Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 PM

731 posts, read 1,360,247 times

Advertisements

I live in Arkansas, do you think Dallas or St. Louis has gucci or abcrombie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowky View Post
I even went to the mall to just buy abcrombie; Which they dont even have! The nearest place to buy gucci will be in atlanta, ga which i only visit once a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,365,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I live in Arkansas, do you think Dallas or St. Louis has gucci or abcrombie?
Dallas probably do, they have high ends stores like Saks, so Im sure they do have high end brands too..

Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,365,211 times
Abcrombie most places will have one of those stores.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 16,073 times
ok it sounds like u need to move if u dont like it here then just move since u seem to not have a problem with that on another note i do not care for ms but its not because of dang shopping i just want to go to another state its on my bucket list and as soon as i sell my house my husband and i are packing the kids and dogs up and we are gone and i am only twenty five so it just sounds like u need to learn what is important in life and not worry so much what other people say and if it wasnt for us rednecks as u call ur snobish little a** would not have a leg to stand on its good harted people that come from the south that fight for this country and put in the man hours to do all the little and big jobs that pricks like u would die if u even dreamed of doing

Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 PM

91 posts, read 302,437 times
Default Location Location Location

I understand as a 21 year old you have experienced a form of culture shock from a metropolitan perspective. I'm formerly of Chicago and lived in the malls. Basically you will find stores like Nordstrum, Gucci, Chanel and other big city favorites in, guess where...big cities. You always have the option to go online and puchase Louis Vitton and other designer favorites. Mississippi is the most beautiful state I've ever lived in and wouldn't trade it for the world. I was a jet setting speedster who came to appreciate the finer things in life that are not based on materialistic value. Until then your best best is to live in a major city, which is why I understand why you're so bitter. When I lived in a big city I was bitter too, now I'm a happy camper. Also age is a factor and you are used to a fast paced excitement, which can be found in a major city like "Jackson Mississippi or Atlanta Georgia and Dallas Texas" where I go when I want to speed up the pace every blue moon. Take off on Friday night come back Sunday morning and you'll be fine. Until then, don't knock this beautiful state that I call my little piece of heaven on earth. You're only 21, until you have lived a little, then and only then will you be able to appreciate the things that you are currently taking for granted.

Quote:
To go shopping you have to leave the state. There is no place to buy anything that i would bear to have people see me in. I even went to the mall to just buy abcrombie; Which they dont even have! The nearest place to buy gucci will be in atlanta, ga which i only visit once a year. I can see why adults might like the state. As for a 21 year old (who does not hunt or partake in other barbaric redneck activities) This state has to be one of the worst states i lived in. The gambling is also bad; i guess its fine for the lower class people. I mean its nothing like Las vegas or even CA.

P.S have lived in 6 states only in the south; yet this is the first one that i felt im in a 3rd world country.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,569,385 times
Quote:
have lived in 6 states only in the south; yet this is the first one that i felt im in a 3rd world country.
Question... have you ever been to a 3rd world country? I have, and it was nothing like Mississippi, however, I had a blast while I was there because I didn't go with any preconceived superiority complex or negative connotations. I took things as they were, found the good, and enjoyed it.

It's all in the attitude.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 AM

12 posts, read 33,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Question... have you ever been to a 3rd world country? I have, and it was nothing like Mississippi, however, I had a blast while I was there because I didn't go with any preconceived superiority complex or negative connotations. I took things as they were, found the good, and enjoyed it.

It's all in the attitude.

That is SO true! I am hoping someday soon to live in Mississippi and
I'm coming for exactly the reasons that other person doesn't like it
there--I want privacy, peace and a quiet life.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM

371 posts, read 391,515 times
While the original post was poorly written due to the snobbery in it, most of it was accurate.

I've been in the state 9 months, and honestly hate it. This is the worst place I've ever been, and when my tour here is complete. I've lived in Washington state, Hawaii, Florida and Japan. I'll be so grateful to never set foot in the state again. My complaints:

1. Crime rates that are unbelievable. While the natives here in Meridian celebrate that the crime rate is not like NYC, they are too ignorant to realize NYC has a massively lower crime rate.

2. I hate welfare junkies and the career unemployed. But that's a way of life around here. Everyone has an excuse, I I really don't care to hear any of them.

3. I'm not a fan of hypocrites, but it's all I meet here. The state is full of Christians yet they seem to think divorce, single parenting and crime is acceptable. Abortion is wrong, but unprotected premarital sex is right.

4. Lack of activities. I like biking, scuba, nightlife, hiking, national parks and sightseeing. Biking is possible, but sketchy since the drivers are the worst I've seen. How much Civil War sightseeing can a person do before it's boring?

5. All of the "keeping it real" or "thug life" culture. It's garbage, and it's everywhere.

6. The lack of intelligent people. It isn't so much that the people lack knowledge,I can understand and accept that. But they believe things that are not true, and are dead set it is a fact. There are a lot of people that seem to lack the ability to learn.

7. I sincerely hate paying $720 a month for an apartment just so I don't have to be in a slum. I paid $700 for a place in Hawaii and $680/month for a place in Japan. Both places were better located to work, shopping and fun without having to be surrounded by slums.

8. I enjoy fishing, just wish I could find some better places. Hawaii and Japan had great fishing, but it's saltwater and isn't really fair to compare to freshwater fishing.

9. Are there any non-muddy lakes that allow swimming?

10. I feel that free speech and free thought is severely stifled in this state. Mention the garbage cultures and people cry racism, mention the crime and you get outright denial. Wake up MS, if you want investors to come here you'll need to fix the problems here.

11. The South in general is lacking. MS, AL, LA and GA don't seem to have much to offer. All the cities with populations over 30,000 are so rundown and have crime rates that should make everyone ashamed. There are little areas of niceness, but if someone offers me a steak full of maggots and points to a corner and say "that part is good" I'd still throw the steak out.

For the people that believe the lies (it's low crime and wonderful communities) and have always been in this region I'm sure it's fine. But for the people that have lived in other places with a lot of things to do, low crime and intelligent people MS is pretty horrible.

So please bash away, call me a troll and try to say my comments are all lies. But sleep well knowing that in 2 years you'll be rid of me recognizing how messed up this place really is.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM

62 posts, read 145,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
While the original post was poorly written due to the snobbery in it, most of it was accurate.

I've been in the state 9 months, and honestly hate it. This is the worst place I've ever been, and when my tour here is complete. I've lived in Washington state, Hawaii, Florida and Japan. I'll be so grateful to never set foot in the state again. My complaints:

1. Crime rates that are unbelievable. While the natives here in Meridian celebrate that the crime rate is not like NYC, they are too ignorant to realize NYC has a massively lower crime rate.

2. I hate welfare junkies and the career unemployed. But that's a way of life around here. Everyone has an excuse, I I really don't care to hear any of them.

3. I'm not a fan of hypocrites, but it's all I meet here. The state is full of Christians yet they seem to think divorce, single parenting and crime is acceptable. Abortion is wrong, but unprotected premarital sex is right.

4. Lack of activities. I like biking, scuba, nightlife, hiking, national parks and sightseeing. Biking is possible, but sketchy since the drivers are the worst I've seen. How much Civil War sightseeing can a person do before it's boring?

5. All of the "keeping it real" or "thug life" culture. It's garbage, and it's everywhere.

6. The lack of intelligent people. It isn't so much that the people lack knowledge,I can understand and accept that. But they believe things that are not true, and are dead set it is a fact. There are a lot of people that seem to lack the ability to learn.

7. I sincerely hate paying $720 a month for an apartment just so I don't have to be in a slum. I paid $700 for a place in Hawaii and $680/month for a place in Japan. Both places were better located to work, shopping and fun without having to be surrounded by slums.

8. I enjoy fishing, just wish I could find some better places. Hawaii and Japan had great fishing, but it's saltwater and isn't really fair to compare to freshwater fishing.

9. Are there any non-muddy lakes that allow swimming?

10. I feel that free speech and free thought is severely stifled in this state. Mention the garbage cultures and people cry racism, mention the crime and you get outright denial. Wake up MS, if you want investors to come here you'll need to fix the problems here.

11. The South in general is lacking. MS, AL, LA and GA don't seem to have much to offer. All the cities with populations over 30,000 are so rundown and have crime rates that should make everyone ashamed. There are little areas of niceness, but if someone offers me a steak full of maggots and points to a corner and say "that part is good" I'd still throw the steak out.

For the people that believe the lies (it's low crime and wonderful communities) and have always been in this region I'm sure it's fine. But for the people that have lived in other places with a lot of things to do, low crime and intelligent people MS is pretty horrible.

So please bash away, call me a troll and try to say my comments are all lies. But sleep well knowing that in 2 years you'll be rid of me recognizing how messed up this place really is.
Thanks for the insight. I don't live in MS, nor have I ever. I could potentially be moving down there for a job opportunity. The OP sounded like a complete tool bag but I respect your view and opinion of the location. Would you be able to go into more specifics of where you're located within MS? I'm assuming around some military base.

I'm from the east coast and near a big city, where there's always something to do. That said, I appreciate hearing the good and bad of the area while I'm making a decision to move out there.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:47 PM

371 posts, read 391,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsj81 View Post
Thanks for the insight. I don't live in MS, nor have I ever. I could potentially be moving down there for a job opportunity. The OP sounded like a complete tool bag but I respect your view and opinion of the location. Would you be able to go into more specifics of where you're located within MS? I'm assuming around some military base.

I'm from the east coast and near a big city, where there's always something to do. That said, I appreciate hearing the good and bad of the area while I'm making a decision to move out there.

I'm in Meridian. This city has a declining population, due to the number of people fleeing to surrounding smaller towns. There are homes for sale here for $30,000 that are right in town and need work, but even if you fix it up it will be difficult to make a profitable sale due to the crime.

If the job paid enough so that you could have a very large liquid amount each month it might be worth it just to leap forward on a retirement savings plan. But I earn $60k/year and would gladly accept a pay cut to get sent to a new location. I wouldn't want to live here unless the job paid at least $100k a year, since that would allow me to fly away on a routine basis and still save a lot of money.

You'll also want to check the crime rate of the city, population growth (a declining city is usually in bad shape), insurance rates (renters and car) and whatever cities you consider check out their home page. You can get an idea of events going on. I'd suggest looking at neighbor cities as well so you can really get an idea of what's available. This state has one of the highest obesity rates in the nation, and they rate in the top 3 for most uninsured drivers.

There is fishing and hunting, and I have met some really decent people that have tried to help find things to do, but in the end most people realize the state doesn't offer much. It hasn't been that I'm not trying to make the most of this state. Meridian has a nice central location, so it's convenient to leave. About 3 hours drive will land you in New Orleans, Pensacola or Memphis. I've been to NOLA 4 times and Memphis & Pensacola twice.

Another thing you'd have to get used to hearing is "it was better before Katrina". In hindsight most things look better, and the pictures I've seen and the info I've read show that it wasn't much different. Some areas are worse off, as businesses that were struggling before Katrina just called it quits and didn't rebuild. But, those areas were already dieing, Katrina just sped up the process. Other areas are better off now, as Katrina tore down some slums and forced the people to move away.

Oh, and the customer service here is the worst I've experienced in my life. If your complaints aren't being heard by the first person that works outside of an establishment you can bet it won't matter. Fast food places can mess up orders 30% of the time and making a major purchase is torture.

I'll give you an example. I bought a new car here, against the advice of numerous people. I'm your well informed buyer that downloads an invoice and finds 5 dealers that have the car for close to that price. From there I emailed the internet sales department of New South Nissan of Meridian my out of state quotes, the invoice price and offered to pay $500 more than the highest quote I had. They refused to answer emails. I sent emails for 4 days, then called. On the phone they were rude and said they couldn't accept my offer (although their website said they would match other dealers). I asked for a quote, and they refused to tell me, insisting I come down. Things spiraled downhill quickly and ended up calling Nissan consumer affairs to lodge a complaint, and they got involved and made the sale happen. I've called in similar complaints about Popeye's and McDonalds. But, if you're used to poor service maybe it won't bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi