Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 20,068 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family is thinking about relocating to DeSoto County from Virginia. We are about 20 minutes from Washington, DC and need a break. It's too populated and the traffic is awful. We have a 16 year old daugther and want a better quailty of life. We were looking at Olive Branch but have heard a few things about the crime starting to come from Memphis? Has anyone else in the areas of Olive Branch or Southaven had any problems? What areas to avoid. We will be looking for a new home @ 215,000-250,000. Any neighborhoolds you could suggest would be helpful. We are coming for out first visit later this week.

DB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 07:41 PM

78 posts, read 394,558 times
Most of Desoto County is safe with not a lot of crime but with 7 families a day moving in, the crime comes with it.
Hernando, the county seat, is probably the safest but has experienced tremendous growth, so I am sure there is more happening here.
Most of the houses now being built are in the $200K to $300K range. Even in my neighborhood of older houses, most are selling from $130K & up
Car tags are high but overall living expenses are reasonable

Old 08-27-2006, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 169,004 times
Is Horn Lake worth considering?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 PM

61 posts, read 276,998 times
Default DeSoto County

DeSoto County isn't nothing like DC as far as the population, but it is growing. It's amazing how much has developed in just hte past 13 years I have lived here. 3 Super Walmarts. Uhm, many new schools being built to accomodate for the growth. My mother's house, was 50 K or so when she purchased it and could probably sell for almost 85K or more, and that's in Horn Lake. Uhm, houses are being built more expensive than what I can see, based on per capita income, but it does keep the crime away that is related to poverity. Just makes it hard for someone like me, a part time teacher to buy a house. Yea, some crime exists, but that's expected with growth, but it nothing like Memphis where they are over 115 murders year to date in the city. The schools are one of the best in the state. The crime about Olive Branch in the recent news, the cop insicdent (spelling?) was the first time in Olive Branch history.

Tate County, south of DeSoto and Marshall County east of DeSoto are not as crowded yet, but probably will be soon. However, their schools aren't as great.

Why DeSoto County? Just wondering???

Old 09-03-2006, 08:19 AM

7 posts, read 28,359 times
Relocating to Desoto County, 3beesnva?

Desoto best place to live should be South of 302, East of I-55, West of 305, and North of 304. This area is included part of Southaven and Olive Branch. Most home are in R30 lot and ranging form 200K-500K, but you can easily find one for around 250K.
Why this area?
- This area is the best place to live in Desoto and not effected by Memphis's crowd and crime for at least ..sometimes (HW 302 is about a mile south of MS/TN border)
- This area included some of the best schools in Desoto and Mississippi
- Acre lot resident, show the best quality of life you can get here at Desoto (quite different between 1/4 acre lot and 3/4 acre lot)
- Highest household income in Desoto
- Within 30 minutes to Memphis airport, short drive to downtown Memphis.

I lived in San Jose, CA, Houston, TX, Philadelphia, PA and Maryland metro crowded cities before ...and don't want to go back there again.
BTW, I have to warn you. It's hard to find a movie theater or a hip-hop place to hang around here in the weekend. LOL
Good luck

Old 09-03-2006, 02:01 PM

17 posts, read 95,077 times
They are building a indoor golf course and indoor snow park in Tunica as well I hear.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Was looking at DeSoto Centall High School? I want some quiet but want to be close to shopping and etc. We just want a friendly and safe area for my daughter. Do you know anything about Hernando High?

Thanks,
Dina

Old 09-05-2006, 04:43 PM

Thanks! We're looking into houses that would go to DeSoto Central High School. One of them is in Snowden Grove? Some people have mentioned Hernando area do you have any comments for that area? I want some quiet but don't want to have to be far from shopping and conviences.

Thanks,
Dina
P.S. At least there's a Starbuck's.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM

17 posts, read 95,077 times
Hernando is about a suburb of Memphis. Id recommend it!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,680 times
Default I Love Desoto County Mississippi

We have lived in Nesbit for 8 years, one of my sons goes to Hernando High and my other son got put into Desoto Central Middle School this year due to the population growth. I recommend the Hernando area. Hernando is a quiet place to live and there is a Wal-Mart Supercenter there. There is other shopping in Southaven. People are friendly in Desoto County. My son that goes to Hernando High is also 16. Your daughter will make alot of friends in Hernando High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi