Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,382,713 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some advice here. I was traveling on my way to school this morning and I am driving on a 4 lane road. 2 lane in each direction separated by a median. As I am driving I see a school bus on the other side of the street in the far right lane. Just as I am about to drive by he pulls his stop-sign out and his red flashers.
Now, some background. I lived in WA-State and in cases like this, where I am traveling in the opposite direction as a the school buss, with 3 or more lanes and a median in between us, I do not have to stop for a school buss. This is my first time actually having to stop for a school buss and I happened to remember this specific law.
Well, as you probaby already guessed, I was pulled over by the police as I am passed the school buss. I was told by the officer that if I keeps breaking the law like this HE will arrest me.
I looked up MS state laws when I came home and their school buss laws are different the WA-State. How was I suppose to know that unless I was forced to take a driver license test when I moved here?

I was told I could contest the ticket but not sure if it any use. It was a honest mistake. I have no priors what so ever. I do not even exceed any speed-limits more then 5 mph.
Anyways, what kind of ticket can I expect here?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:04 AM

513 posts, read 893,084 times
unfortunately, ignorance of the law is no excuse in the eyes of the law. it is your responsibility to learn the law in your area. i am not picking on you, just pointing out how the law looks at it.

now, that being said i would go to court over it. if you explain it to the judge they MAY let you off with no moving violation. heck you may even get lucky and the cop not show up, if this happens you win automatically.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,838,188 times
If the sign was put out just as you were about to drive by, did you have time or distance to safely stop?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:50 PM

783 posts, read 2,250,527 times
Good luck with any of that. I'm no lawyer but I HAVE gone to court a few times and the "he didnt show up" part don't work - if the cop doesn't show up (this has happened to me) they will just reschedule the case. And when you DO get before the judge you're not at all likely to get "just a warning." Ticket fines are a stable source of revenue (just like prisoners) and no judge down is here darees be seen going easy on offenders. Easiest thing is to take the licks, pay the fine, and get on with it. If this is the first offense in a three year period all you have to do is attend (erm, and pass) a one night driving school and it will be wiped from your record. It's another 75 bucks but probably cheaper than the insurance will ding you if you don't.

Hey and look at this: when you've passed that driving school now you won't be making any more mistakes like this cuz you'll know the local laws... right?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Good luck with any of that. I'm no lawyer but I HAVE gone to court a few times and the "he didnt show up" part don't work - if the cop doesn't show up (this has happened to me) they will just reschedule the case. And when you DO get before the judge you're not at all likely to get "just a warning." Ticket fines are a stable source of revenue (just like prisoners) and no judge down is here darees be seen going easy on offenders. Easiest thing is to take the licks, pay the fine, and get on with it. If this is the first offense in a three year period all you have to do is attend (erm, and pass) a one night driving school and it will be wiped from your record. It's another 75 bucks but probably cheaper than the insurance will ding you if you don't.

Hey and look at this: when you've passed that driving school now you won't be making any more mistakes like this cuz you'll know the local laws... right?
Driving school? Really.Is that including my ticket that I will get?
Where in Mississippi do you live. Because I have never heard about this before. But if it will take it off my record I will do it.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 AM

783 posts, read 2,250,527 times
I live in Winona but I took driving school for an offense in Starkville. That was years ago so when I got a speeding ticket last year I signed up again but blew it off cuz I soon got another. Not that I was busting like a clock, but I drive a black Magnum with 20" rims so it's hard to get away with anything at all (or even nothing).

Mississippi Defensive Driving Traffic School Online

I would not count on that counting, but it might save you a trip to an actual class. I'd make sure to ask first if there's a money back warranty if the court refuses the certificate.

And no, the 75 bucks would be in addition to the ticket. I don't know how much the ticket might be, though I'd expect to shell out at least $250.

You might also want to check this:

School bus traffic stop laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 43,824 times
I would suggest obtaining your legal information from a source that is credible- not wikipedia.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,559,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post

I've had different experiences. I've went to court twice in the past 10 years for a minor traffic ticket, and neither time the officer showed up. The judge threw out the ticket. I would at least show up to plead your case. Worst that could happen is you'd end up paying the fine. Big deal...

Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,033,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm looking for some advice here. I was traveling on my way to school this morning and I am driving on a 4 lane road. 2 lane in each direction separated by a median. As I am driving I see a school bus on the other side of the street in the far right lane. Just as I am about to drive by he pulls his stop-sign out and his red flashers.
Now, some background. I lived in WA-State and in cases like this, where I am traveling in the opposite direction as a the school buss, with 3 or more lanes and a median in between us, I do not have to stop for a school buss. This is my first time actually having to stop for a school buss and I happened to remember this specific law.
Well, as you probaby already guessed, I was pulled over by the police as I am passed the school buss. I was told by the officer that if I keeps breaking the law like this HE will arrest me.
I looked up MS state laws when I came home and their school buss laws are different the WA-State. How was I suppose to know that unless I was forced to take a driver license test when I moved here?

I was told I could contest the ticket but not sure if it any use. It was a honest mistake. I have no priors what so ever. I do not even exceed any speed-limits more then 5 mph.
Anyways, what kind of ticket can I expect here?
Thanks
I don't know how it is in Mississippi. But here in Louisiana if you get a moving violation. Show up in court and plead no guilty. The DA will not want to fight it and they will reduce the charges to a non moving violation and collect a fine. I know, it's a freaking racket because all the AD wants is the money

busta

Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPKA View Post
I would suggest obtaining your legal information from a source that is credible- not wikipedia.
Wikipedia? Did you miss the part I mentioned I lived In WA State. What does Wikipedia have to do with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi