Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM

30 posts, read 85,993 times

Advertisements

Just FYI,

The orgin of the term "redneck" was to distinguish the revolting Coal Miners of West Virginia. Their signature mark was the "red bandana" they wore around their necks thus, making them a "red neck."

Thanks History Channel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM

119 posts, read 361,836 times
Any state is only as horrible as you make it- learn to find the joy in the smaller things, that will give you a better attitude overall. I grew up in Greenville (which many consider to be hell on earth) and honestly, I enjoyed my time there. I have traveled extensive across the United States and have visited most of the states, and Mississippi and the rest of the South are still my favorite places to be.

Oh and by the way, when I was in Seattle and Portland (which I came too with a positive mindset), I absolutely hated them. I would never want to live there, too rainy and depressing for me. Plus the people are really, really strange up there...

Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 PM

171 posts, read 217,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Although I can understand the frustration with the lack of clothing options in Mississippi at your immediate disposal, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything Abercrombie and Fitch. Another garbage brand that sells because it somehow became popular & trend. Maybe I should design cheap clothes that only come in a handful of pastel or bleak colors, mark up the price, and then stamp the name of the company all over it.

3 brands I'll never buy/wear that are trendy despite being unoriginal, ugly as sin, etc: Ed Hardy, Affliction, & Abercrombie and Fitch

Don't forget Southpole

Old 01-05-2012, 12:09 AM

171 posts, read 217,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
...and the CD Oscar goes to...GrandviewGloria!!!!

Truthfully, the best post I EVER read on CD.
Ever.

To think you'd find it on the Mississippi forum...

oh lordy, lol.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 AM

217 posts, read 312,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
What a snob.

No offence, but u aint that intelligent arent u ?

what were u thinkin moving to MISSISSIPPI?
It aint like u didnt know it was "redneck" as u call it.
it aint like u didnt know people hunt in ms.

For a snobby fellow like you i would suggest just stay out of the south entirely and go to NYC or smth.
You are calling him an "Snob" and at the same time you are telling him to move to NYC like if its a bad thing. At least in NYC you can have some fun, unlike Mississippi where all you do is hunt and drink beers with other redneck.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,958,672 times
I am from Mississippi, and the worst thing about Mississippi is truly its people.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:34 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,565,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I am from Mississippi, and the worst thing about Mississippi is truly its people.
I gather you are including yourself in that? I know folks from MS and they are really well educated and good folks. Do you know all the people in that state?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Quote:
I'm kind of interested in that statement. How about giving us some more information, David?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,958,672 times
I didn't say that everyone from Mississippi a horrible person. However, the close-minded attitudes of a majority of its residents really keep the state frozen in time. Face, either you or a large percentage the of people you know (both black and white) are extremely racist. The people are very, very conservative and not accepting of other people or their ideals.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Quote:
I didn't say that everyone from Mississippi a horrible person. However, the close-minded attitudes of a majority of its residents really keep the state frozen in time. Face, either you or a large percentage the of people you know (both black and white) are extremely racist. The people are very, very conservative and not accepting of other people or their ideals.
I don't think that's exactly unfair. The small towns that are so prevalent in Mississippi are almost impossible for "outsiders" to break in to. My town certainly is. But that was also true where I lived in Alabama, and just as true in Texas.

But it's ironic, don't you think? Half the country longing for the good old days, and the other half sneering at Mississippi because it is frozen in time.
Truth is, in order to be comfortable in Mississippi, you must bring yourself with you, just like everywhere else.

If you are someone who needs others to be friendly and inviting in order to feel good about yourself, you should probably just stay where you are. If you are unsure who you are or what your standards are, and need the people around you to provide you with the standards you find so elusive, then just stay home.

If, for example, you do not know where you stand insofar as your religion goes, and require that everyone share your beliefs, you will be disappointed here. In Mississippi, everyone will assume you are a Christian. If you are, good; be quiet about it. If you are not, fine; be quiet about it.

If you are racist, be quiet about it; if you are tolerant, be quiet about it.

I have lived in MS, AL, TX. GA, IL, CA, WA and some others, and I find nothing about the above suggestions that would not apply everywhere. My failures have been cause by my attempt to change the people where I was instead of making an effort to listen to them and understand their point of view.

I like Mississippi. It works for me. I am a non Christian, well educated retired man. Yes, it grates on my ears how the local people talk about each other constantly. And it grates on me how they idolize football. But in Texas it grated on me how they thump their chests and scream about the virtues of being Texan. And in California, the Valley Girl Speak (like.....omyGod!) grated on me. It is always something, somewhere.

You'll do well in Mississippi if you bring yourself with you. If you come here searching for yourself, or searching for people to endorse you, the chances for success are not so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi