Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,998,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
and many whites also.
But the fact is that a Colonel doesn't have to mean that their slaveowners, a Colonel can mean something along the lines of a social standing, like Colonel Sanders. He is a southern Colonel and nobody has raised any problems about him.

Ole Miss has been using Colonel Reb since the 1930s, absolutely no human soul raised a large issue about it until the early 00s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,460,580 times
Here's what I don't understand. Instead of people being upset about the changes and people being offended by the symbolism, why not be upset with those who took the image and turned it from what ever it supposedly represents to the connotation that it has now. It definitely wasn't the people who dislike who made it into what it has come to represent. On the other hand from my observation, most of the people I see in support of it tend to have similar beliefs to the very people who "tarnished" the image.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:46 AM

783 posts, read 2,253,533 times
Exactly.

And for 5000 years the Swastika was a symbol of peace. Then along comes this jerk in Germany and ruins it for everyone.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 AM

4,996 posts, read 7,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Here's what I don't understand. Instead of people being upset about the changes and people being offended by the symbolism, why not be upset with those who took the image and turned it from what ever it supposedly represents to the connotation that it has now. It definitely wasn't the people who dislike who made it into what it has come to represent. On the other hand from my observation, most of the people I see in support of it tend to have similar beliefs to the very people who "tarnished" the image.
What could a Southern Colonel waving a Rebel battle flag represent? I know, many will say it's just a harmless mascot, but let's replace the Southern Colonel and his Rebel flag with Colonel Klink and his Nazi flag. Still just a mascot, still a Colonel and still a flag, but would be ridiculed world wide (justifiably so). Ole Miss has done the smart thing.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:16 AM

Since the thirties? Nu uh. Here's proof from a Clarion Ledger article almost a decade old.

Colonel not exactly a longtime tradition - The Clarion-Ledger (http://orig.clarionledger.com/news/0306/19/srick.html - broken link)

Old 10-17-2010, 09:41 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,416,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
What could a Southern Colonel waving a Rebel battle flag represent? I know, many will say it's just a harmless mascot, but let's replace the Southern Colonel and his Rebel flag with Colonel Klink and his Nazi flag. Still just a mascot, still a Colonel and still a flag, but would be ridiculed world wide (justifiably so). Ole Miss has done the smart thing.
You're wasting your breathe. They absolutely know what Colonel Reb represents, and they just don't care.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:42 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,884,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
You're wasting your breathe. They absolutely know what Colonel Reb represents, and they just don't care.
Well. It looks like the secret it out. Y'all figured it out. All the alum, students, fans,....everyone who in any way supported Ole Miss and/or any of the symbols associated with the school is in fact, a racist. And we tried so hard to keep it quiet.

All the black students on campus are in on it as well. They were all either forced to attend the school against their will, or are themselves racist.

Colonel Rebel is the Ole Miss mascot. That's it. Nothing more. If you honestly see Colonel Reb as a sign of racism in Mississippi, then you are either someone who is looking for something to be offended about or just plain dumb.

When we lived in Washington DC, there were folks upset about the Washington Redskins. They felt the term "Redskins" was "offensive" to Native Americans.

I think folks need to grow up. You do not have the right never to be offended. There are always going to be people in this world who do or say things that you don't like. Most rational people are able to ignore it. Unfortunately, groups like the NAACP, NOW, and now the Tea Party have made being "offended" into an art form.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM

What idiocy. No one has the right to "not be offended" but it doesn't make ECONOMIC SENSE to go around offending people.

Well, not unless you're part of FOX News.

Hey, look: here's yet another symbol of the old south parading around the field!

Lessee...
big ol' mustache: check
Big ol floppy hat: check
Tails and a tie: check
Rebel flag.... oops!
Dixie... oops!
Crowd chanting "the south will rise again!"... um, oops again

Anyone ever heard of context? The NV north/south college rivalry is almost a parody of what so many here seem to be taking way too seriously... perhaps even myself included. It's just a freaking mascot, and as one who faces graduating Ole Miss with a law degree, I'm glad to see him gone.

Here's what I don;t get: Mississippi HAS a well known "mascot" who was larger than life. OK so cow college has the bulldog, and Oklahoma has trhe sooners, but what about the Ole Miss HOUND DOGS? Yeesh, dress him in a sequin jumpsuit, give him a guitar and a big ol' pair of chrome sunglasses, and rock it out.

Last edited by poptones; 10-17-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
You mean the average Confederate infantryman had slaves? Do you think he really cared about those plantation owners and upper classes who did?

The Confederacy started out with the slaveholding issue but escalated into a war that brought the army of the North--and my great-great-grandpas were among that group-into the South and the volunteers were defending their farms and people. The bravery and the patriotism went beyond that original catalyst instigated by a few vested interests.

In other words, someone lit the brushfire for his own purposes but others put it out. Maybe they should have just surrendered and given up on any influence and interests they may have had because the slave interests started the mess.

So the Rebels were not a bunch of slaveowning monsters. The Old South had its warts but it had its good people and its cultural milieu that went beyond cotton. The baby gets thrown out with the bath water.

America as a whole has her warts too. Many of them--from discrimination to My Lai to support of oppressive regimes--do we deny the American flag or Uncle Sam?
My enslaved Black ancestors would beg to differ with this statement.

It never ceases to amaze me that those with Southern "rebel" ancestry fail to see beyond their personal viewpoint in regard to the brutality, inhumanity and beliefs of racial superiority that arose out of the existence of slavery in America.

The legacy of slavery was not just about who did or did not own a plantation with slaves....the justifications that were used to implement and function under slavery was based in taking away the humanity of people of African descent....to the point that people of African descent could drink out of the same water fountain or sit at the same lunch counter as White people.

Personally, I could care less about the mascot of Colonel Reb but DO NOT attempt to diminish the impact of the enslavement of Black people on this nation.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM

3,378 posts, read 4,998,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Don't even try comparing Confederates and Nazis, they are nothing alike. The Confederacy never once tried any sort of Genocide, the Nazis did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi