Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Tupelo schools are not the nightmare that schools in the Delta are. An influx of a relatively small number of "urban" blacks from Memphis City Schools, and the fear that the school system was going to turn into something worse was enough to cause a self-perpetuating "white flight".

If I actually lived in the district, I would not hesitate to put my children in the school system here.
For reasons not fully understood, Mississippimagnolia becomes rather hysterical when Tupelo is discussed. She even claims (ridiculously) that her husband was paid extra by the government when they were forced to live in Mississippi.

My step daughter teaches in Tupelo and her son goes to Tupelo High. He does well; will go to Ole Miss on scholarship, as does our neighbor's son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
Quote:
For reasons not fully understood, Mississippimagnolia becomes rather hysterical when Tupelo is discussed. She even claims (ridiculously) that her husband was paid extra by the government when they were forced to live in Mississippi.
That's not exactly what I said. The government offers incentives to folks willing to live in areas that are considered "hardships". Tupelo would never quality. Nice try, though.

I am from Tupelo. And I love the town. But I hate the way so many residents refuse to acknowledge the problems in the area. Seriously? You're going to use an Ole Miss scholarship as an example? My oldest is at Ole Miss on a scholarship. It's really not a difficult thing to get. Again, at least be honest.

The fact that your stepdaughter teaches in Tupelo is interesting, but not relevant at all. I taught in Tupelo years ago. The middle school wasn't good then, and it isn't good now.

Again, you are a perfect example of the problem. I posted statistical data. Instead of responding to that information, you made a completely unrelated, personal attack.

Stick to the facts. People might take take you a little more seriously. Show me a fact that demonstrates that Tupelo High School has not slipped in the last few years. Please provide evidence that my statement indicating that Tupelo High School is on "academic watch" is inaccurate. Personally, I wouldn't put my kids in a school that was academic watch regardless of reason.

Show me data that refutes the information I provided regarding "white flight" out of Tupelo.

Please refrain from nonsense and post actual fact. You make Tupelo look even worse when you fail address the issues.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM

See?

I suspect she couldn't get along and got herself fired back when she was a teacher. But that's just a guess.

Evidently it really matters to her whether I am black or white. Thank God it doesn't matter to my neighbor.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I suspect she couldn't get along and got herself fired back when she was a teacher. But that's just a guess.
Really? We were transferred. As you so clearly indicated in your initial attack, my husband works for the government. We move every 3-4 years. So no. I was not fired. I enjoyed my time teaching in the schools. And unfortunately, the majority of the teachers I worked with felt the same way that I do. The schools were once very good. They are declining at an alarming rate.

Quote:
Evidently it really matters to her whether I am black or white. Thank God it doesn't matter to my neighbor.
Where did I even suggest that it matters? Go back and re-read. And please cite your example.

The only retort you have to my facts are personal attacks. I would be more than happy to debate interpretations of actual data. I love Tupelo. And I would love for people to develop a real interest in improving the school situation before it gets any worse. However, I will not debate with you if you cannot post anything but personal attacks.

Go back and read the articles I posted. They are not difficult to understand. Tupelo is in trouble. Mayor Reed has acknowledged the problem several times. Informed, educated citizens of the town are also aware of the issue. There are have numerous improvement plans submitted. The schools are not good. Pretending that they are will not make the problem go away. Tupelo High School went from a Blue Ribbon School to a school on Academic Watch in just a few short years. You cannot debate that fact. More people are leaving Tupelo every year to live in the surrounding communities. The reasons they cite are 1)Schools and 2) Crime. Again, that's not debatable. I posted statistical data to back up the assertion.

You can debate without resorting to personal attacks. All you are doing is making Tupelo look bad with your ridiculous statements.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
You can go to the Mississippi Dept of Education website, look up the MAARS test score data, and see test scores and demographics for every school in the state.

If you compare Tupelo 8th graders, their test score results are virtually identical to Oxford. The racial demographics are the same (around 48% African American and 50% Caucasian) and the % of students scoring "proficient" or better on the school tests in math and writing are virtually identical by race.

The data is also almost identical in Starkville and suburban schools such as Northwest Rankin outside Jackson and Oak Grove outside Hattiesburg. For whatever reason, about 75 to 85% of caucasian students score proficient or better. If you check the scores in Tupelo rural county schools, the white students score much lower than children in the city, which is almost certainly a function of their family educational status, but these schools are 90% caucasian due to location.

Tupelo's crime rate is very low. I doubt they have even 1 murder per year.

No doubt Mississippi Magnolia was not pleased with her experience with Tupelo schools, since she writes about it in this forum almost daily. However, the test score data are almost perfectly predictable based on family background status (urban versus rural, ethnicity).

Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
No doubt Mississippi Magnolia was not pleased with her experience with Tupelo schools, since she writes about it in this forum almost daily. However, the test score data are almost perfectly predictable based on family background status (urban versus rural, ethnicity).
I guess the firing of the High School principal isn't indicative of any problem either, is it? I'm not comparing Tupelo schools to other Mississippi schools. That would be a complete joke. Most of the schools in Mississippi are terrible. Of course Tupelo looks good compared to say, Greenville. But compare the schools to other schools in the Country and see what the data reveals. Are you suggesting that Mississippi kids don't deserve to be in good schools? That "tolerable " is ok because other schools are worse? Sorry, but I think Tupelo kids deserve better.

Care to comment on the "Academic Watch" issue, brick? It's obvious that this issue is completely avoided when the issue of schools comes up. If Tupelo High School is "fine", then why were they placed on academic watch? If things are fine, then why has the principal been fired? If things are so good, then why are there so many articles in the Journal about discipline problems in the schools?

I agree with you. Crime is very low in Tupelo. I really hope it stays that way. But the schools are in trouble. I am really glad that the School Board, the City Counsel, and the Mayor are willing to face the problem and take steps toward improvement. That's what intelligent, rational people do when faced with a problem. Pretending the problems don't exist just creates additional problems.

Until the schools get better, people will continue to leave Tupelo. And the City won't attract the type of residents it needs to thrive.

Schools, housing pull families from Tupelo

There are articles like this everywhere. This is very real crisis for the City. I love Tupelo. My family has lived in the City for generations. I don't want to see it become Greenville. But if something is not done to stop the decline of the public schools, it will.

You see me writing in this forum because I think this issue is so important. I think the quality of schools in an area illuminates the values of the community. And right now, Tupelo is sending the message that education just isn't that important. That's really, really sad. A school on "academic watch" is NOT good enough for the kids in Tupelo. And the fact that so many residents avoid the problem says a lot of about the values of the community as a whole.

Last edited by mississippimagnolia; 03-31-2011 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 22,486 times
Default Your Tupelo post on City-Date Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio View Post
Oxford is beautiful, but it's 50 miles away from Blue Springs. Tupelo is nice and 18 miles away. New Albany is pleasant but too small based on your description.

There are lots of nice neighborhoods all around Tupelo - as I mentioned the historic district just north of Main St (great for walking to Tupelo's small but pleasant downtown main street area). The prettiest area is along Lakeshire Drive (wooded, rolling, big expensive homes), and there are lots of new subdivisions on the west side of town around Tupelo Country Club just west of the airport. This area has the feel of new homes in new subdivisions with moderate to small yards. There are other new subdivisions a little further south roughly in the vicinty of Tupelo High School.

North of the interstate there is a variety of new subvisions off Birmingham Ridge Rd and to the east a few miles, in a hilly, wooded area near Elvis Presley Lake. There aren't really any truly bad areas around town. As far as parks, children's activities, shopping etc - it's all there. You'll find pretty much anything you need for children.
Dear brickpatio... I have really enjoyed reading your posts about Tupelo and the surrounding areas ! My husband will be retiring soon, and we are very interested in Tupelo and the immediate surrounding area. Oxford looks gorgeous ! My question is this: Is what you wrote a couple of years ago in this post, still accurate today in 2013 ? We are debating between Florida and MS. MS seems to have more advantageous tax benefits for retirees, but we want to be in an area that is safe, clean and relatively crime free with a small town feel and full of southern charm. I grew up in Virginia so I am well acquainted with hot and humid summers. Thank you so much for your reply if you should happen to see this !

Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
Yes, these things are definitely true about Tupelo and Oxford. They are both far enough north that temperatures and humidity are a tad bit lower, e.g average daily high temps in January around 52 degrees and July 88 degrees. They will usually get light snow once a year or so.

Tupelo is very clean, mostly new, and low-crime. In the usa.com website, you can look up both cities and find a section on crime rates. In most years, both cities have zero homicides.

Tupelo is slightly larger and feels more business-oriented, with its own mall and related stores. Oxford is more historic and centers around the university. Traffic is virtually non-existent in both places and they do have culture (restaurants, churches, symphony, country clubs, etc).

I would assume by comparison, Florida offers the beach, winter temps in the 70s, and large cities, but on the other hand is far more crowded, with more crime, traffic, and a slightly less genteel culture compared to polite and church-oriented Mississippi.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,194 times
Is Tupelo pit bull friendly??

Old 11-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty cowgirl View Post
Is Tupelo pit bull friendly??
No. Pit bulls are restricted in that they are required to wear special collars, owners are required to keep fences and owners are required to be insured. Generally, people will not want your pit bull living next to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi