Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 7,328 times

Advertisements

Our family will soon be relocating from Ohio to the Hattiesburg/Laurel area. From our research so far, it seems that Oak Grove is a good school district. We are looking for a nice area to raise our four small children aged 1, 3, 5, and 9. We want a welcoming community that will embrace newcomers with lots of family oriented activity. Coming from a Bible-based, non-denominational church here, we'll also be looking for a somewhat similar church with a strong children's ministry. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,665 times
I would suggest Canebrake if you are looking for a good community for your children. If you can't stomach the prices then go for lake serene. As far as churches go, I think there is a large non-dinomi on 98 called "river of life" or something like that. They have a jungle gym out back of the facility so I guess they are kid friendly.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:18 AM

17 posts, read 126,371 times
There are a lot of nice communities in Hattiesburg. Canebrake is an expensive community but great for families. I have family that lives in Canebrake and the rules and regulations are ridiculous. Oak Grove is definitely one of the best schools in Hattiesburg. Another nice area is Petal, right outside of Hattiesburg. They have a nice school that is not as large but still 5A. It is a nice community and they have more afforadable housing, such as Pecan Lakes, a new s/d with brand new houses ranging from 100-150 thousand. Great place for children and there are a few churches in Petal but it takes about 5 minutes to get to downtown or uptown Hattiesburg.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,226 times
Default Hattiesburg, MSz

I go to River of Life and it's an awesome non-denominational church and school! Oak Grove is the place to be. There are many family friendly neighborhoods here. OG is in Lamar county. Lamar county taxes are lower than Forrest County and Lamar county schools provide better programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1137 View Post
Our family will soon be relocating from Ohio to the Hattiesburg/Laurel area. From our research so far, it seems that Oak Grove is a good school district. We are looking for a nice area to raise our four small children aged 1, 3, 5, and 9. We want a welcoming community that will embrace newcomers with lots of family oriented activity. Coming from a Bible-based, non-denominational church here, we'll also be looking for a somewhat similar church with a strong children's ministry. Any suggestions?

Old 04-26-2008, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 13,666 times
Default Lake Serene

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1137 View Post
I live on Lake Serene in a big house(4beds&4baths) with huge lake shoreline, a sandy beach with palm trees and a pier. Just ideal for small kids, plenty of grass space for swings and horse play. Lake Serene is just fantastic place to live, almost no regulations, no uptight neighbors, as in Canebreak, but the same excelent schools, shops and churches.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-28-2008 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: no advertising houses for sale in state forums

Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 13,666 times
Lake Serene is great! Same area as Canebreak only more relaxed which better for kids than sooo uptight Canebreak!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:05 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
The West Jones High School district outside of Laurel is a very pretty area and West Jones and it's satellite schools are all very good schools.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 AM

63 posts, read 223,283 times
I agree with those who are directing you towards Oak Grove or Petal. Both have excellent school systems and since you have four children, those two places would suit you best. Petal is outside of Hattiesburg and it is a smaller town so if you are looking for something a little more quiet, choose Petal. Although it is smaller, it is still only a ten or fifteen minute drive to Hattiesburg. Oak Grove is also a nice place. Again, the schools are good and it is a lot larger than Petal. The area in Oak Grove has been growing immensely over the past few years and there is excellent shopping and dining options. You can't go wrong with Petal or Oak Grove.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM

9 posts, read 31,799 times
The Hattiesburg area is basically nothing but bars and resturants. Very loud, lively, fast paced and fun community if you are a teenager or young adult. Laurel is slower paced and more laid back several HUGE churches with awesome youth groups, check out Christ's Church, Highland, and Life Church. Very tight knit community. Would be glad to have ya'll over for a cook out anytime to welcome to the area!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,611 times
First off, Fish1137, let me say welcome to Mississippi. Oak Grove is a great place to raise a family. Of course, Petal is as well. Lived in both areas while raising my children. The schools are good and the churches are plenty to choose from. You can't go wrong in those areas unless you happen to move in by me. The cops don't show up near as much since I have been in rehab and the meds seem to to be working. Joking, of course. First Baptist in Petal is a good church that welcomes kids as well as First in Hattiesburg. Good luck in finding a place. You will love us here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi