Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post
Harbor much hate for Ole Miss students do you? Love all your negative adjectives to lump the Ole Miss student and alumni base into
one giant cesspool. For someone that has never stepped foot on the campus, you sure are judgemental for an entire student base. Probably bitter because you grew up poor. Your entire post reeks of negative sterotypes that are simply not true. To use your words. Your post is too pathetic for words.
What you said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,881 times
Ignore cwaggy, he/she is nothing more than a troll.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb Supra...Is There Such A Thing As Double Ditto? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
What you said!
Because I read that post too, and, even though this thread is about Colonel Reb, mascots and school spirt have ALWAYS been a part of college life...I myself can't claim to be a college grad, but I'm sure not gonna sit here and shoot spitballs at those who did...

And then, to do it in the way that poster did, just reeked of arrogance and snarkiness...just another person who, frankly, needs to have a Coke and a smile and shut the **** up

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb Okay...Since You Feel That Way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
When I was a kid working retail, during my college years, I quickly learned that a Football crowd was a bunch of drunken losers, with no real money to spend. Huge time wasters, loitering, pretending to shop... The women were all dolled-up like hookers trying to work a business hotel, and the men were trying, I suppose, to look 'preppy'. Even to a dirt-poor kid like me, they looked threadbare and desperate. We dreaded having a 'game' in town, because we knew those people were messing up our sales.

And then I saw a 'game' on TV, and wondered what those stuffed animals, basically the same kind of thing poor people keep in the back windows of their cars....were dancing around on the field. How pathetic and tacky. They called them 'Mascots'. OH. Like they were all still in high school.

And then we moved to Jackson...for us, that was The Big City. And I discovered that there was a whole Ole Miss Crowd, who were reputed to think of themselves as superior (and somehow morally/ideologically/historically ascendant over) the rest of us. And when someone said that they saw the rest of us as barely human, I believed it. After all: for a century or so, if you wanted into one of the two big money professions, you had to go there. They were the only school around, for Medicine and Law.

They were the drinkers and the smokers, in an otherwise pretty wholesome town. They were the champions of 'Old Southern Culture', while the rest of us were trying to see how quickly we could move forward. They were building shrines to Colonial Williamsburg (their Holy Land), while the rest of us were looking to Tuscany, Provence, and Northern California. And they saw themselves as genteel intellectuals.

Frankly, the old mascot suited them to a tee. It really was a correct (and optimistic/aspirational) depiction of who they were, how they saw themselves, and how the rest of us saw them. Smug, anachronistic, aristocratic, privileged, exclusive, hedonistic, indolent, outdated, and irrelevant: that was what Colonel Reb was telling the world about 'Ole Miss'.

But maybe all that has actually changed. I'm told the school (where I've never set foot, because our kids refused to even consider going there) is now as desperately 'hip' as it once was 'genteel'.

But that Bear looks like the mascot for a public elementary school for the 'Special Children'. Mascots are tacky. But this goes beyond tacky, and into aesthetic territory usually reserved for Junior Colleges and publicly-funded daycare centers.

Too pathetic for words.
I'm sorry, but I was out of the office the day the Almighty anointed you as His earthly spokeswoman, thus I ask---exactly who do you think you are?

We're so sorry if the presence of mascots in this world interferes with your tee time, or your Botox appointment, but frankly, I sleep better at night knowing that nobody on a college campus anywhere gives a newborn baby pig's buck-naked a** about high-handed, arrogant dismissals of an entire group of people and their likes and dislikes...

And who are you to call anyone or anything pathetic? Do you routinely walk on water and feed 5000 people with a few fishes and a couple loaves of bread? No? Then, please, keep your pseudo-intellectual opinions in a safe place---to yourself...

I'm no saint, nor do I pretend to be an authority on things I've never done...this thread is about replacing Ole Miss's Colonel Reb with a new 'Balck Bear' mascot...NOT a place for you to get a stiff neck from looking down your nose at others who are different than you...whether yea or nay, there was a spirited back and forth going on, and I may have learned a thing or two about Southern lifestyle, heritage, and customs...

If you want to dump on colleges, their adult alumni, their mascots, etc, then that's your right, as this is a chat forum, and thus a place where ideas and opinions can be freely expressed...but know that there are those here who will not sit idly by while you throw peeled grapes at the rest of us 'unwashed' from your perch on Mt Olympus...in short, if you post BS, expect to get called on it

Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I'm sorry, but I was out of the office the day the Almighty anointed you as His earthly spokeswoman, thus I ask---exactly who do you think you are?

We're so sorry if the presence of mascots in this world interferes with your tee time, or your Botox appointment, but frankly, I sleep better at night knowing that nobody on a college campus anywhere gives a newborn baby pig's buck-naked a** about high-handed, arrogant dismissals of an entire group of people and their likes and dislikes...

And who are you to call anyone or anything pathetic? Do you routinely walk on water and feed 5000 people with a few fishes and a couple loaves of bread? No? Then, please, keep your pseudo-intellectual opinions in a safe place---to yourself...

I'm no saint, nor do I pretend to be an authority on things I've never done...this thread is about replacing Ole Miss's Colonel Reb with a new 'Balck Bear' mascot...NOT a place for you to get a stiff neck from looking down your nose at others who are different than you...whether yea or nay, there was a spirited back and forth going on, and I may have learned a thing or two about Southern lifestyle, heritage, and customs...

If you want to dump on colleges, their adult alumni, their mascots, etc, then that's your right, as this is a chat forum, and thus a place where ideas and opinions can be freely expressed...but know that there are those here who will not sit idly by while you throw peeled grapes at the rest of us 'unwashed' from your perch on Mt Olympus...in short, if you post BS, expect to get called on it
Captain nailed it yet again!

Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Back to the mascot for a minute. As I said in a previous post, the retirement of Colonel Reb doesn't bother me as I thought he wasn't a good mascot for a sports team anyway, and at 24 years old he was hardly a long standing tradition... but I wonder if this would be easier to take for some people if a little imagination was put into the selection process for a new mascot? A black bear? He isn't even a ferocious bear. Come on.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,599 times
Someone upthread mentioned "loose funding"

Maybe they lose income because folks can't spell and it has nothing to do with a mascot?

I don't care, frankly... but you must admit a racist mascot logo isn't a good idea.
A Confederate Civil War Colonel? C'mon people....

Bad PR if nothing else. Welcome to the rest of the world outside of Mississippi.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Someone upthread mentioned "loose funding"

Maybe they lose income because folks can't spell and it has nothing to do with a mascot?

I don't care, frankly... but you must admit a racist mascot logo isn't a good idea.
A Confederate Civil War Colonel? C'mon people....

Bad PR if nothing else. Welcome to the rest of the world outside of Mississippi.
Thank you!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Default Well, that's what I get for being NICE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post

And who appointed you 'The New Miss Ann Coulter'? Or are you perhaps trying to be Andy Rooney? Phyllis Schlafly thinking she's George Kennedy? Jerry Springer?

Anyway, there are far worse things people say about Ole Miss than I relayed. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, in calling them aristocratic, anachronistic, indolent, and genteel. That's their fantasy self-image...as existing as Living Literature...straight out of Faulkner. I was pretending along with them, that they were those things. I did so in defense of Colonel Reb. As mascots go, he's one of the best.

I didn't relay the facetious explanation of a friend, who, early-on described the Ole Miss social scene to me: "Oh, Honey! They're all from the finest families in their home towns! They're the best families, 'cause they actually have 'lectric winderz on their Chivvuhlaay Caprices! That's what makes them the best families."

I did not call those people "Prepnecks" (Rednecks who think they're Preppies). I did not quote our neighbor's kid, who when asked about considering the school said, "Mom, Ole Miss isn't a school: it's a disease."

No: I prefer to think of the place in the way that a Cocaine-snorting sorority Suzy from there taught me to see it. Back before we dumped our residential rental properties, this cute thing, about 35, and much the worse for wear, in a black cocktail dress, meandered up to me, as I was leaving a unit where we were having problems. She was a 'friend' of another tenant, and mistook me for the occupant. "Hi! Do y'all have any Coke?"

"I've got a two-liter Tab down in the Car. Hold on, I'll go get it for you."

"No! Not that kind of Coke. I heard y'all had the other kind."

"OH! With Sugar! So you can mix drinks? Sorry."

"NO! You know. Cocaine!" About five minutes later, as I was checking out the re-key job, I heard her yell down the stairwell. "Like they say...You never graduate from Ole Miss." Indeed.

I didn't say that when we lived in the Jackson Metro, I did my shopping out-of-town, in order to avoid the sneers of the bitter divorcees (Ole Miss Alums) who owned and staffed 'the better shops'.

And I didn't quote a single one of the people who attempt to teach within the School of Medicine. Nor will I.

Oh, and not once did I call it a Joke School. Why should I, when so many others do?

But back to you, dear... Actually, your assertion that no one on a college campus gives a (string of obscenities) about what a (string of insults) like me thinks...well, that could not be further from the truth. Fundraisers from every College that I or my children have attended (as well as a certain other one I've never set foot on) schmooze me much. To whatever degree my opinion of their school equates with my writing of checks, they care a lot.

I'm sorry that the quality of your slumber was enhanced by thinking that the opinions of (string of insults) like me are irrelevant to people on college campuses, and hope that you can, instead, take comfort in Jesus, who, as you made it clear, is nothing like me.

Oh, and I live on Iron Mountain, not Mount Olympus. It's more expensive than anything on the slopes of Muncibeddu. However, we do have a little family retreat on one of the Lipari islands...and sometimes you can see Muncibeddu (Olympus) from there. So you are not entirely incorrect about absolutely everything.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 10-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: ..our..

Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
And who appointed you 'The New Miss Ann Coulter'? Or are you perhaps trying to be Andy Rooney? Phyllis Schlafly thinking she's George Kennedy? Jerry Springer?

Anyway, there are far worse things people say about Ole Miss than I relayed. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, in calling them aristocratic, anachronistic, indolent, and genteel. That's their fantasy self-image...as existing as Living Literature...straight out of Faulkner. I was pretending along with them, that they were those things. I did so in defense of Colonel Reb. As mascots go, he's one of the best.

I didn't relay the facetious explanation of a friend, who, early-on described the Ole Miss social scene to me: "Oh, Honey! They're all from the finest families in their home towns! They're the best families, 'cause they actually have 'lectric winderz on their Chivvuhlaay Caprices! That's what makes them the best families."

I did not call those people "Prepnecks" (Rednecks who think they're Preppies). I did not quote our neighbor's kid, who when asked about considering the school said, "Mom, Ole Miss isn't a school: it's a disease."

No: I prefer to think of the place in the way that a Cocaine-snorting sorority Suzy from there taught me to see it. Back before we dumped our residential rental properties, this cute thing, about 35, and much the worse for wear, in a black cocktail dress, meandered up to me, as I was leaving a unit where we were having problems. She was a 'friend' of another tenant, and mistook me for the occupant. "Hi! Do y'all have any Coke?"

"I've got a two-liter Tab down in the Car. Hold on, I'll go get it for you."

"No! Not that kind of Coke. I heard y'all had the other kind."

"OH! With Sugar! So you can mix drinks? Sorry."

"NO! You know. Cocaine!" About five minutes later, as I was checking out the re-key job, I heard her yell down the stairwell. "Like they say...You never graduate from Ole Miss." Indeed.

I didn't say that when we lived in the Jackson Metro, I did my shopping out-of-town, in order to avoid the sneers of the bitter divorcees (Ole Miss Alums) who owned and staffed 'the better shops'.

And I didn't quote a single one of the people who attempt to teach within the School of Medicine. Nor will I.

Oh, and not once did I call it a Joke School. Why should I, when so many others do?

But back to you, dear... Actually, your assertion that no one on a college campus gives a (string of obscenities) about what a (string of insults) like me thinks...well, that could not be further from the truth. Fundraisers from every College that I or my children have attended (as well as a certain other one I've never set foot on) schmooze me much. To whatever degree my opinion of their school equates with my writing of checks, they care a lot.

I'm sorry that the quality of your slumber was enhanced by thinking that the opinions of (string of insults) like me are irrelevant to people on college campuses, and hope that you can, instead, take comfort in Jesus, who, as you made it clear, is nothing like me.

Oh, and I live on Iron Mountain, not Mount Olympus. It's more expensive than anything on the slopes of Muncibeddu. However, we do have a little family retreat on one of the Lipari islands...and sometimes you can see Muncibeddu (Olympus) from there. So you are not entirely incorrect about absolutely everything.
After reading this post I feel that I have just lost 30 seconds of my life that I will never get back. Your condescending attitude is the exact same as the Ole Miss Alum that you take delight in demeaning. Pot meet kettle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi