storms out of TX move NE which is right through Tupelo. In the Jackson area, it is Brandon that gets the brunt of all the storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi