U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 9,113 times

Advertisements

My wife has informed me that she may be transferred to work at the Stennis Space complex near Bay St. Louis in the next couple of years.

We have lived in Central Florida since 2001 (I was born and raised in Ohio and she was an Air Force brat) and had to have our house rebuilt from the hurricanes of 2004. We are a multi-cultural family as both of our daughters were adopted from China. I am concerned about moving to this area as we are unfamiliar with it except for commentary about Mississippi having lingering problems with race relations and people with more 'liberal' ideas about life and politics.

Basically, I am looking for information about the area in general as well as schools, where to live (and where not to live), the possibilities for my employment as a teacher (I teach high school English), and the general cost of living in this area as well as the benefits and risks of living in this area. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,767,019 times
The Coast has a wonderful quality of life. If you're working at Stennis, you chould live in neighboring Diamondhead, which is a large golf course community with nice middle class and some upper middle class homes, very appropriate for a family. Schooldigger.com has data on the schools which are Hancock County. I believe several thousand people live in the Diamondhead area.

Neighboring Pass Christian has the highest rated schools in the state. However, it's more of a historic community with mansions overlooking the beach, with one beautiful residential street (2nd street I think) that runs parallel to the beach highway for several miles and a smattering of new subdivisions (e.g. just north of the beach near the Long Beach line and the Oaks Golf Club which is just south of I-10 which is very high end).

Bay St. Louis is extremely charming. There are a few new subdivisions there but not a lot. For relatively new homes on this part of the Coast, they are mostly in Diamondhead.

The Coast is very diverse and known for being tolerant and somewhat libertarian. Lots of boating, fishing and outdoor activities, and otherwise people enjoying life.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,979 times
i spent 4 years in the bay and enjoyed it the folks there are very nice the beaches are clean and it is a multi - cultural area and is well on its way to being complete on the rebuilding from katrina old town is very nice small shops the folks there tend to there own biz and were always nice and helpful the streets and utilities are all new as well as many of the homes cost of living was a bit pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for its a short drive to NOL were you can catch a saints game or other event and many festivals all year in the bay as well as all across the coast line

Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,629 times
I work at Stennis and live in Waveland. I love Bay Saint Louis and am trying to move there, but Waveland is closer to Stennis. The Bay is friendly, with a large population of artists. Second Saturday of every month all the shops are open and bands are in the streets, and the merchants provide snacks and wine. The beaches in Bay and Waveland are great, with a two lane road running along the beach, and a long concrete walking/riding track. Stennis has two gates, and some people live in the Picayune, MS area, out the north gate. Probably the majority, however, live in Slidell, Mandeville, Covington, LA. So check those out. Mandeville/Covington is further from Stennis, but have lovely old town areas and are on Lake Ponchartrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi