U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 06:33 PM

45 posts, read 96,869 times

Advertisements

So i have a few questions about Olive Branch? Is it a good place to move too? I've looked at houses and they are really affordable, I was happy about that . What are the best neighborhoods to move too? One that is kid friendly with great schools. How are the people there? If anyone has any pictures that would be great Just give me your opinion about Olive Branch? Oh, and what about holidays? Does the town do a lot for the holidays? I know i'm full of questions Just answer any you want. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,771,021 times
Yes, Olive Branch is a great area. It's also a large area. You can't go wrong with anything south of Goodman Rd, which is the main drag, along roads such as Hwy 305, Pleasant Hill Rd, College Rd, Church Rd, and Nail Rd. Also, on the east side of the interstate, the area along Center Hill Rd., which runs along the south side of Olive Branch is also very nice. Actually, almost anything in DeSoto County from Goodman Rd all the way down to Hernando is a good area, ranging from zero lot-line subdivisions to homes on 5 acre lots.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,391,415 times
A lot of questions.
Good place - In my opinion, yes. Technically, I don't live in OB but it is less than 50 feet from my property line.
Neighborhoods - That's a loaded question. What are you looking for? What size house? Close to a school? The elementary schools are dotted all over the place. There is only one high school. I have no idea about middle or jr. high schools.
People - Like anywhere else in the South.
Holidays - There are fireworks for the 4th. There is the occasional parade.
Opinion - It was our 2nd choice when we built. We chose Southaven because we found a great lot at a great price. In this section of Southaven, I still have an OB phone number.

If you can get more detailed, I can give you better answers.

Since you were looking at Collierville, what made you look into OB?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:22 PM

45 posts, read 96,869 times
Thank you both for your reply, and to Robert_J, because i was interested in collierville (still an option) but i also read a lot of Olive Branch and it seems like a very nice place as well. Have you ever been there? And for the holidays, do they do stuff for halloween and christmas too? And for neighborhoods, i was looking for a neighborhood with charm and character, houses between $150,000-$300,000, more than 2,000 sq. ft, with nice schools, and kid friendly. Oh, and how is the downtown area?

Last edited by jessica41108; 10-14-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 2,771,021 times
If you want historic charm and character, you should look at Hernando. It fits your description perfectly. Olive Branch has more the feel of pleasant suburb.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:49 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,391,415 times
City of Olive Branch Mississippi - Home Page
From there follow links to Old Towne (the downtown section).

I'm not sure there is an organized Halloween event but there should be dozens of organizations doing things. Haunted house fundraisers and things. We usually spend Halloween in Hernando with family so we can see their kids all dressed up and having fun. I think there is a Christmas parade. Southaven lights up one of the parks.

Depending on location and amenities, that price will easily by a 2,000 sq. ft house. In fact, the high number can get you 3,000 or 4,000 sq. ft.

All of the schools are under the same county school board so if you choose OB, Southaven, Hernando, Walls or the county, then you get a similar school. From what I've noticed, they all look similar. They use the same plans for all of the new schools that have recently opened. Some are larger than others but they are the same basic shape. I think it's a great idea to save money.

Since they border each other, you also get benefits of Southaven. Like the 17 baseball fields at Snowden Grove Park. The amphitheater that hosts concerts of nationally known acts. The Desoto Civic Center with the River Kings ice hockey team, more concerts, basketball, etc. The softball fields at Greenbrook park that host the Gulf South softball tourney.

As far as homes go, pick some zip codes and hit the real estate sites. There are homes near me starting at $120,000 and going to $500,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi