Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM

4 posts, read 26,577 times

Advertisements

As a yankee, transplanted to the great state of Ms. as a child of 9. Let me assure you that in all the years I've lived here NEVER have I suffered from the open, sincere and honest display of kindess or affection shown my family nor did we suffer because we were endlessly invited to attend local churches.
We also attended a private school, where unless the sound moral values and teachings of the "10 Commandments" offend you, then your children will feel right at home. We also attended the public schools and no harm was ever done.

My parents moved here full of hope and excitement and fear, not because they were afraid they would be asked what church they attended, but fear of where we would live, would it be a quiet community, what schools would my sister and I attend and would they be good schools. Invitations to church were comparable to being invited over to someones home for coffee or lemonaid on a hot summer afternoon. The church(s) are the social hub, especially in the smaller, rural communities. But I again, can tell you that they never pushed anything on us except assuring us that we were welcome in their community and looked forward to having us as an addition to their community.

In the small town I grew up in I am proud to say that I have attended each and every church in the community at one time or another by invitation. And only after I married and had a child of our own did I officially join the same church that my husband was a member of.

You have to help break the belief that "yankess" are all cold and heartless. I know that when I go back "north" (home) I unhappily notice the coldness and aloofness of the people passing on the street; compared to the openly friendly southerners. Here if you make eye contact with someone on the street it's not uncommon to wave, knod your head and say hello to perfect strangers. Up north (where I come from) to do that results in a look of fear and as a matter of fact I once had a lady grab her purse and quickly turn away from me as if I were going to mug her. My "southern born and raised" husband thinks it's hilarous (yet sad) that people should be so uptight and cold.

We would welcome you with open arms. But please try not to be so afraid that "OUR" ways will rub off on you or your children in such a negative way. You might find that as the years go by and your children grow in their respect and concern for others, similar to the ways in the south; they will make you very proud that you did move to the "Bible Belt".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 AM

376 posts, read 1,779,636 times
I'm Catholic, but I've attended many protestant churches in Mississippi on friends' invitations. I enjoy the variety, and I've never been pressured to join. And I've been privileged to eat some of the South's finest food at various dinners on the ground.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 28,166 times
It just amazes me to read all of these posts regarding the clash of cultures. I feel sorry for the people who have a warped and imagined since of the South. The majority of us are educated, polite, and welcome all with open arms. Of course no one and no place is perfect. God is center and key to most and there is nothing wrong with that. Just remember for all who have been looked down upon for their religious affiliation with a type of denomination. You tell them it is not a religion, but a relationship that matters. If you choose not to have a realtionship with God, then that is your choice, he gives us all the right to decide. I choose God, I know their is a God and I will not hide my relationship to make any Northern, Southern, etc... more comfortable. I have my beliefs you have yours.

I know about Desoto County, if you are moving here, No one is going to go out of there way to make you believe anything, the schools are top notch, people move here to put their children in our schools and no, they are not taught religion, or made to pray. The cities of Desoto County include, but are not limited to: Olive Branch, Southaven, Horn Lake, Nesbit, Walls, etc... Goodman Rd. which is a major rd. here connects Olive Branch, Southaven, Horn Lake, Walls, etc... You can be in one city and within minutes be in the next. My suggestion, if you are planning on relocating here come visit. Eat in the restaruants, visit the parks, go to the area Walmart. You can get a lot of information just from going to the area Walmart. Olive Branch, Southaven, and Hernando have one and believe me they all have a different feel and demographic shopping there. A lot of Memphians shop at the Southaven location due to our lower taxes. Be warned about Memphis, there is a lot of crime in the city. Some parts more than others. Check out the crime stats to see for yourself. Desoto County gets a lot pf people moving here to get away from Memphis. If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to help. Welcome to the South!!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:10 PM

314 posts, read 1,105,189 times
How do we have the honor of all these out-of-state people appearing on this forum?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,999 times
Please ignore the comments of Sherwyn and Mrkool. I completely agree with Magnoliastate. Southerners are nothing to be aftaid of, in fact, your children will be better people after being raised in kind down-home enviroment. I was born and raised in Grenada, MS and currently live in Starkville. At times religion will be pushed on you and your family. It is just part of it. At times you will not be "drowned in love" but hate because you do not believe in their version of the christian god which can normally be summarized by the southern baptists god. As long as you keep them in non-church affiliated day care and keep them out of private schools your children should be fine. I would not be suprised if their friends here are a little suprised when they find they are not consistanly feed bible stories but children can be more understanding then their parents. Olive Branch being a larger area will be slightly more liberal than the small towns in MS. Good Luck and hope this was helpful. I had to chime in after I realized that other post were shoving their views down your thoat before you even got here. Please, do not get me wrong. I moved away and came back. I would never leave the South. It has charm, and truely kind, caring people. Because their is limited diversity, except racial diversity, it shocks people when outsiders come in. Some of us are open-minded as well as good southerners.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 AM

35 posts, read 118,049 times
I'm 50 and lived in central Ms all my life. I love this state and there are some fantastic folks living here but I can't wait to leave it one day when older and grayer or balder... whichever comes first.

I don't like what I've seen happen to our cities and towns. A new mall will open somewhere and within 10 years it is dying. The young families vacate older established churches with nothing but the old folks hanging on because they have nowhere to go.

I'm sure this happens everywhere but it makes me cry to travel near where I grew up and I see low rent housing, trash strewn everywhere, and dogs running loose.

We still love God and our neighbors wherever they come from even if they don't feel the same but it is all changing.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
By now you've already moved here or not, liked it or not, and stayed or not. I hope that all has worked out well.

I want to add that as the wayward scion of one of the most prominent Baptist families in one of the most Baptist towns in Mississippi, our town is decidely un-secular. We do have prayer in public schools, and the town newspaper publishes the awards for the sports teams for the high school. One of the students is always chosen "Most Christ-Like." As we have a significant number of Sikh and Hindu families, I always wonder if a non-Christian student is eligible for those awards, and if chosen, would they accept?

My best friend's son, who is an ethnic Jew and an atheist by choice, was tormented on the playground in fifth grade after refusing to accept a New Testament when they were distributed in class. His teachers had to intervene after his classmates yelled at him that he was going to Hell because he didn't believe in Jesus. A mother I knew was glad to find that they pray in school and told me that "Jews and Hindus could just go somewhere else."

I find that many people who want to know the answer to the question "What church do you belong to?" are often more interested in pigeon-holing the respondent than in just breaking the ice. That, and if the person is the same denomination, recruiting them as a financial source for their megachurch. It is assumed that you will attend church, and those who are public with their secularism are frequently thought to be atheists or devil worshipers, as I know from my own experience.

This is a more extreme version of the religious climate in Mississippi, but it is very real. Particularly in small towns, there is no social life outside of the church. With the emphasis on the Bible and family values, transplants with a more liberal viewpoint may fee somewhat isolated.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
Our town here is ran by a Baptist and a Methodist, (what a mix) a town which bares the remark a place where people and progress meet. As for progress, I'd have to disagree! It is a nice town as far as some of the folks are concerned! But really no progress is going to be made with religious nuts running anything! Also here the school is laced with religion! So much for separation of church and state. Now I'm not bashing, just making some comments about this nutty little place that we live at currently!
I'm happy to see little Jesus name churches popping up here and there! Glad to see they are breaking off the mold of the UPC!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
How do we have the honor of all these out-of-state people appearing on this forum?
It's turned into a troll post, I am amused also at the number responses from newbies. Wish they didn't bring this 2 year old post up from the dead, the original OP is now most likely moved and laughing at here misconceptions, and now we have to suffer a new series of posts from the "Dukes of Hazard" and "Deliverence" watchers who've never even heard of Olive Branch, MS before.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,634 times
I'd just like to point out that "separation of church and state" is NOT what so many seem to believe it is. Even Jefferson never said there should be an outright ban on religion in state activities - indeed, if one reads his letters one will see that his point was this should be left as a matter of THE STATE and not the federal government. The thin edge that keeps prying into this argument is the matter of federal aid trickling through the state and into public schools; some seem to think that because a state gets any federal aid it should be required to hold the same community standards of those larger, wealthier states that actually provide those federal coffers - ie we in MS should tow the same rope as those in NJ or California simply because some of their tax money finds its way to our treasury... sorry, it just don't work that way.

If you have a problem with religious mingling in schools, there are plenty of districts where this is thoroughly frowned upon. Places like... Oh, I dunno, Maine? Oklahoma? Texas?

We have freedom to move and live where and how we choose and we have the power of free assembly and association. If you want to be a hindu living in rural MS I for one would welcome you, but I don't think you are going to find people very receptive if you move in believing that the community should conform to you and your beliefs. Life just don't work that way - never has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi